Scabby rash on belly and back.

Breed: cocker mix
My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on her belly after I had her groomed. Now it is in about three places on her back. Could it be fleas or ticks? I have not treated it with anything. Thank you

Hi Linda, and thanks so much for your question!

Skin questions are always a little hard to answer over the internet without examining your dog, but I can certainly give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

Fleas are definitely a possibility. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can set them off with itchiness and scabs. The most common areas to see hair loss and scabs in a dog with a flea allergy is near the base of the tail or on the back of the neck. Some dogs with fleas will have flea dirt which are little black flecks that will smear a reddish color if you put them on a paper towel and smear them with water. If you do think that Molly has fleas then I highly recommend a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline.

It is also possible that these are areas of skin infection. Infections usually look crusty and red and sometimes have some flaky dandruff on them. If this is an infection, unfortunately it will not go away without a good course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

Ringworm is also possible, especially if the areas are in patches. Ringworm is actually a fungal infection and not a parasite. Again, you need prescription medication in order for it to go away. However, what you have described sounds much more like a bacterial skin infection than ringworm.

Some cocker spaniels can be prone to hypothyroidism. Dogs with low thyroid values will often have skin issues.

Unfortunately it does sound like a vet visit is necessary. Your vet should be able to diagnose the problem and will likely prescribe some antibiotics for a few weeks. Some skin infections can take up to 8 weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have more concerns!

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (24421 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (30223 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (17007 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (64769 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (8075 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (76179 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (3608 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (3532 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (5046 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (8083 views)