Kennel cough in pregnant dog.

Breed: Miniature dachshund
My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm concerned about kennel cough. As a relatives dog had it recently. It's been 4 days since I noticed very mild symptoms just occasional no raspy sound or signs of infection/fever. Bigger concern is she's just 2 weeks pregnant how will this effect her if she is pregnant. Once she's over it and if all else goes well, from what I've read she may still be contagious when they are born.

I have seen a few dogs with kennel cough that presented as having a reverse sneeze. However, I wouldn't say that it is a common symptom in dogs with kennel cough.

Most dogs with kennel cough get over it on their own with a few days. There is more information here: kennel cough.

Will a pregnant dog with kennel cough be in danger? The short answer to this is that she, and her puppies are probably ok. However, there is some concern because some types of kennel cough contain a herpes virus that can be very dangerous to newborn puppies. The good news though is that the pups would not be exposed to the kennel cough until they are born and by that time hopefully your dog will have recovered. Also, if they are able to nurse from her right away, then the colostrum will give them the antibodies that they need to fight the disease.

The only real concern I would have would be if your dog gets really really sick with kennel cough. Any extreme sickness has the potential to harm a pregnancy. But, this does not happen very commonly with kennel cough.

If she gets worse, loses her appetite or if you are seeing a green or yellow nasal discharge then I would have the vet take a look.

Hopefully things will be ok!

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9188 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (32802 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5514 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (13301 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (31343 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (5503 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (20485 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (94443 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (22110 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (4473 views)