Kennel cough in pregnant dog.

Breed: Miniature dachshund
My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm concerned about kennel cough. As a relatives dog had it recently. It's been 4 days since I noticed very mild symptoms just occasional no raspy sound or signs of infection/fever. Bigger concern is she's just 2 weeks pregnant how will this effect her if she is pregnant. Once she's over it and if all else goes well, from what I've read she may still be contagious when they are born.

I have seen a few dogs with kennel cough that presented as having a reverse sneeze. However, I wouldn't say that it is a common symptom in dogs with kennel cough.

Most dogs with kennel cough get over it on their own with a few days. There is more information here: kennel cough.

Will a pregnant dog with kennel cough be in danger? The short answer to this is that she, and her puppies are probably ok. However, there is some concern because some types of kennel cough contain a herpes virus that can be very dangerous to newborn puppies. The good news though is that the pups would not be exposed to the kennel cough until they are born and by that time hopefully your dog will have recovered. Also, if they are able to nurse from her right away, then the colostrum will give them the antibodies that they need to fight the disease.

The only real concern I would have would be if your dog gets really really sick with kennel cough. Any extreme sickness has the potential to harm a pregnancy. But, this does not happen very commonly with kennel cough.

If she gets worse, loses her appetite or if you are seeing a green or yellow nasal discharge then I would have the vet take a look.

Hopefully things will be ok!

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (13874 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (15043 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (12950 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (9108 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (11484 views)

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (6896 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (18677 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6161 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (10086 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (19383 views)