Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Breed: Bichon Frise Mix
I have a question about dogs and tomatoes.

I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe like 3 or 4) cherry tomatoes. I then remembered tomatoes were bad for dogs and now I'm freaking out! Is my dog in danger? Can dogs eat tomatoes?

Hi and thanks for an interesting question!

I have no problem with feeding tomatoes to your dog. Tomatoes are not bad for dogs.

Tomatoes contain a substance called alpha-tomatine. It is found throughout the plant, but is much more concentrated in the leaves and stem. In the fruit, the level of alpha-tomatine is present in small amounts in the green unripened tomato and in tiny amounts in a ripened red tomato.

Tomatine can be toxic to the heart. However, a dog would have to eat a massive amount of tomato before the heart was affected. Additionally, the tomatine is very poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract.

It is more of a concern when cows get into tomato patches and munch away at lots of tomato plant leaves.

Some dogs can have some mild stomach upset from eating tomatoes, but that's about it.

I don't know of a case that has ever been reported of a dog suffering toxic effects from eating tomatoes.

So, the answer to "are tomatoes bad for dogs" is no.

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (88682 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13712 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15338 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5047 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (24368 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (19837 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18786 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9361 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13290 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (299271 views)