Stop puppy from biting.

Breed: Maltese
How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is hurting me with her teeth.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

This is a common problem in puppies and can be frustrating!
Here is what I usually tell my clients about puppies who bite.

Puppies usually bite in order to get attention. And, unfortunately we usually give in to them! Most owners, when nipped at will either stroke the dog and say soothing things like, "that's ok...don't bite..." or grab the muzzle in an attempt for punishment. However, to the pup the grabbing of the muzzle makes it sort of like a game. They often don't get the idea that they are being punished.

So I tell my clients to try the "OUCH" game. Dogs learn by repetition so you have to do this several times for the dog to get it. When she bites you, say "OUCH" in a really loud voice and then stand up and walk away from the dog. Even if she is hanging off your pantleg you don't give her any attention at all. After a couple of minutes (or when she has been calm for a little while) go back and start petting her again. The moment she bites you, repeat the process again.

You may need to do this multiple times each day, but eventually she should learn that she loses your attention when she bites.

I hope that helps!

http://www.askavetquestion.com

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (21732 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (7472 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (10271 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (9553 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (27455 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (44745 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (8474 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (17329 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (77821 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (20575 views)