Remove baby teeth with spay?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get spayed and her baby teeth have not fallen out yet. Her Doctor is recommending that we spay her and remove her baby teeth all at once during the same procedure(next week). She is very tiny and i have read many things online about surgery on small dogs. What are your thoughts? do you recommend that we spay her only and wait until she is a year old for the teeth removal or is her vet wanting to do both at once the correct procedure? Thank you very much for your help.

I agree with your vet 100%!

I would never postpone a surgery because a dog was too small. The one exception would be if your dog was small because of a medical problem such as a liver shunt or a heart condition. The anesthetics are all dosed according to weight so size really is not an issue. The vet's assistant(s) will likely keep a close eye on her body temperature as smaller animals sometimes can have lower body temperatures under anesthetic and they'll make sure she is ok.

It is very common to do spay and remove baby teeth at the same time. In fact, I do this about 2-3 times a week at my practice. I would much rather do this all in one surgery than submit a dog to a second surgery.

It is very common for a chihuahua to have retained deciduous (baby) teeth. At 9 months of age if the teeth have not come out by now they are not likely to come out on their own.

Rest assured, what your vet is suggesting is very normal.

Hope all goes well!

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (16916 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (20777 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (13578 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (8744 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (6093 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (40512 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (17809 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (17583 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (25227 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (10741 views)