Watery diarrhea.

Breed: not sure
My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began monitoring her weight loss, and she also began injecting her with fluids and B12 once a week. The weight loss continued. I found an article about coccidia online and asked that she be treated for this. The cat has now gained back a little weight and has some appetite, but still has diarrhea and vomiting. The diarrhea had been very watery and yellow, but now is a little more solid and has taken on the green color of the treats she is eating (about all she wants to eat these days, but slowly gaining interest in other foods again). Can you give me any suggestions as to what else I could check for? Is giardia a possibility?

I'm sorry to hear that Weasie is having these problems. Chronic diarrhea in cats can be a VERY frustrating thing to deal with.

It's interesting that she responded to coccidia treatment. It is uncommon for a cat of this age to pick up coccidia. I'm wondering if the treatment was an antibiotic like S-125. It's possible that she has something called SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and that the antibiotic helped temporarily.

SIBO is sometimes a component of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). IBD is really common in cats, especially as they get older. It sounds like your vet was thinking of IBD if they were treating with B12.

I have found that most of my patients with IBD will need steroids of some sort, either by pill form or sometimes in injection every 4-6 weeks. (I prefer to use pills though.) You could ask your vet if this is an option. Cats handle steroids really well. For most of my patients I am able to get them down to a miniscule dose every other day.

Giardia is unlikely unless for some reason it is rampant in your area. I often will put diarrhea patients on a course of metronidazole which is a medication that treats giardia but also helps with intestinal inflammation as well.

The other thing that I worry about when an older cat has diarrhea is intestinal lymphoma which is a cancer of the intestines. Unfortunately the only way to tell the difference between lymphoma and IBD is to have biopsies done which is expensive and invasive.

I hope this helps. I would definitely suggest asking your vet about using steroids.

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (8331 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (6137 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (14651 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (34151 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8840 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (22030 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (10482 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (26053 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (66002 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4617 views)