Watery diarrhea.

Breed: not sure
My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began monitoring her weight loss, and she also began injecting her with fluids and B12 once a week. The weight loss continued. I found an article about coccidia online and asked that she be treated for this. The cat has now gained back a little weight and has some appetite, but still has diarrhea and vomiting. The diarrhea had been very watery and yellow, but now is a little more solid and has taken on the green color of the treats she is eating (about all she wants to eat these days, but slowly gaining interest in other foods again). Can you give me any suggestions as to what else I could check for? Is giardia a possibility?

I'm sorry to hear that Weasie is having these problems. Chronic diarrhea in cats can be a VERY frustrating thing to deal with.

It's interesting that she responded to coccidia treatment. It is uncommon for a cat of this age to pick up coccidia. I'm wondering if the treatment was an antibiotic like S-125. It's possible that she has something called SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and that the antibiotic helped temporarily.

SIBO is sometimes a component of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). IBD is really common in cats, especially as they get older. It sounds like your vet was thinking of IBD if they were treating with B12.

I have found that most of my patients with IBD will need steroids of some sort, either by pill form or sometimes in injection every 4-6 weeks. (I prefer to use pills though.) You could ask your vet if this is an option. Cats handle steroids really well. For most of my patients I am able to get them down to a miniscule dose every other day.

Giardia is unlikely unless for some reason it is rampant in your area. I often will put diarrhea patients on a course of metronidazole which is a medication that treats giardia but also helps with intestinal inflammation as well.

The other thing that I worry about when an older cat has diarrhea is intestinal lymphoma which is a cancer of the intestines. Unfortunately the only way to tell the difference between lymphoma and IBD is to have biopsies done which is expensive and invasive.

I hope this helps. I would definitely suggest asking your vet about using steroids.

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (6836 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5250 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12244 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9667 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (21302 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (4863 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5191 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10475 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9625 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (6119 views)