Kennel cough in pregnant dog.

Breed: Miniature dachshund
My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm concerned about kennel cough. As a relatives dog had it recently. It's been 4 days since I noticed very mild symptoms just occasional no raspy sound or signs of infection/fever. Bigger concern is she's just 2 weeks pregnant how will this effect her if she is pregnant. Once she's over it and if all else goes well, from what I've read she may still be contagious when they are born.

I have seen a few dogs with kennel cough that presented as having a reverse sneeze. However, I wouldn't say that it is a common symptom in dogs with kennel cough.

Most dogs with kennel cough get over it on their own with a few days. There is more information here: kennel cough.

Will a pregnant dog with kennel cough be in danger? The short answer to this is that she, and her puppies are probably ok. However, there is some concern because some types of kennel cough contain a herpes virus that can be very dangerous to newborn puppies. The good news though is that the pups would not be exposed to the kennel cough until they are born and by that time hopefully your dog will have recovered. Also, if they are able to nurse from her right away, then the colostrum will give them the antibodies that they need to fight the disease.

The only real concern I would have would be if your dog gets really really sick with kennel cough. Any extreme sickness has the potential to harm a pregnancy. But, this does not happen very commonly with kennel cough.

If she gets worse, loses her appetite or if you are seeing a green or yellow nasal discharge then I would have the vet take a look.

Hopefully things will be ok!

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (7947 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4873 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (66131 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7773 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7820 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15610 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (19425 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (57717 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7204 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (12747 views)