Did neutering affect dog's bladder?

Breed: lab mix
My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to his surgery for a urinary infection and then after he continued the antibiotics for another week. 2 weeks after finishing the antibiotics he seemed to have a stomach bug and the veterinarian put him back on another dose of antibiotics and gave him a shot of anti inflammatory medication. He has lost some control over his bladder since going on the antibiotics again the last two days and I am wondering if this is a side effect of the antibiotics or a result of damage from the neutering?

I am so sorry I did not reply to you last night. I forgot to turn off my online status when I went to bed! I have completely refunded your money for your question but you are still free to converse back and forth as if it was a paid question.

Regarding Lucky, it is very unlikely that there was damage done during the neutering. The incision is made just in front of the scrotum and really goes nowhere near the bladder. I have once seen a vet that accidentally cut into the urethra during a neuter surgery, but this is extremely uncommon. Given that Lucky had bladder problems before his surgery there is likely something else going on that is causing these issues.

It is relatively uncommon for a young dog like this to have repeated bladder problems. You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a bladder defect such as an ectopic ureter. (For more information on this condition, you can read this answer here: ectopic ureter in dogs.

In that question it was a female, but the same thing can happen in males. It may be that one of the ureters partially empties into the urethra rather than the bladder. When this happens dogs can leak urine and can be prone to repeated infections.

It's also possible that he has bladder stones. Bladder stones are not common in young dogs but can happen.

Or, it's possible that his bladder infection was caused by a resistant strain of bacteria that needs a special type or combo of antibiotics to get rid of.

Unfortunately he's probably going to need some more tests. If this was my case I would be recommending a few things. First, I would want to do another urinalysis to see if there is evidence of infection or crystals (which could mean a bladder stone). I would likely want to take an xray to look for bladder stones. I would also be sending urine to the lab to culture to determine if there is an unusual type of infection. Another test I would consider is something where we inject a dye intravenously and then take an xray of the kidneys and bladder. This is to determine if there is an ectopic ureter.

It sounds like a lot of work, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like this is a simple problem that he has.

I hope that helps and again, I'm so sorry that I wasn't online for you last night.

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (25366 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (16051 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (13402 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (293112 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (74447 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9251 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (19963 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (19556 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (7769 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (17346 views)