Did neutering affect dog's bladder?

Breed: lab mix
My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to his surgery for a urinary infection and then after he continued the antibiotics for another week. 2 weeks after finishing the antibiotics he seemed to have a stomach bug and the veterinarian put him back on another dose of antibiotics and gave him a shot of anti inflammatory medication. He has lost some control over his bladder since going on the antibiotics again the last two days and I am wondering if this is a side effect of the antibiotics or a result of damage from the neutering?

I am so sorry I did not reply to you last night. I forgot to turn off my online status when I went to bed! I have completely refunded your money for your question but you are still free to converse back and forth as if it was a paid question.

Regarding Lucky, it is very unlikely that there was damage done during the neutering. The incision is made just in front of the scrotum and really goes nowhere near the bladder. I have once seen a vet that accidentally cut into the urethra during a neuter surgery, but this is extremely uncommon. Given that Lucky had bladder problems before his surgery there is likely something else going on that is causing these issues.

It is relatively uncommon for a young dog like this to have repeated bladder problems. You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a bladder defect such as an ectopic ureter. (For more information on this condition, you can read this answer here: ectopic ureter in dogs.

In that question it was a female, but the same thing can happen in males. It may be that one of the ureters partially empties into the urethra rather than the bladder. When this happens dogs can leak urine and can be prone to repeated infections.

It's also possible that he has bladder stones. Bladder stones are not common in young dogs but can happen.

Or, it's possible that his bladder infection was caused by a resistant strain of bacteria that needs a special type or combo of antibiotics to get rid of.

Unfortunately he's probably going to need some more tests. If this was my case I would be recommending a few things. First, I would want to do another urinalysis to see if there is evidence of infection or crystals (which could mean a bladder stone). I would likely want to take an xray to look for bladder stones. I would also be sending urine to the lab to culture to determine if there is an unusual type of infection. Another test I would consider is something where we inject a dye intravenously and then take an xray of the kidneys and bladder. This is to determine if there is an ectopic ureter.

It sounds like a lot of work, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like this is a simple problem that he has.

I hope that helps and again, I'm so sorry that I wasn't online for you last night.

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (14040 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (6269 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (88338 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (14208 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (8161 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (8542 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (13058 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (11083 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (7059 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (11889 views)