Stop puppy from biting.

Breed: Maltese
How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is hurting me with her teeth.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

This is a common problem in puppies and can be frustrating!
Here is what I usually tell my clients about puppies who bite.

Puppies usually bite in order to get attention. And, unfortunately we usually give in to them! Most owners, when nipped at will either stroke the dog and say soothing things like, "that's ok...don't bite..." or grab the muzzle in an attempt for punishment. However, to the pup the grabbing of the muzzle makes it sort of like a game. They often don't get the idea that they are being punished.

So I tell my clients to try the "OUCH" game. Dogs learn by repetition so you have to do this several times for the dog to get it. When she bites you, say "OUCH" in a really loud voice and then stand up and walk away from the dog. Even if she is hanging off your pantleg you don't give her any attention at all. After a couple of minutes (or when she has been calm for a little while) go back and start petting her again. The moment she bites you, repeat the process again.

You may need to do this multiple times each day, but eventually she should learn that she loses your attention when she bites.

I hope that helps!

http://www.askavetquestion.com

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (16921 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (10108 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (9156 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (9060 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (3040 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (5936 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (6002 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (11808 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (47923 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (18978 views)