Frequent urination in puppy.

Breed: bullmastiff
Dr. Marie,
We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have noticed that she urinates what seems like all the time. For example, she may go outside 3 or 4 times in one sitting (one long void and then a few small dribbles) then come in the house, get a small bit of water and, almost immediately, go on the carpet. Her urine is not concentrated or foul smelling at all. She does drink a good bit of water, but not an excess I wouldn't think. She is on Iams Large Breed puppy food, 3/4 cup, 3x a day...her health history is non-complicated. She had her new puppy vet check this past week and all was fine, however, he did have to reworm her for both round and tapeworms on her fecal smear. I am a Peds ICU nurse, so naturally, I am overly observant, but just want to make sure we do not have a uti or diabetes or something that we need to be really concerned about. I was hoping to chalk it up to an immature bladder. She is still getting up once during the night. Sometimes, she has gone in her crate..sometimes not...please help!
A Worried New Puppy Mommy

Hi, and thanks for your question. I love the name June for a puppy...very sweet.

What you are describing may or may not be normal. It is relatively uncommon for a puppy to have a bladder issue at this age, but I have seen it happen.

It would be a great idea to take a urine sample in to your vet and have them run a urinalysis just to be sure of what is going on. What you are describing could be a UTI. There aren't always external signs such as a foul smell. Sometimes frequent urination is the only symptom.

I have also seen some puppies that have crystalluria which is a buildup of crystals (usually struvite) in the urine. The crystals can cause bladder irritation and this can cause the frequent urination.

Another possibility is an uncommon condition called a pelvic bladder. This is where the bladder is positioned a little too far to the back of the dog and is constrained within the pelvis. If this happens then it can only hold a small amount of urine.

However, there is a good chance that she is still learning her housetraining and that everything is normal. The vast majority of the time when I see symptoms like this we do the urinalysis and find nothing. It's still a good idea to go ahead with the urine test though.

Thank you! I will do that! I have never raised a female puppy so I just wasnt' sure. We also have an 18 month old pug (his name is Cash, hence..June:)and I just didn't have these issues with him...but, he's a weirdo, so may just be a breed thing. I will take a sample in the morning...can I refrigerate it overnight or does it need to be a fresh sample?

LOL at Cash being a weirdo! I have a few "weirdos" in my practice but usually they are the coolest dogs.

Ideally the best sample to take to the vet's is the first sample in the morning. This one is the most concentrated and so any abnormalities are more likely to be apparent.

What I would recommend is to get a sample tonight and keep it in the fridge. Then, try again in the morning. If you get a morning sample take that one but otherwise the refrigerated sample will be just fine.

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (6347 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (8976 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (17996 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7148 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (18250 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (94762 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14309 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (20744 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (23051 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (9509 views)