Tea Tree Oil Toxicity.

Breed: chow / shiba inu
Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. The oil sat on the skin for aprox 1 hr. The dog was unable to stand or walk and was immediately given a bath. She is now able to stand and walk but is uncoordinated and still showing signs of mobility issues. she is 14yrs old and does have some joint issues for which she is on supplements. My question is, is there anything else besides the bath that needs to be done or any other signs to look for that would indicate effects of toxicity from the tea tree oil

While some dogs can handle Tea Tree oil, there are some dogs that can indeed suffer toxic effects. This is much more common in really small dogs, or if the tea tree oil was used in conjunction with other products. However, as you have found out, it can definitely happen.

The general recommendation is actually not to put water (i.e. bath the dog) on the area where you applied the oil because it can drive the essential oils in deeper. Ideally, it's best to put olive oil on the area and let it sit there for 30 minutes and then use a gentle soap like Dawn dish soap on the area. If you feel there is still any of the oil present, then it may be worthwhile to do that.

If this is simply toxicity from the oil then the symptoms can last for a few hours to even a couple of days. If you are noticing tremors or if things are getting worse, then you may need to see the vet. They may treat her with a medication to help with muscle spasms and possibly seizures.

My other concern would be that there is a possibility that this is not even related to the tea tree oil. If the dog is having trouble using her back legs then there is a possibility that there is a serious spinal injury. If you are at all concerned that this could be it then she will need to see the vet right away.

But, most likely this is from tea tree oil and she should recover.

Just in case others are reading this, there is no evidence whatsoever that tee tree oil will have any effect against fleas. There really is no natural product that will work. Here is an article I wrote about fleas that tells you how I would treat them. I wouldn't put any topical meds on your dog for a few days though.

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (17657 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (27892 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (11307 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (9650 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (11679 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5464 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (9456 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (16152 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (12552 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (52448 views)