Swollen vulva.

Breed: American Bulldog
My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI do? It doesn't seem to bother her but it is not normal size and I can smell it when she clean herself.

Sorry to hear that Allie is having problems.

My main concern, if she still has a swollen vulva, is that she may have an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This can be a very serious condition. If she does have pyometra then she will need to be spayed.

Certain tumors affecting the ovaries or uterus could cause swelling in the vulva as well.

Some dogs can have a persistent heat but really it shouldn't last a few months.

It's also possible that she simply has a vaginal or vuvlar infection which would not be as serious but would need antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

One other thought - do you yourself use any estrogen cream? If you do and then handle your dog it is possible she is being exposed to estrogen which could cause the vulva to remain swollen.

I would highly advise a vet visit. My main concern is for pyometra. If this is the case she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (29769 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (27974 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5675 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (66858 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (18257 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14709 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (16763 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (8206 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (13377 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9745 views)