Will I be forced to euthanize?

Breed: pit bull/bull mastif
Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller side) she was just hit with hip displasia this year and was dealing with it ok using the frog sit and the cowboy walk. But she fell on one leg last week and now she is trying to heal but cant walk from that- so I am carrying her to go outside (which still does her bathroom stuff fine) and up and down the stairs which I dont mind. She is on pain meds for her authritis and glucosamine and she is NOT in any pain nor do i hear her howl or bark from any pain either. She eats and drinks like no tomorrow still and has eyes that are alive and happy still i know. My question is this, if I bring her to the vets at her age and symptoms will they insist to put her down? Cause I know its too early for that still cause even i suffered from 3 herniated discs and couldnt walk from that a few times and now im totally healed from working with weights. My dog can still stand on her own as of now its just when she tries to move she falls and i try to get her to stand at least once an hour to strengthen her muscles. Im sure she will heal but if not is a surgery at this age no a good idea? and will the vet enforce me to put her down if I bring her for a visit? IM very scarred of loosing her prematurely because of this. PLease help me im very distrot worrying about this. Thank you for your help.

Oh. Situations like this are so difficult.

The vet can't force you to put her down. Well....there are rare exceptions. If I saw a dog that was in very obvious pain and the owner was doing nothing about it then there are channels that I can go through to make sure that euthanasia happens. I think that has only happened to me once or twice in my career though.

If you visit the vet and let them know that you are not ready for euthanasia but want to know what other options you have to help your dog, they will respect that.

Whether or not Super Shal can have surgery depends on why she is having problems. The vet may want to take some xrays to determine if this is all due to hip dysplasia or perhaps there is a back injury. However, in any case, surgery would be difficult as it may be a challenge for a 14 year old dog to heal from a major surgery.

The vet can help you to determine how much pain is present. I will often hear people say, "She is not in pain" but, in reality there are only two reasons for a dog to be not able to bear weight. The first is pain and the second is because there is nerve damage (which is not always painful). If they do feel that pain is an issue they may be willing to prescribe even stronger medications to help such as Tramadol or Gabapentin.

Be prepared though that the vet may advise you to start thinking about euthanasia. If this is the advice that is given then it may soon be time.

It's a tough situation to be in. I really do hope that there is greater improvement soon.

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9247 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (49316 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (38276 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (21953 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (9088 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12673 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (23602 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (8096 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (91567 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (27506 views)