Scabby rash on belly and back.

Breed: cocker mix
My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on her belly after I had her groomed. Now it is in about three places on her back. Could it be fleas or ticks? I have not treated it with anything. Thank you

Hi Linda, and thanks so much for your question!

Skin questions are always a little hard to answer over the internet without examining your dog, but I can certainly give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

Fleas are definitely a possibility. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can set them off with itchiness and scabs. The most common areas to see hair loss and scabs in a dog with a flea allergy is near the base of the tail or on the back of the neck. Some dogs with fleas will have flea dirt which are little black flecks that will smear a reddish color if you put them on a paper towel and smear them with water. If you do think that Molly has fleas then I highly recommend a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline.

It is also possible that these are areas of skin infection. Infections usually look crusty and red and sometimes have some flaky dandruff on them. If this is an infection, unfortunately it will not go away without a good course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

Ringworm is also possible, especially if the areas are in patches. Ringworm is actually a fungal infection and not a parasite. Again, you need prescription medication in order for it to go away. However, what you have described sounds much more like a bacterial skin infection than ringworm.

Some cocker spaniels can be prone to hypothyroidism. Dogs with low thyroid values will often have skin issues.

Unfortunately it does sound like a vet visit is necessary. Your vet should be able to diagnose the problem and will likely prescribe some antibiotics for a few weeks. Some skin infections can take up to 8 weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have more concerns!

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (43814 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (4823 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (6703 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (10117 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (8688 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (5986 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (14003 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (3062 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (5514 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (9123 views)