Remove baby teeth with spay?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get spayed and her baby teeth have not fallen out yet. Her Doctor is recommending that we spay her and remove her baby teeth all at once during the same procedure(next week). She is very tiny and i have read many things online about surgery on small dogs. What are your thoughts? do you recommend that we spay her only and wait until she is a year old for the teeth removal or is her vet wanting to do both at once the correct procedure? Thank you very much for your help.

I agree with your vet 100%!

I would never postpone a surgery because a dog was too small. The one exception would be if your dog was small because of a medical problem such as a liver shunt or a heart condition. The anesthetics are all dosed according to weight so size really is not an issue. The vet's assistant(s) will likely keep a close eye on her body temperature as smaller animals sometimes can have lower body temperatures under anesthetic and they'll make sure she is ok.

It is very common to do spay and remove baby teeth at the same time. In fact, I do this about 2-3 times a week at my practice. I would much rather do this all in one surgery than submit a dog to a second surgery.

It is very common for a chihuahua to have retained deciduous (baby) teeth. At 9 months of age if the teeth have not come out by now they are not likely to come out on their own.

Rest assured, what your vet is suggesting is very normal.

Hope all goes well!

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10556 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9408 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (6551 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (23106 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (8361 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (10721 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (15500 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (24673 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (34237 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7593 views)