Dog with swollen face.

Breed: hound/shepard
our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. i gave him some ibprophen what else should i do

Sorry to hear that tips is having some problems!

The most common reason for a dog to have facial swelling is because of a sting from a wasp or a bee. In most cases it is not serious. However, some dogs can have so much swelling that it can affect their ability to breath. If this is the case then an emergency vet visit is necessary.

However, in mild cases I will often recommend Benadryl at 1 mg per pound. So, a 25 lb dog would take one 25mg tablet.

I don't recommend giving Ibuprofen to dogs as this medication can be very hard on the kidneys of some dogs.

If the facial swelling is not going away there are other possible causes such as a tooth root infection or a tumor affecting the face. So, if things are not going well then a vet visit is the best idea.

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (17106 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18933 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22989 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (13786 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (19082 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (33233 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (15827 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (12018 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (32445 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (10416 views)