Remove baby teeth with spay?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get spayed and her baby teeth have not fallen out yet. Her Doctor is recommending that we spay her and remove her baby teeth all at once during the same procedure(next week). She is very tiny and i have read many things online about surgery on small dogs. What are your thoughts? do you recommend that we spay her only and wait until she is a year old for the teeth removal or is her vet wanting to do both at once the correct procedure? Thank you very much for your help.

I agree with your vet 100%!

I would never postpone a surgery because a dog was too small. The one exception would be if your dog was small because of a medical problem such as a liver shunt or a heart condition. The anesthetics are all dosed according to weight so size really is not an issue. The vet's assistant(s) will likely keep a close eye on her body temperature as smaller animals sometimes can have lower body temperatures under anesthetic and they'll make sure she is ok.

It is very common to do spay and remove baby teeth at the same time. In fact, I do this about 2-3 times a week at my practice. I would much rather do this all in one surgery than submit a dog to a second surgery.

It is very common for a chihuahua to have retained deciduous (baby) teeth. At 9 months of age if the teeth have not come out by now they are not likely to come out on their own.

Rest assured, what your vet is suggesting is very normal.

Hope all goes well!

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (14765 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (6293 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (54505 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (11789 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (16166 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (36021 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (13774 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (19100 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (12021 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (27202 views)