Kitten with yellow diarrhea.

Breed: unknown
Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse a kitten back to good health. Well my sisters and I have done this before so it was no biggy, so i thought. This kitten was dropped off so we dont know much about it. When i first got it, it had a terrible sounding meow, it had yellow diarrhea, and it doesnt want to eat. I have been trying to feed it warmed evaporated milk but the bottle has to be slightly forced into the mouth and i gently squeeze the bottle so a little bit of milk comes out. It does drink this milk in its mouth but it wants nothing to do with it at all..What can i do to help it? Is there a kinda of Formula i can give it to eat?? Thank You SO much!

Oh, I am sorry that little Chevy is not doing well. There are a few things that could cause the symptoms that you are describing.

First of all, there are better options to feed a kitten than evaporated milk. The best option is to buy a milk replacer.

It is also possible that the kitten has some intestinal parasites. It would be a great idea to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine if there are parasites present. Sometimes yellow diarrhea can be a sign of coccidia which needs prescription medication in order to be treated. It certainly doesn't hurt to treat with an over the counter dewormer as well.

It is also possible that he is fighting a virus.

Kittens don't have a lot of resources to fight dehydration so if things are not improving soon he may need to see the vet for some fluid treatment.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (7198 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (11811 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (14930 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (18486 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (15809 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (9995 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (9914 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (6600 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (44765 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (13902 views)