Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing.

Breed: Burmese
My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and sneezed randomly over the past week. He also had diahreer 2 days ago. Aside from this he is acting normal, eating as normal, and is not showing any discomfort. After he had diahreer, I thought it might have been from some meat I gave him (raw cat meat from supermarket), so I threw that meat out. I have been feeding him dry kitten food as well as raw and cooked meat.
I was not too worried but the vomiting this morning has made me a bit concerned.

Sorry to hear that Elliot is not well!

While I can't say for sure without examining him it sounds like he is fighting a virus. Many cats with viruses will have sneezing and possibly vomiting and diarrhea.

However, the new meat could also be the culprit for the vomiting and the diarrhea. If it is, it really should only be temporary. Many cats will get stomach upset for 24-48 hours after eating something new to them.

If the meat was raw, there is a small chance that there is a bacterial problem such as salmonella. This is really uncommon though. Usually animals with salmonella poisoning will be very quiet and not want to eat.

If this is a virus, you may find that the sneezing gets worse. I don't usually do too much for a respiratory virus as long a a cat is eating ok. But if you are noticing a lack of appetite or a green discharge from the eyes or nose then it is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

One other thought...has he been dewormed? Some kittens can be born with roundworms. Roundworms can cause vomiting and diarrhea and can sometimes go through a stage where they affect the lungs and cause coughing. It's a good idea to talk to your vet about deworming him.

To summarize, as long as little Elliot is bright and alert and wanting to eat then I would just keep an eye on him. If the diarrhea continues for more than 2 days or again, if he doesn't want to eat then it's time to see the vet.

Hope he is feeling better soon!

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (13556 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (9211 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (18627 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8124 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (23159 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (7448 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (11571 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6639 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (59479 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18339 views)