Dog suddenly needy.

Breed: Chiwawa mix(possibly
Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed with Addison's disease at 3-he almost died. He is very well controlled on DOCP which I give him every 25 days IM. ( I'm a paramedic ). He has a good personality, very mellow, likes most people. I walk him about 2-3x a day every day. He eats well and isn't overweight. He plays with most other dogs and has NEVER bitten a dog or a person . He even plays with cats! My problem is he has never been needy for me. When I'm around, we are in the same room"Seperate but equal". He sleeps with me but at the foot of the bed. When I leave he's fine- never upset. When I'm at work he stays with a friend who he loves. All of a sudden he's VERY NEEDY.like really needy. If I'm sitting he's in my lap. Right now I'm sitting on the bed and he's crawling up my chest. I can hardly type this. He also moans and kinda growls but it's not fear or anger, it's kinda a "pet me, I'm here-" like a needy child. He had been to the vet very recently and perfect bill of health- blood work etc; always very concerned about Addison's.other than the needy, he is totally normal, the behavior as I told you.
What is going on???? I've read they can sense if you are sick- which I'm not. I love him dearly, but it's driving me nuts!! Please help!!!
🐶raxgel

I can't say that this is something that I've seen commonly. It does seem a little bit odd that your dog was relatively aloof and now he is obsessed with being with you.

I'm afraid I don't really have an answer for you though. My first suggestion was going to be to have him have a thorough physical exam to make sure he is not trying to tell you that he has a health issue, but it sounds like that's not the issue.

This is probably totally not the cause, but I know when I was pregnant all of my animals did this to me. Any chance that's possible?

It's also possible that when he stayed with your friend somehow your friend conditioned this behavior in him. But, if this is the case I'm not sure how you would "uncondition" it.

The moaning sort of has me concerned though. Chihuahua dogs are really prone to a couple of things that can cause them some pain such as back problems or anal gland issues. I've seen some dogs get more needy when they're dealing with this type of issue. If your vet doesn't feel like he has any obvious issue then perhaps they would be willing to do a trial of pain meds. If he is better on the pain medication then I would go into deeper investigations for pain issues.

If it get much worse then you can talk to your vet about prescribing anti-anxiety medication which may help.

Sorry I don't have an exact answer for you!

Hi Dr-
Thank you for your response! Funny thing- I WAS pregnant about two months ago and I miscarried about 4 weeks into it. There is no chance I am now. Austin did have an anal gland issue about a month ago as well, and the dr was right on that too. It was taken care of and he was very recently given a clean bill of health.
The only other thing I can think of is I am treated for bipolar type 2 disorder( manic depression). I am VERY well controlled on my meds, hardly any issues at all, maybe he's picking up on something I'm putting out?
I really appreciate your help- I guess it's back to the vet! They know me by name there- lol.

Best-
Rachel

Interesting. I think it is certainly possible that your dog is picking up on something that you are not even aware of. But, at this point it would be tough to say what that is!

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (15746 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (11494 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19352 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (6320 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7967 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (18307 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (17116 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (12086 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (7165 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6520 views)