Renal failure.

Breed: Rough Collie
Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure...
My sister's dog, Marley, was diagnosed with renal failure at end-November 2010 (the vet thinks it is most likely genetic because of his age). He was very sick at the time of diagnosis and was given IV fluids and then put on a diet of Hills K/D. The vet was pleased with his follow up blood results on January 7th (I'm sorry I don't have full results with details of BUN and Creatinine levels but the vet said they had risen only slightly over the past 6 weeks since the previous test and that the diet appeared to be working for him). Marley seemed to be doing fine until the past 10 days when he lost his appetite a little (still eating, but not finishing his meals). He was still interested in going for walks etc. but my sister decided to have blood tests again just to be safe, and yesterday another blood test revealed BUN and Creatinine levels had doubled over the past 4 weeks since the January results, and the vet has said he now has only up to 1 month left to live.
The vet has advised that he be taken off his Hills K/D diet and that this is replaced with chicken/tuna if he will eat it (which he is doing). I rang the vet this morning on behalf of my sister to ask if carbs should also be included in his diet, and didn't quite understand the response. Initially I was told that that his diet should be protein as a mixture of protein/carbs would be tougher for him to digest. I got the impression that they didn't think that carbs were important. However, when I responded that we were just checking to make sure we were doing the right thing and we would continue with the protein diet and not mix in carbs if it was too much for him to handle, they replied that we should give him a small amount of carbs (something bland like rice or potato) to help him maintain his weight and could probably continue on a diet of protein only for 2 days and then a mixture of protein & carbs on the third day.
This seems to go against everything I've read about diet for dogs in renal failure where the advice seems to be a diet low in protein and phosperous, but I'm not an expert and since Marley seems to have so little time left, perhaps the vet is more concerned that he continues to eat and therefore the poultry/fish is a tastier option for him.
What advice would you give re. care and diet of a dog in final stage renal failure?
Thanks
Sharon

Thank you for taking the time to ask about your sister's dog. I'm so sorry that Marley is not doing well.

I think I understand where the confusion is here. You are right that dogs with renal disease should be fed a low protein diet. Protein is processed via the kidneys. A high level of protein makes the kidneys work harder. So, we try to feed dogs a reduced protein diet when they have kidney disease.

However, when a sick dog stops eating then sometimes we need to do whatever we can to encourage him to eat. So, I think what your sister's vet is saying is that at this point, let's do what we can to get him to eat.

If, after a couple of days of eating the chicken and tuna (i.e. the yummy stuff) his appetite is starting to come back then we can add some carbs. I don't know that anyone knows the exact right balance to feed.

What your vet may be concerned about is that if we offer Marley too much of a variety of food we can cause some stomach or intestinal upset. So, a small amount of rice or potato is likely going to be tolerated more easily.

To answer your last question - what advice would I give for care and diet of a dog in the final stage of renal failure, here's what I would say. If the dog is not eating anything at all, then I would give him whatever he wants to eat. I would also prescribe some famotidine (pepcid) to help cut down stomach acid. I would recommend bland chicken and rice mostly.

Now, I don't know all of Marley's case, so things may be different for him. It is unusual for a young dog to have renal failure. Sometimes giving a dog another period of 24-48 hours on IV fluids can do wonders for the kidneys. You may want to ask your vet if this would help.

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8221 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7080 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8449 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (25359 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (93522 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (16781 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11770 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8577 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (12578 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (20795 views)