High stepping and chattering.

Breed: Border collie Great
My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal while walking and seems to walk gingerly and suddenly often slips on our hard wood floors and seems a bit shaky on his paws. At the same time this started, he also started eating less and clicks his teeth together every time he licks himself. At times he paws his muzzle like he is trying to get something off his mouth. He has constantly had this behavior for 5 days. We thought perhaps his nails were too long and got them clipped. It didn't fix anything. We rescued him from the shelter in September so we are in the dark regarding his medical history. He has not now nor ever shown any aggression. Thanks for your help.

Hi and thank you for your question. The symptoms that you are describing are unusual. The high-stepping that you are mentioning could be something called hypermetria. This is usually caused by some sort of problem in either the brain stem or the part of the brain called the cerebellum.

It's hard to connect that activity with the clicking of his teeth. It definitely sounds like there is a serious neurological issue here. One possibility is distemper virus. However, if Socks is vaccinated then this is not likely. There are other unusual neurological problems such as fungal infections or even parasites that can do this.

It could also be that what you are seeing is some type of a seizure.

It definitely sounds like he needs to have a vet visit. If you are able to videotape the episodes so that your vet can see them then this would probably help. The vet will likely want to do some bloodwork and maybe even some spinal xrays. But, there is a chance that no cause can be found without doing even further testing.

This isn't something I would wait on for any longer as it has the potential to be serious.

I hope things work out ok.

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (9103 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (9553 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (12633 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8998 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (9789 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (22260 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8839 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10920 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (27063 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (21015 views)