Tea Tree Oil Toxicity.

Breed: chow / shiba inu
Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. The oil sat on the skin for aprox 1 hr. The dog was unable to stand or walk and was immediately given a bath. She is now able to stand and walk but is uncoordinated and still showing signs of mobility issues. she is 14yrs old and does have some joint issues for which she is on supplements. My question is, is there anything else besides the bath that needs to be done or any other signs to look for that would indicate effects of toxicity from the tea tree oil

While some dogs can handle Tea Tree oil, there are some dogs that can indeed suffer toxic effects. This is much more common in really small dogs, or if the tea tree oil was used in conjunction with other products. However, as you have found out, it can definitely happen.

The general recommendation is actually not to put water (i.e. bath the dog) on the area where you applied the oil because it can drive the essential oils in deeper. Ideally, it's best to put olive oil on the area and let it sit there for 30 minutes and then use a gentle soap like Dawn dish soap on the area. If you feel there is still any of the oil present, then it may be worthwhile to do that.

If this is simply toxicity from the oil then the symptoms can last for a few hours to even a couple of days. If you are noticing tremors or if things are getting worse, then you may need to see the vet. They may treat her with a medication to help with muscle spasms and possibly seizures.

My other concern would be that there is a possibility that this is not even related to the tea tree oil. If the dog is having trouble using her back legs then there is a possibility that there is a serious spinal injury. If you are at all concerned that this could be it then she will need to see the vet right away.

But, most likely this is from tea tree oil and she should recover.

Just in case others are reading this, there is no evidence whatsoever that tee tree oil will have any effect against fleas. There really is no natural product that will work. Here is an article I wrote about fleas that tells you how I would treat them. I wouldn't put any topical meds on your dog for a few days though.

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (24723 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54242 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (6619 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (10930 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (9059 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (36317 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (24235 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13805 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7638 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (8526 views)