Kennel cough in pregnant dog.

Breed: Miniature dachshund
My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm concerned about kennel cough. As a relatives dog had it recently. It's been 4 days since I noticed very mild symptoms just occasional no raspy sound or signs of infection/fever. Bigger concern is she's just 2 weeks pregnant how will this effect her if she is pregnant. Once she's over it and if all else goes well, from what I've read she may still be contagious when they are born.

I have seen a few dogs with kennel cough that presented as having a reverse sneeze. However, I wouldn't say that it is a common symptom in dogs with kennel cough.

Most dogs with kennel cough get over it on their own with a few days. There is more information here: kennel cough.

Will a pregnant dog with kennel cough be in danger? The short answer to this is that she, and her puppies are probably ok. However, there is some concern because some types of kennel cough contain a herpes virus that can be very dangerous to newborn puppies. The good news though is that the pups would not be exposed to the kennel cough until they are born and by that time hopefully your dog will have recovered. Also, if they are able to nurse from her right away, then the colostrum will give them the antibodies that they need to fight the disease.

The only real concern I would have would be if your dog gets really really sick with kennel cough. Any extreme sickness has the potential to harm a pregnancy. But, this does not happen very commonly with kennel cough.

If she gets worse, loses her appetite or if you are seeing a green or yellow nasal discharge then I would have the vet take a look.

Hopefully things will be ok!

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (19286 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (14384 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7291 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (8207 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (15727 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (12691 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (8100 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (122609 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (22407 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (17732 views)