Swollen vulva.

Breed: American Bulldog
My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI do? It doesn't seem to bother her but it is not normal size and I can smell it when she clean herself.

Sorry to hear that Allie is having problems.

My main concern, if she still has a swollen vulva, is that she may have an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This can be a very serious condition. If she does have pyometra then she will need to be spayed.

Certain tumors affecting the ovaries or uterus could cause swelling in the vulva as well.

Some dogs can have a persistent heat but really it shouldn't last a few months.

It's also possible that she simply has a vaginal or vuvlar infection which would not be as serious but would need antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

One other thought - do you yourself use any estrogen cream? If you do and then handle your dog it is possible she is being exposed to estrogen which could cause the vulva to remain swollen.

I would highly advise a vet visit. My main concern is for pyometra. If this is the case she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4481 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (6793 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7586 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (29818 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (13495 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (11020 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9157 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (5097 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7575 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10342 views)