Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Breed: Bichon Frise Mix
I have a question about dogs and tomatoes.

I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe like 3 or 4) cherry tomatoes. I then remembered tomatoes were bad for dogs and now I'm freaking out! Is my dog in danger? Can dogs eat tomatoes?

Hi and thanks for an interesting question!

I have no problem with feeding tomatoes to your dog. Tomatoes are not bad for dogs.

Tomatoes contain a substance called alpha-tomatine. It is found throughout the plant, but is much more concentrated in the leaves and stem. In the fruit, the level of alpha-tomatine is present in small amounts in the green unripened tomato and in tiny amounts in a ripened red tomato.

Tomatine can be toxic to the heart. However, a dog would have to eat a massive amount of tomato before the heart was affected. Additionally, the tomatine is very poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract.

It is more of a concern when cows get into tomato patches and munch away at lots of tomato plant leaves.

Some dogs can have some mild stomach upset from eating tomatoes, but that's about it.

I don't know of a case that has ever been reported of a dog suffering toxic effects from eating tomatoes.

So, the answer to "are tomatoes bad for dogs" is no.

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (4938 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (4366 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (8582 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (8580 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (4923 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (9398 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (6868 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (34194 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (3106 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (18340 views)