Tea Tree Oil Toxicity.

Breed: chow / shiba inu
Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. The oil sat on the skin for aprox 1 hr. The dog was unable to stand or walk and was immediately given a bath. She is now able to stand and walk but is uncoordinated and still showing signs of mobility issues. she is 14yrs old and does have some joint issues for which she is on supplements. My question is, is there anything else besides the bath that needs to be done or any other signs to look for that would indicate effects of toxicity from the tea tree oil

While some dogs can handle Tea Tree oil, there are some dogs that can indeed suffer toxic effects. This is much more common in really small dogs, or if the tea tree oil was used in conjunction with other products. However, as you have found out, it can definitely happen.

The general recommendation is actually not to put water (i.e. bath the dog) on the area where you applied the oil because it can drive the essential oils in deeper. Ideally, it's best to put olive oil on the area and let it sit there for 30 minutes and then use a gentle soap like Dawn dish soap on the area. If you feel there is still any of the oil present, then it may be worthwhile to do that.

If this is simply toxicity from the oil then the symptoms can last for a few hours to even a couple of days. If you are noticing tremors or if things are getting worse, then you may need to see the vet. They may treat her with a medication to help with muscle spasms and possibly seizures.

My other concern would be that there is a possibility that this is not even related to the tea tree oil. If the dog is having trouble using her back legs then there is a possibility that there is a serious spinal injury. If you are at all concerned that this could be it then she will need to see the vet right away.

But, most likely this is from tea tree oil and she should recover.

Just in case others are reading this, there is no evidence whatsoever that tee tree oil will have any effect against fleas. There really is no natural product that will work. Here is an article I wrote about fleas that tells you how I would treat them. I wouldn't put any topical meds on your dog for a few days though.

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (10130 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (21758 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (9387 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (5716 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (53305 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (26441 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (13599 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (4552 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (10510 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6022 views)