Why do cats lick plastic?

Breed: Himalayan
I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me crazy because he licks plastic bags. I can hide them keep them put away chase him away by clapping hands and usually saying Felix! get away from there! but he literally goes HUNTING for plastic bags. He chews on them and eats them, he just won't stop and I'm absolutely petrified that he's going to get into a plastic bag when I'm at work one day and I'll come home to no more Felix. He will go into the kitchen and open the door under the sink JUST to chew and eat the plastic bag thats in the garbage. I don't understand it because its not like he's hungry because I ALWAYS make it my top priority to make sure he has fresh food and water. I've tried everything, and I don't know what else to do... I'm so scared I'm going to lose him because he's eaten plastic from a plastic bag. We can't even put up our Christmas tree this year or put our presents out because he will eat them. He won't stop. I love him to death and pieces and I don't want to lose him or see him sick. I can't stop him from hunting for plastic bags. I don't know what else to do. I'm at the end of my road. I'm just so scared... I love him so much. He's like my own child. and I want the best for him. please help...
thanks

Nobody knows for certain why cats lick plastic. It may be because some bags contain animal fats or fish oils. Or it could be that the cats smell the food that was previously in the bag. In some cases it could be a mental health issue.

There are a few things you can do. The obvious answer is to keep plastic bags away from him. Develop a system where no plastic bags go on the floor and all of them go directly into a cupboard.

You can also try doing some negative training. To do this you can set some booby traps where you place a few plastic bags around the house and spray them with something like Bitter Apple. This product tastes awful, but is safe for cats to ingest. If you do this a few times then Felix should get the idea that plastic does not taste good!

Another possibility is to talk to your vet about medication to help with this problem. Some vets believe that plastic licking is an obsessive compulsive disorder and will treat it with an anti-compulsive drug such as clomicalm or amitryptiline.

I hope that helps!

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (9973 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (13698 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (12204 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (171471 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15410 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (9859 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (8930 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (20387 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6028 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (10829 views)