Swollen vulva.

Breed: American Bulldog
My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI do? It doesn't seem to bother her but it is not normal size and I can smell it when she clean herself.

Sorry to hear that Allie is having problems.

My main concern, if she still has a swollen vulva, is that she may have an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This can be a very serious condition. If she does have pyometra then she will need to be spayed.

Certain tumors affecting the ovaries or uterus could cause swelling in the vulva as well.

Some dogs can have a persistent heat but really it shouldn't last a few months.

It's also possible that she simply has a vaginal or vuvlar infection which would not be as serious but would need antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

One other thought - do you yourself use any estrogen cream? If you do and then handle your dog it is possible she is being exposed to estrogen which could cause the vulva to remain swollen.

I would highly advise a vet visit. My main concern is for pyometra. If this is the case she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (7467 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (9109 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (9177 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (26495 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (7788 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (8703 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (30892 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5426 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4383 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (47602 views)