Swollen vulva.

Breed: American Bulldog
My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI do? It doesn't seem to bother her but it is not normal size and I can smell it when she clean herself.

Sorry to hear that Allie is having problems.

My main concern, if she still has a swollen vulva, is that she may have an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This can be a very serious condition. If she does have pyometra then she will need to be spayed.

Certain tumors affecting the ovaries or uterus could cause swelling in the vulva as well.

Some dogs can have a persistent heat but really it shouldn't last a few months.

It's also possible that she simply has a vaginal or vuvlar infection which would not be as serious but would need antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

One other thought - do you yourself use any estrogen cream? If you do and then handle your dog it is possible she is being exposed to estrogen which could cause the vulva to remain swollen.

I would highly advise a vet visit. My main concern is for pyometra. If this is the case she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (11133 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15590 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12927 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (33938 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (42051 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14441 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (6816 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13615 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12333 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8386 views)