Stop puppy from biting.

Breed: Maltese
How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is hurting me with her teeth.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

This is a common problem in puppies and can be frustrating!
Here is what I usually tell my clients about puppies who bite.

Puppies usually bite in order to get attention. And, unfortunately we usually give in to them! Most owners, when nipped at will either stroke the dog and say soothing things like, "that's ok...don't bite..." or grab the muzzle in an attempt for punishment. However, to the pup the grabbing of the muzzle makes it sort of like a game. They often don't get the idea that they are being punished.

So I tell my clients to try the "OUCH" game. Dogs learn by repetition so you have to do this several times for the dog to get it. When she bites you, say "OUCH" in a really loud voice and then stand up and walk away from the dog. Even if she is hanging off your pantleg you don't give her any attention at all. After a couple of minutes (or when she has been calm for a little while) go back and start petting her again. The moment she bites you, repeat the process again.

You may need to do this multiple times each day, but eventually she should learn that she loses your attention when she bites.

I hope that helps!

http://www.askavetquestion.com

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (11010 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (18302 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (26355 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (16937 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (6079 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (6549 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (8567 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (11147 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (15757 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (12031 views)