Scabby rash on belly and back.

Breed: cocker mix
My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on her belly after I had her groomed. Now it is in about three places on her back. Could it be fleas or ticks? I have not treated it with anything. Thank you

Hi Linda, and thanks so much for your question!

Skin questions are always a little hard to answer over the internet without examining your dog, but I can certainly give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

Fleas are definitely a possibility. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can set them off with itchiness and scabs. The most common areas to see hair loss and scabs in a dog with a flea allergy is near the base of the tail or on the back of the neck. Some dogs with fleas will have flea dirt which are little black flecks that will smear a reddish color if you put them on a paper towel and smear them with water. If you do think that Molly has fleas then I highly recommend a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline.

It is also possible that these are areas of skin infection. Infections usually look crusty and red and sometimes have some flaky dandruff on them. If this is an infection, unfortunately it will not go away without a good course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

Ringworm is also possible, especially if the areas are in patches. Ringworm is actually a fungal infection and not a parasite. Again, you need prescription medication in order for it to go away. However, what you have described sounds much more like a bacterial skin infection than ringworm.

Some cocker spaniels can be prone to hypothyroidism. Dogs with low thyroid values will often have skin issues.

Unfortunately it does sound like a vet visit is necessary. Your vet should be able to diagnose the problem and will likely prescribe some antibiotics for a few weeks. Some skin infections can take up to 8 weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have more concerns!

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (2285 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (15475 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (24283 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (10152 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (6808 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (12944 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (8048 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (5877 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (17911 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (2394 views)