Stop puppy from biting.

Breed: Maltese
How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is hurting me with her teeth.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

This is a common problem in puppies and can be frustrating!
Here is what I usually tell my clients about puppies who bite.

Puppies usually bite in order to get attention. And, unfortunately we usually give in to them! Most owners, when nipped at will either stroke the dog and say soothing things like, "that's ok...don't bite..." or grab the muzzle in an attempt for punishment. However, to the pup the grabbing of the muzzle makes it sort of like a game. They often don't get the idea that they are being punished.

So I tell my clients to try the "OUCH" game. Dogs learn by repetition so you have to do this several times for the dog to get it. When she bites you, say "OUCH" in a really loud voice and then stand up and walk away from the dog. Even if she is hanging off your pantleg you don't give her any attention at all. After a couple of minutes (or when she has been calm for a little while) go back and start petting her again. The moment she bites you, repeat the process again.

You may need to do this multiple times each day, but eventually she should learn that she loses your attention when she bites.

I hope that helps!

http://www.askavetquestion.com

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9438 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (23378 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (8644 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14168 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (13734 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (18681 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (19881 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10713 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (24756 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9081 views)