Why do cats lick plastic?

Breed: Himalayan
I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me crazy because he licks plastic bags. I can hide them keep them put away chase him away by clapping hands and usually saying Felix! get away from there! but he literally goes HUNTING for plastic bags. He chews on them and eats them, he just won't stop and I'm absolutely petrified that he's going to get into a plastic bag when I'm at work one day and I'll come home to no more Felix. He will go into the kitchen and open the door under the sink JUST to chew and eat the plastic bag thats in the garbage. I don't understand it because its not like he's hungry because I ALWAYS make it my top priority to make sure he has fresh food and water. I've tried everything, and I don't know what else to do... I'm so scared I'm going to lose him because he's eaten plastic from a plastic bag. We can't even put up our Christmas tree this year or put our presents out because he will eat them. He won't stop. I love him to death and pieces and I don't want to lose him or see him sick. I can't stop him from hunting for plastic bags. I don't know what else to do. I'm at the end of my road. I'm just so scared... I love him so much. He's like my own child. and I want the best for him. please help...
thanks

Nobody knows for certain why cats lick plastic. It may be because some bags contain animal fats or fish oils. Or it could be that the cats smell the food that was previously in the bag. In some cases it could be a mental health issue.

There are a few things you can do. The obvious answer is to keep plastic bags away from him. Develop a system where no plastic bags go on the floor and all of them go directly into a cupboard.

You can also try doing some negative training. To do this you can set some booby traps where you place a few plastic bags around the house and spray them with something like Bitter Apple. This product tastes awful, but is safe for cats to ingest. If you do this a few times then Felix should get the idea that plastic does not taste good!

Another possibility is to talk to your vet about medication to help with this problem. Some vets believe that plastic licking is an obsessive compulsive disorder and will treat it with an anti-compulsive drug such as clomicalm or amitryptiline.

I hope that helps!

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (11116 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (5344 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5363 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11824 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4575 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (18261 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (32788 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13303 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (11727 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6793 views)