Dog with swollen face.

Breed: hound/shepard
our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. i gave him some ibprophen what else should i do

Sorry to hear that tips is having some problems!

The most common reason for a dog to have facial swelling is because of a sting from a wasp or a bee. In most cases it is not serious. However, some dogs can have so much swelling that it can affect their ability to breath. If this is the case then an emergency vet visit is necessary.

However, in mild cases I will often recommend Benadryl at 1 mg per pound. So, a 25 lb dog would take one 25mg tablet.

I don't recommend giving Ibuprofen to dogs as this medication can be very hard on the kidneys of some dogs.

If the facial swelling is not going away there are other possible causes such as a tooth root infection or a tumor affecting the face. So, if things are not going well then a vet visit is the best idea.

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (54510 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8582 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (9196 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7820 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (8139 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9951 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (5083 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13836 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (17463 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (8303 views)