Swollen vulva.

Breed: American Bulldog
My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI do? It doesn't seem to bother her but it is not normal size and I can smell it when she clean herself.

Sorry to hear that Allie is having problems.

My main concern, if she still has a swollen vulva, is that she may have an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This can be a very serious condition. If she does have pyometra then she will need to be spayed.

Certain tumors affecting the ovaries or uterus could cause swelling in the vulva as well.

Some dogs can have a persistent heat but really it shouldn't last a few months.

It's also possible that she simply has a vaginal or vuvlar infection which would not be as serious but would need antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

One other thought - do you yourself use any estrogen cream? If you do and then handle your dog it is possible she is being exposed to estrogen which could cause the vulva to remain swollen.

I would highly advise a vet visit. My main concern is for pyometra. If this is the case she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (15403 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (23198 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (12297 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (10443 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (14344 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (34811 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (17090 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (21009 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (35699 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (9840 views)