Cat aggressive with new kitten.

Breed: Long Hair
I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever since I got the new kitten the other 4 cats have been aggressive towards each other. I don't want them to fight. I don't want to get rid of the kitten. What can I do?

You sure have a houseful of cats! Almost any time we have a large number of cats in a house there will be some kind of intercat aggression. However, there are some things that you can do to help.

First of all, if any of the cats who are older than 6 months are not spayed or neutered, then it is important to get this done. Hormones can cause cats to do awful things!

You may want to look into a product called feliway. It is available at most pet stores. It is a little pricey but often works well. Your best bet is to get the kind that is available as a wall plug-in. It diffuses a substance that is similar to a feline pheromone and has been proven to help with intercat aggression and other feline behavioural problems.

Next, you could consider asking your vet for medication for the aggressor cats. I will sometimes prescribe amitriptylline or prozac for the aggressive cats. It would be a short term fix and you could probably wean them off of the medicine after a few months.

Another thing you can try is putting a bell on the aggressive cats. Sometimes this helps. Also, you should keep the cats separated as much as possible and do supervised visits when you can. Keep a big blanket handy and it looks like the older cats are going to pounce the throw the blanket on them.

Until the cats are doing better we need to offer the kitten a safe place with her own litter box.

And finally, you may want to consider talking to your vet about a consult with a veterinary behavioural specialist. These vets are amazing at advising in cases like this. They will tell you whether medication may help and give you many ideas on what you can do.

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (110981 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7243 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (4389 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (9050 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (9876 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (14822 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (7060 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (13768 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (5703 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (9484 views)