Remove baby teeth with spay?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get spayed and her baby teeth have not fallen out yet. Her Doctor is recommending that we spay her and remove her baby teeth all at once during the same procedure(next week). She is very tiny and i have read many things online about surgery on small dogs. What are your thoughts? do you recommend that we spay her only and wait until she is a year old for the teeth removal or is her vet wanting to do both at once the correct procedure? Thank you very much for your help.

I agree with your vet 100%!

I would never postpone a surgery because a dog was too small. The one exception would be if your dog was small because of a medical problem such as a liver shunt or a heart condition. The anesthetics are all dosed according to weight so size really is not an issue. The vet's assistant(s) will likely keep a close eye on her body temperature as smaller animals sometimes can have lower body temperatures under anesthetic and they'll make sure she is ok.

It is very common to do spay and remove baby teeth at the same time. In fact, I do this about 2-3 times a week at my practice. I would much rather do this all in one surgery than submit a dog to a second surgery.

It is very common for a chihuahua to have retained deciduous (baby) teeth. At 9 months of age if the teeth have not come out by now they are not likely to come out on their own.

Rest assured, what your vet is suggesting is very normal.

Hope all goes well!

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (18536 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5596 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (20420 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15701 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23351 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (18115 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (11486 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4790 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10870 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (35423 views)