Tea Tree Oil Toxicity.

Breed: chow / shiba inu
Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. The oil sat on the skin for aprox 1 hr. The dog was unable to stand or walk and was immediately given a bath. She is now able to stand and walk but is uncoordinated and still showing signs of mobility issues. she is 14yrs old and does have some joint issues for which she is on supplements. My question is, is there anything else besides the bath that needs to be done or any other signs to look for that would indicate effects of toxicity from the tea tree oil

While some dogs can handle Tea Tree oil, there are some dogs that can indeed suffer toxic effects. This is much more common in really small dogs, or if the tea tree oil was used in conjunction with other products. However, as you have found out, it can definitely happen.

The general recommendation is actually not to put water (i.e. bath the dog) on the area where you applied the oil because it can drive the essential oils in deeper. Ideally, it's best to put olive oil on the area and let it sit there for 30 minutes and then use a gentle soap like Dawn dish soap on the area. If you feel there is still any of the oil present, then it may be worthwhile to do that.

If this is simply toxicity from the oil then the symptoms can last for a few hours to even a couple of days. If you are noticing tremors or if things are getting worse, then you may need to see the vet. They may treat her with a medication to help with muscle spasms and possibly seizures.

My other concern would be that there is a possibility that this is not even related to the tea tree oil. If the dog is having trouble using her back legs then there is a possibility that there is a serious spinal injury. If you are at all concerned that this could be it then she will need to see the vet right away.

But, most likely this is from tea tree oil and she should recover.

Just in case others are reading this, there is no evidence whatsoever that tee tree oil will have any effect against fleas. There really is no natural product that will work. Here is an article I wrote about fleas that tells you how I would treat them. I wouldn't put any topical meds on your dog for a few days though.

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (8284 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (24253 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (18113 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (63063 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (7566 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (26207 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6725 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (7748 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (5437 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (19039 views)