Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma.

Breed: German Shepherd
i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed with Hemangiosarcomas, Is there anything at all we can do to prevent him from us putting him down, I'm also aware that a dog with this condition has approximately 6 months to live.
Thank you for reading, and i hope you reply ASAP!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Riverson has hemangiosarcoma.

I am assuming this is on his spleen? If this is truly a hemangiosarcoma then the average survival time if he has surgery to remove his spleen is 100 days (just over 3 months). This can sometimes be extended if chemotherapy is done as well. However, most dogs don't live more than a year.

If surgery is an option for you financially, I would definitely consider it. I have had a few cases where we suspected hemangiosarcoma but when we took the spleen out it turned out it was actually a benign tumor on the spleen. One of my patients had her spleen removed 3 years ago and is still going strong. The only way to know for sure if it truly is hemangiosarcoma is to have the tumor sent away to a pathologist.

If surgery is not an option for you then some dogs will get some benefit from steroids (i.e. prednisone). However, hemangiosarcoma tends to spread quickly.

I really hope everything is ok.

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (10727 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (33485 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (12401 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (25901 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (106567 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (16118 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (11652 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (14524 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10883 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (9040 views)