Stop puppy from biting.

Breed: Maltese
How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is hurting me with her teeth.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

This is a common problem in puppies and can be frustrating!
Here is what I usually tell my clients about puppies who bite.

Puppies usually bite in order to get attention. And, unfortunately we usually give in to them! Most owners, when nipped at will either stroke the dog and say soothing things like, "that's ok...don't bite..." or grab the muzzle in an attempt for punishment. However, to the pup the grabbing of the muzzle makes it sort of like a game. They often don't get the idea that they are being punished.

So I tell my clients to try the "OUCH" game. Dogs learn by repetition so you have to do this several times for the dog to get it. When she bites you, say "OUCH" in a really loud voice and then stand up and walk away from the dog. Even if she is hanging off your pantleg you don't give her any attention at all. After a couple of minutes (or when she has been calm for a little while) go back and start petting her again. The moment she bites you, repeat the process again.

You may need to do this multiple times each day, but eventually she should learn that she loses your attention when she bites.

I hope that helps!

http://www.askavetquestion.com

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (14751 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (18385 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (6406 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (6600 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (22472 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (7132 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (18775 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (5205 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (16307 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (3855 views)