Rash on belly.

Breed: Pit Bull/Great Dane
My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise" on his abdomen. It's centered where his navel is. I first noticed it 3 weeks ago. It's been steadily growing larger, but it's been growing faster over the last few days. It's red, not purple or blue. I actually took a picture and loaded it on Photobucket at the link here:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/mswanso502/15mosbelly.jpg
Just a little more info:
-He's about 70 lbs
-He's neutered (at 5 mos old)
-We were told his back left knee joints were loose when he was 10 weeks old-he had a steady limp.
-About 3 months ago, he started limping on his right front leg. The doctor did xrays and couldn't find anything, so he's been taking Ultram as needed; maybe 3 times/week or so.
-Every once in a while, I hear him cry out in pain. I'm not sure what's hurting him though. He's always laying down when he does it, so I don't think it's his legs.
-The bruise on his stomach doesn't seem to bother him. He still runs and plays with our other 15 month old male dog. If I press on it, it does seem a little uncomfortable. He did growl at me one time when I touched it. That's very out of character for him.
Any ideas what this could be?

rash on belly

Thanks for a great picture. It's always hard to tell exactly what is going on by looking at a picture, but I'm guessing that this is a bacterial infection. These types of infections are really common.

They usually need to be treated with antibiotic pills that you would get from your vet. I have seen some mild skin infections clear up by using polysporin or neosporin a few times a day, but usually they need the oral tablets.

It doesn't sound like this is related to his leg problem.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet examine him and see if they can determine what is going on.

Thank you for your response. I have also been talking to some people on a forum. They also mentioned skin infection. I will say that the rash is not raised at all. It all appears to be coming from underneath the skin. Today it's a little smaller and turning purplish right above it. Here's a picture from a few minutes ago:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/mswanso502/15mosbelly3-1.jpg
I started giving him Doxyclycline (that I already had) tonight. I wanted to do something until I could get him to see the vet. Someone else mentioned a Lyme disease rash. I'm worried that it could be the problem since he's also been limping for unknown reasons. I have found several ticks on my other dog recently. I removed them, including the head and cleaned the area. I hope that's the right way to do it. I live in NW Louisiana. I'm pretty sure we're in a high deer tick area. Does it look like this could be Lyme Disease in your opinion? I always thought it to be a more round rash?

It does look like the area is getting smaller.

We don't usually see target lesions in dogs like you can in people with lyme disease. We can see a slight amount of redness around a recent tick bite, but nothing like what is in the picture. This doesn't look like lyme disease to me.

It's not a good idea to give antibiotics that weren't prescribed for this condition. Doxycycline is not a first choice for skin problems. Plus, if you have antibiotic left over then that means you don't have enough to do a full course of antibiotics.

If it keeps getting smaller then this is good. But, if it's not going away or starts to get bothersome then a vet visit is the best idea.

Thank you very much. I'm going to call and make an appt when they open in the morning. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'll get him some new medicine. I didn't give him any today, just in case.

Sounds good! Feel free to post back after your vet visit if you have more questions or an update.

Ok, thank you very much!

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (47522 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9683 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19142 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8664 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (10794 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (22716 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (10051 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6655 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (20371 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4354 views)