High stepping and chattering.

Breed: Border collie Great
My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal while walking and seems to walk gingerly and suddenly often slips on our hard wood floors and seems a bit shaky on his paws. At the same time this started, he also started eating less and clicks his teeth together every time he licks himself. At times he paws his muzzle like he is trying to get something off his mouth. He has constantly had this behavior for 5 days. We thought perhaps his nails were too long and got them clipped. It didn't fix anything. We rescued him from the shelter in September so we are in the dark regarding his medical history. He has not now nor ever shown any aggression. Thanks for your help.

Hi and thank you for your question. The symptoms that you are describing are unusual. The high-stepping that you are mentioning could be something called hypermetria. This is usually caused by some sort of problem in either the brain stem or the part of the brain called the cerebellum.

It's hard to connect that activity with the clicking of his teeth. It definitely sounds like there is a serious neurological issue here. One possibility is distemper virus. However, if Socks is vaccinated then this is not likely. There are other unusual neurological problems such as fungal infections or even parasites that can do this.

It could also be that what you are seeing is some type of a seizure.

It definitely sounds like he needs to have a vet visit. If you are able to videotape the episodes so that your vet can see them then this would probably help. The vet will likely want to do some bloodwork and maybe even some spinal xrays. But, there is a chance that no cause can be found without doing even further testing.

This isn't something I would wait on for any longer as it has the potential to be serious.

I hope things work out ok.

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (12886 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7958 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (79332 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (28690 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12510 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (57699 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (13699 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (38518 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (9900 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (15601 views)