Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Breed: Bichon Frise Mix
I have a question about dogs and tomatoes.

I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe like 3 or 4) cherry tomatoes. I then remembered tomatoes were bad for dogs and now I'm freaking out! Is my dog in danger? Can dogs eat tomatoes?

Hi and thanks for an interesting question!

I have no problem with feeding tomatoes to your dog. Tomatoes are not bad for dogs.

Tomatoes contain a substance called alpha-tomatine. It is found throughout the plant, but is much more concentrated in the leaves and stem. In the fruit, the level of alpha-tomatine is present in small amounts in the green unripened tomato and in tiny amounts in a ripened red tomato.

Tomatine can be toxic to the heart. However, a dog would have to eat a massive amount of tomato before the heart was affected. Additionally, the tomatine is very poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract.

It is more of a concern when cows get into tomato patches and munch away at lots of tomato plant leaves.

Some dogs can have some mild stomach upset from eating tomatoes, but that's about it.

I don't know of a case that has ever been reported of a dog suffering toxic effects from eating tomatoes.

So, the answer to "are tomatoes bad for dogs" is no.

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (7260 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (10337 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (15474 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (19108 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (7213 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11407 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (11983 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (6553 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (6341 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (20351 views)