Will I be forced to euthanize?

Breed: pit bull/bull mastif
Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller side) she was just hit with hip displasia this year and was dealing with it ok using the frog sit and the cowboy walk. But she fell on one leg last week and now she is trying to heal but cant walk from that- so I am carrying her to go outside (which still does her bathroom stuff fine) and up and down the stairs which I dont mind. She is on pain meds for her authritis and glucosamine and she is NOT in any pain nor do i hear her howl or bark from any pain either. She eats and drinks like no tomorrow still and has eyes that are alive and happy still i know. My question is this, if I bring her to the vets at her age and symptoms will they insist to put her down? Cause I know its too early for that still cause even i suffered from 3 herniated discs and couldnt walk from that a few times and now im totally healed from working with weights. My dog can still stand on her own as of now its just when she tries to move she falls and i try to get her to stand at least once an hour to strengthen her muscles. Im sure she will heal but if not is a surgery at this age no a good idea? and will the vet enforce me to put her down if I bring her for a visit? IM very scarred of loosing her prematurely because of this. PLease help me im very distrot worrying about this. Thank you for your help.

Oh. Situations like this are so difficult.

The vet can't force you to put her down. Well....there are rare exceptions. If I saw a dog that was in very obvious pain and the owner was doing nothing about it then there are channels that I can go through to make sure that euthanasia happens. I think that has only happened to me once or twice in my career though.

If you visit the vet and let them know that you are not ready for euthanasia but want to know what other options you have to help your dog, they will respect that.

Whether or not Super Shal can have surgery depends on why she is having problems. The vet may want to take some xrays to determine if this is all due to hip dysplasia or perhaps there is a back injury. However, in any case, surgery would be difficult as it may be a challenge for a 14 year old dog to heal from a major surgery.

The vet can help you to determine how much pain is present. I will often hear people say, "She is not in pain" but, in reality there are only two reasons for a dog to be not able to bear weight. The first is pain and the second is because there is nerve damage (which is not always painful). If they do feel that pain is an issue they may be willing to prescribe even stronger medications to help such as Tramadol or Gabapentin.

Be prepared though that the vet may advise you to start thinking about euthanasia. If this is the advice that is given then it may soon be time.

It's a tough situation to be in. I really do hope that there is greater improvement soon.

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (16094 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9182 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9566 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8226 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (3908 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (180599 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (20548 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (84447 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (7918 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6017 views)