Scabby rash on belly and back.

Breed: cocker mix
My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on her belly after I had her groomed. Now it is in about three places on her back. Could it be fleas or ticks? I have not treated it with anything. Thank you

Hi Linda, and thanks so much for your question!

Skin questions are always a little hard to answer over the internet without examining your dog, but I can certainly give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

Fleas are definitely a possibility. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can set them off with itchiness and scabs. The most common areas to see hair loss and scabs in a dog with a flea allergy is near the base of the tail or on the back of the neck. Some dogs with fleas will have flea dirt which are little black flecks that will smear a reddish color if you put them on a paper towel and smear them with water. If you do think that Molly has fleas then I highly recommend a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline.

It is also possible that these are areas of skin infection. Infections usually look crusty and red and sometimes have some flaky dandruff on them. If this is an infection, unfortunately it will not go away without a good course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

Ringworm is also possible, especially if the areas are in patches. Ringworm is actually a fungal infection and not a parasite. Again, you need prescription medication in order for it to go away. However, what you have described sounds much more like a bacterial skin infection than ringworm.

Some cocker spaniels can be prone to hypothyroidism. Dogs with low thyroid values will often have skin issues.

Unfortunately it does sound like a vet visit is necessary. Your vet should be able to diagnose the problem and will likely prescribe some antibiotics for a few weeks. Some skin infections can take up to 8 weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have more concerns!

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (13092 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (10126 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (126359 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (10952 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (14167 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (8371 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (16213 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (10258 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (37184 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (10893 views)