Why do cats lick plastic?

Breed: Himalayan
I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me crazy because he licks plastic bags. I can hide them keep them put away chase him away by clapping hands and usually saying Felix! get away from there! but he literally goes HUNTING for plastic bags. He chews on them and eats them, he just won't stop and I'm absolutely petrified that he's going to get into a plastic bag when I'm at work one day and I'll come home to no more Felix. He will go into the kitchen and open the door under the sink JUST to chew and eat the plastic bag thats in the garbage. I don't understand it because its not like he's hungry because I ALWAYS make it my top priority to make sure he has fresh food and water. I've tried everything, and I don't know what else to do... I'm so scared I'm going to lose him because he's eaten plastic from a plastic bag. We can't even put up our Christmas tree this year or put our presents out because he will eat them. He won't stop. I love him to death and pieces and I don't want to lose him or see him sick. I can't stop him from hunting for plastic bags. I don't know what else to do. I'm at the end of my road. I'm just so scared... I love him so much. He's like my own child. and I want the best for him. please help...
thanks

Nobody knows for certain why cats lick plastic. It may be because some bags contain animal fats or fish oils. Or it could be that the cats smell the food that was previously in the bag. In some cases it could be a mental health issue.

There are a few things you can do. The obvious answer is to keep plastic bags away from him. Develop a system where no plastic bags go on the floor and all of them go directly into a cupboard.

You can also try doing some negative training. To do this you can set some booby traps where you place a few plastic bags around the house and spray them with something like Bitter Apple. This product tastes awful, but is safe for cats to ingest. If you do this a few times then Felix should get the idea that plastic does not taste good!

Another possibility is to talk to your vet about medication to help with this problem. Some vets believe that plastic licking is an obsessive compulsive disorder and will treat it with an anti-compulsive drug such as clomicalm or amitryptiline.

I hope that helps!

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (12464 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (9877 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5037 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (18262 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (20795 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54492 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (10846 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8049 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6025 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12098 views)