Cat losing fur.

Breed: Tabby cat
Hi
Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that he appears healthy, active with a good appetite.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in clumps.

Some cats can just develop matts on their back end that will only go away if they come out. This often happens in overweight cats that have trouble grooming themselves because of their weight.

Have you changed his food lately? Sometimes hair loss can be a result of eating a poor quality diet.

Other cats will lose hair in clumps if they are fighting some sort of illness. I see this commonly in diabetic cats, but any underlying illness can cause a change in the coat quality.

If there are scabs on his skin underneath the fur then it is possible that he has an allergy to something. If he is losing the hair mostly at the end of his back or down the middle of this back then a flea allergy is the most common reason.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical problem going on.

I hope all is well!

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8248 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (50225 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (7264 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7884 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (36219 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10661 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8928 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (9625 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7561 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (16568 views)