Watery diarrhea.

Breed: not sure
My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began monitoring her weight loss, and she also began injecting her with fluids and B12 once a week. The weight loss continued. I found an article about coccidia online and asked that she be treated for this. The cat has now gained back a little weight and has some appetite, but still has diarrhea and vomiting. The diarrhea had been very watery and yellow, but now is a little more solid and has taken on the green color of the treats she is eating (about all she wants to eat these days, but slowly gaining interest in other foods again). Can you give me any suggestions as to what else I could check for? Is giardia a possibility?

I'm sorry to hear that Weasie is having these problems. Chronic diarrhea in cats can be a VERY frustrating thing to deal with.

It's interesting that she responded to coccidia treatment. It is uncommon for a cat of this age to pick up coccidia. I'm wondering if the treatment was an antibiotic like S-125. It's possible that she has something called SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and that the antibiotic helped temporarily.

SIBO is sometimes a component of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). IBD is really common in cats, especially as they get older. It sounds like your vet was thinking of IBD if they were treating with B12.

I have found that most of my patients with IBD will need steroids of some sort, either by pill form or sometimes in injection every 4-6 weeks. (I prefer to use pills though.) You could ask your vet if this is an option. Cats handle steroids really well. For most of my patients I am able to get them down to a miniscule dose every other day.

Giardia is unlikely unless for some reason it is rampant in your area. I often will put diarrhea patients on a course of metronidazole which is a medication that treats giardia but also helps with intestinal inflammation as well.

The other thing that I worry about when an older cat has diarrhea is intestinal lymphoma which is a cancer of the intestines. Unfortunately the only way to tell the difference between lymphoma and IBD is to have biopsies done which is expensive and invasive.

I hope this helps. I would definitely suggest asking your vet about using steroids.

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (85276 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10453 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (19307 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (7674 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (19898 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (15552 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6058 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4202 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (15865 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9934 views)