High stepping and chattering.

Breed: Border collie Great
My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal while walking and seems to walk gingerly and suddenly often slips on our hard wood floors and seems a bit shaky on his paws. At the same time this started, he also started eating less and clicks his teeth together every time he licks himself. At times he paws his muzzle like he is trying to get something off his mouth. He has constantly had this behavior for 5 days. We thought perhaps his nails were too long and got them clipped. It didn't fix anything. We rescued him from the shelter in September so we are in the dark regarding his medical history. He has not now nor ever shown any aggression. Thanks for your help.

Hi and thank you for your question. The symptoms that you are describing are unusual. The high-stepping that you are mentioning could be something called hypermetria. This is usually caused by some sort of problem in either the brain stem or the part of the brain called the cerebellum.

It's hard to connect that activity with the clicking of his teeth. It definitely sounds like there is a serious neurological issue here. One possibility is distemper virus. However, if Socks is vaccinated then this is not likely. There are other unusual neurological problems such as fungal infections or even parasites that can do this.

It could also be that what you are seeing is some type of a seizure.

It definitely sounds like he needs to have a vet visit. If you are able to videotape the episodes so that your vet can see them then this would probably help. The vet will likely want to do some bloodwork and maybe even some spinal xrays. But, there is a chance that no cause can be found without doing even further testing.

This isn't something I would wait on for any longer as it has the potential to be serious.

I hope things work out ok.

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (17614 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (16947 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (10948 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (11362 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (5561 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (45931 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (4951 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11609 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7601 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5220 views)