Swollen vulva.

Breed: American Bulldog
My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI do? It doesn't seem to bother her but it is not normal size and I can smell it when she clean herself.

Sorry to hear that Allie is having problems.

My main concern, if she still has a swollen vulva, is that she may have an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This can be a very serious condition. If she does have pyometra then she will need to be spayed.

Certain tumors affecting the ovaries or uterus could cause swelling in the vulva as well.

Some dogs can have a persistent heat but really it shouldn't last a few months.

It's also possible that she simply has a vaginal or vuvlar infection which would not be as serious but would need antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

One other thought - do you yourself use any estrogen cream? If you do and then handle your dog it is possible she is being exposed to estrogen which could cause the vulva to remain swollen.

I would highly advise a vet visit. My main concern is for pyometra. If this is the case she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9036 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5284 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (6649 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (11991 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (4781 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (18917 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (32120 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (8779 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (11457 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (109764 views)