Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing.

Breed: Burmese
My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and sneezed randomly over the past week. He also had diahreer 2 days ago. Aside from this he is acting normal, eating as normal, and is not showing any discomfort. After he had diahreer, I thought it might have been from some meat I gave him (raw cat meat from supermarket), so I threw that meat out. I have been feeding him dry kitten food as well as raw and cooked meat.
I was not too worried but the vomiting this morning has made me a bit concerned.

Sorry to hear that Elliot is not well!

While I can't say for sure without examining him it sounds like he is fighting a virus. Many cats with viruses will have sneezing and possibly vomiting and diarrhea.

However, the new meat could also be the culprit for the vomiting and the diarrhea. If it is, it really should only be temporary. Many cats will get stomach upset for 24-48 hours after eating something new to them.

If the meat was raw, there is a small chance that there is a bacterial problem such as salmonella. This is really uncommon though. Usually animals with salmonella poisoning will be very quiet and not want to eat.

If this is a virus, you may find that the sneezing gets worse. I don't usually do too much for a respiratory virus as long a a cat is eating ok. But if you are noticing a lack of appetite or a green discharge from the eyes or nose then it is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

One other thought...has he been dewormed? Some kittens can be born with roundworms. Roundworms can cause vomiting and diarrhea and can sometimes go through a stage where they affect the lungs and cause coughing. It's a good idea to talk to your vet about deworming him.

To summarize, as long as little Elliot is bright and alert and wanting to eat then I would just keep an eye on him. If the diarrhea continues for more than 2 days or again, if he doesn't want to eat then it's time to see the vet.

Hope he is feeling better soon!

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12865 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (28786 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10209 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4462 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9370 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5059 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (57899 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8191 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14236 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9374 views)