Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Breed: Bichon Frise Mix
I have a question about dogs and tomatoes.

I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe like 3 or 4) cherry tomatoes. I then remembered tomatoes were bad for dogs and now I'm freaking out! Is my dog in danger? Can dogs eat tomatoes?

Hi and thanks for an interesting question!

I have no problem with feeding tomatoes to your dog. Tomatoes are not bad for dogs.

Tomatoes contain a substance called alpha-tomatine. It is found throughout the plant, but is much more concentrated in the leaves and stem. In the fruit, the level of alpha-tomatine is present in small amounts in the green unripened tomato and in tiny amounts in a ripened red tomato.

Tomatine can be toxic to the heart. However, a dog would have to eat a massive amount of tomato before the heart was affected. Additionally, the tomatine is very poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract.

It is more of a concern when cows get into tomato patches and munch away at lots of tomato plant leaves.

Some dogs can have some mild stomach upset from eating tomatoes, but that's about it.

I don't know of a case that has ever been reported of a dog suffering toxic effects from eating tomatoes.

So, the answer to "are tomatoes bad for dogs" is no.

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (3783 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (3226 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (9286 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (8682 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (27822 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (19928 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (4373 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (5568 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (13892 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (3981 views)