Swollen vulva.

Breed: American Bulldog
My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI do? It doesn't seem to bother her but it is not normal size and I can smell it when she clean herself.

Sorry to hear that Allie is having problems.

My main concern, if she still has a swollen vulva, is that she may have an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This can be a very serious condition. If she does have pyometra then she will need to be spayed.

Certain tumors affecting the ovaries or uterus could cause swelling in the vulva as well.

Some dogs can have a persistent heat but really it shouldn't last a few months.

It's also possible that she simply has a vaginal or vuvlar infection which would not be as serious but would need antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

One other thought - do you yourself use any estrogen cream? If you do and then handle your dog it is possible she is being exposed to estrogen which could cause the vulva to remain swollen.

I would highly advise a vet visit. My main concern is for pyometra. If this is the case she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (17555 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (17289 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (9339 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6250 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (9836 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (13634 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (27355 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (9110 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (12132 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (18104 views)