Did neutering affect dog's bladder?

Breed: lab mix
My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to his surgery for a urinary infection and then after he continued the antibiotics for another week. 2 weeks after finishing the antibiotics he seemed to have a stomach bug and the veterinarian put him back on another dose of antibiotics and gave him a shot of anti inflammatory medication. He has lost some control over his bladder since going on the antibiotics again the last two days and I am wondering if this is a side effect of the antibiotics or a result of damage from the neutering?

I am so sorry I did not reply to you last night. I forgot to turn off my online status when I went to bed! I have completely refunded your money for your question but you are still free to converse back and forth as if it was a paid question.

Regarding Lucky, it is very unlikely that there was damage done during the neutering. The incision is made just in front of the scrotum and really goes nowhere near the bladder. I have once seen a vet that accidentally cut into the urethra during a neuter surgery, but this is extremely uncommon. Given that Lucky had bladder problems before his surgery there is likely something else going on that is causing these issues.

It is relatively uncommon for a young dog like this to have repeated bladder problems. You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a bladder defect such as an ectopic ureter. (For more information on this condition, you can read this answer here: ectopic ureter in dogs.

In that question it was a female, but the same thing can happen in males. It may be that one of the ureters partially empties into the urethra rather than the bladder. When this happens dogs can leak urine and can be prone to repeated infections.

It's also possible that he has bladder stones. Bladder stones are not common in young dogs but can happen.

Or, it's possible that his bladder infection was caused by a resistant strain of bacteria that needs a special type or combo of antibiotics to get rid of.

Unfortunately he's probably going to need some more tests. If this was my case I would be recommending a few things. First, I would want to do another urinalysis to see if there is evidence of infection or crystals (which could mean a bladder stone). I would likely want to take an xray to look for bladder stones. I would also be sending urine to the lab to culture to determine if there is an unusual type of infection. Another test I would consider is something where we inject a dye intravenously and then take an xray of the kidneys and bladder. This is to determine if there is an ectopic ureter.

It sounds like a lot of work, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like this is a simple problem that he has.

I hope that helps and again, I'm so sorry that I wasn't online for you last night.

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (12200 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7315 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (6009 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (7012 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (19576 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (11090 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (116803 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (38336 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (48904 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (11027 views)