Stop puppy from biting.

Breed: Maltese
How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is hurting me with her teeth.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

This is a common problem in puppies and can be frustrating!
Here is what I usually tell my clients about puppies who bite.

Puppies usually bite in order to get attention. And, unfortunately we usually give in to them! Most owners, when nipped at will either stroke the dog and say soothing things like, "that's ok...don't bite..." or grab the muzzle in an attempt for punishment. However, to the pup the grabbing of the muzzle makes it sort of like a game. They often don't get the idea that they are being punished.

So I tell my clients to try the "OUCH" game. Dogs learn by repetition so you have to do this several times for the dog to get it. When she bites you, say "OUCH" in a really loud voice and then stand up and walk away from the dog. Even if she is hanging off your pantleg you don't give her any attention at all. After a couple of minutes (or when she has been calm for a little while) go back and start petting her again. The moment she bites you, repeat the process again.

You may need to do this multiple times each day, but eventually she should learn that she loses your attention when she bites.

I hope that helps!

http://www.askavetquestion.com

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (12826 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (8584 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (3802 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4037 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (9639 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (42585 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (23670 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (3546 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (3939 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (10520 views)