Why do cats lick plastic?

Breed: Himalayan
I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me crazy because he licks plastic bags. I can hide them keep them put away chase him away by clapping hands and usually saying Felix! get away from there! but he literally goes HUNTING for plastic bags. He chews on them and eats them, he just won't stop and I'm absolutely petrified that he's going to get into a plastic bag when I'm at work one day and I'll come home to no more Felix. He will go into the kitchen and open the door under the sink JUST to chew and eat the plastic bag thats in the garbage. I don't understand it because its not like he's hungry because I ALWAYS make it my top priority to make sure he has fresh food and water. I've tried everything, and I don't know what else to do... I'm so scared I'm going to lose him because he's eaten plastic from a plastic bag. We can't even put up our Christmas tree this year or put our presents out because he will eat them. He won't stop. I love him to death and pieces and I don't want to lose him or see him sick. I can't stop him from hunting for plastic bags. I don't know what else to do. I'm at the end of my road. I'm just so scared... I love him so much. He's like my own child. and I want the best for him. please help...
thanks

Nobody knows for certain why cats lick plastic. It may be because some bags contain animal fats or fish oils. Or it could be that the cats smell the food that was previously in the bag. In some cases it could be a mental health issue.

There are a few things you can do. The obvious answer is to keep plastic bags away from him. Develop a system where no plastic bags go on the floor and all of them go directly into a cupboard.

You can also try doing some negative training. To do this you can set some booby traps where you place a few plastic bags around the house and spray them with something like Bitter Apple. This product tastes awful, but is safe for cats to ingest. If you do this a few times then Felix should get the idea that plastic does not taste good!

Another possibility is to talk to your vet about medication to help with this problem. Some vets believe that plastic licking is an obsessive compulsive disorder and will treat it with an anti-compulsive drug such as clomicalm or amitryptiline.

I hope that helps!

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (35055 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (8582 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (8881 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (15930 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (45732 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (9609 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (16182 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (28737 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (13426 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (53620 views)