High stepping and chattering.

Breed: Border collie Great
My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal while walking and seems to walk gingerly and suddenly often slips on our hard wood floors and seems a bit shaky on his paws. At the same time this started, he also started eating less and clicks his teeth together every time he licks himself. At times he paws his muzzle like he is trying to get something off his mouth. He has constantly had this behavior for 5 days. We thought perhaps his nails were too long and got them clipped. It didn't fix anything. We rescued him from the shelter in September so we are in the dark regarding his medical history. He has not now nor ever shown any aggression. Thanks for your help.

Hi and thank you for your question. The symptoms that you are describing are unusual. The high-stepping that you are mentioning could be something called hypermetria. This is usually caused by some sort of problem in either the brain stem or the part of the brain called the cerebellum.

It's hard to connect that activity with the clicking of his teeth. It definitely sounds like there is a serious neurological issue here. One possibility is distemper virus. However, if Socks is vaccinated then this is not likely. There are other unusual neurological problems such as fungal infections or even parasites that can do this.

It could also be that what you are seeing is some type of a seizure.

It definitely sounds like he needs to have a vet visit. If you are able to videotape the episodes so that your vet can see them then this would probably help. The vet will likely want to do some bloodwork and maybe even some spinal xrays. But, there is a chance that no cause can be found without doing even further testing.

This isn't something I would wait on for any longer as it has the potential to be serious.

I hope things work out ok.

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (23018 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (20199 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (19592 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (12688 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (21309 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (11041 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8320 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (28945 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7370 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5495 views)