Kennel cough in pregnant dog.

Breed: Miniature dachshund
My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm concerned about kennel cough. As a relatives dog had it recently. It's been 4 days since I noticed very mild symptoms just occasional no raspy sound or signs of infection/fever. Bigger concern is she's just 2 weeks pregnant how will this effect her if she is pregnant. Once she's over it and if all else goes well, from what I've read she may still be contagious when they are born.

I have seen a few dogs with kennel cough that presented as having a reverse sneeze. However, I wouldn't say that it is a common symptom in dogs with kennel cough.

Most dogs with kennel cough get over it on their own with a few days. There is more information here: kennel cough.

Will a pregnant dog with kennel cough be in danger? The short answer to this is that she, and her puppies are probably ok. However, there is some concern because some types of kennel cough contain a herpes virus that can be very dangerous to newborn puppies. The good news though is that the pups would not be exposed to the kennel cough until they are born and by that time hopefully your dog will have recovered. Also, if they are able to nurse from her right away, then the colostrum will give them the antibodies that they need to fight the disease.

The only real concern I would have would be if your dog gets really really sick with kennel cough. Any extreme sickness has the potential to harm a pregnancy. But, this does not happen very commonly with kennel cough.

If she gets worse, loses her appetite or if you are seeing a green or yellow nasal discharge then I would have the vet take a look.

Hopefully things will be ok!

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26795 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (37948 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (20435 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (35344 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11504 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9421 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5624 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (11027 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (9305 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (15376 views)