Dog with swollen face.

Breed: hound/shepard
our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. i gave him some ibprophen what else should i do

Sorry to hear that tips is having some problems!

The most common reason for a dog to have facial swelling is because of a sting from a wasp or a bee. In most cases it is not serious. However, some dogs can have so much swelling that it can affect their ability to breath. If this is the case then an emergency vet visit is necessary.

However, in mild cases I will often recommend Benadryl at 1 mg per pound. So, a 25 lb dog would take one 25mg tablet.

I don't recommend giving Ibuprofen to dogs as this medication can be very hard on the kidneys of some dogs.

If the facial swelling is not going away there are other possible causes such as a tooth root infection or a tumor affecting the face. So, if things are not going well then a vet visit is the best idea.

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (22849 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (6962 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4500 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (15834 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (24129 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10125 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16215 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16316 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6739 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (9462 views)