Costco Kirkland flea product

Breed: Amer. Bulldog
Hello
We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years and we love it.
We discovered today at Costco, a new flea formula (their "Kirkland" brand") containing Etofenprox, which is a *different* active ingredient than Frontline, but at a fraction of the cost.
Frontline is very pricey!

Anyway - how effective is it compared to Frontline?
Does it last just as long? Is it waterproof?.
Does it *really* work as well as Frontline?

We just want to have an accurate understanding of the differences between these flea control products, from a licensed professional, before we decide.

Please email me at karn77@comcast.net

By the way, we don't own any cats.

KKL
WA State

I have never heard of the ingredient Etofenprox so I looked it up for you. It turns out that this is actually an ingredient that has been around for many years. It is a synthetic pyrethroid. According to the experts it is "marginally effective" against fleas.

The best products for fleas are definitely the ones sold by your veterinarian. I have found that almost all of the over the counter products will only kill a small portion of fleas. I can't tell you how many clients I see who have spent hundreds of dollars trying every OTC flea product they can find and then finally coming to me for something that works!

You can read more information on this type of thing here.

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14862 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (8546 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4872 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9263 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (101049 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (12227 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (5927 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6047 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (49668 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (8865 views)