Cat losing fur.

Breed: Tabby cat
Hi
Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that he appears healthy, active with a good appetite.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in clumps.

Some cats can just develop matts on their back end that will only go away if they come out. This often happens in overweight cats that have trouble grooming themselves because of their weight.

Have you changed his food lately? Sometimes hair loss can be a result of eating a poor quality diet.

Other cats will lose hair in clumps if they are fighting some sort of illness. I see this commonly in diabetic cats, but any underlying illness can cause a change in the coat quality.

If there are scabs on his skin underneath the fur then it is possible that he has an allergy to something. If he is losing the hair mostly at the end of his back or down the middle of this back then a flea allergy is the most common reason.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical problem going on.

I hope all is well!

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (18278 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41392 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (13281 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5039 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (23992 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (15575 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (238841 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (69932 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9577 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (10070 views)