Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma.

Breed: German Shepherd
i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed with Hemangiosarcomas, Is there anything at all we can do to prevent him from us putting him down, I'm also aware that a dog with this condition has approximately 6 months to live.
Thank you for reading, and i hope you reply ASAP!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Riverson has hemangiosarcoma.

I am assuming this is on his spleen? If this is truly a hemangiosarcoma then the average survival time if he has surgery to remove his spleen is 100 days (just over 3 months). This can sometimes be extended if chemotherapy is done as well. However, most dogs don't live more than a year.

If surgery is an option for you financially, I would definitely consider it. I have had a few cases where we suspected hemangiosarcoma but when we took the spleen out it turned out it was actually a benign tumor on the spleen. One of my patients had her spleen removed 3 years ago and is still going strong. The only way to know for sure if it truly is hemangiosarcoma is to have the tumor sent away to a pathologist.

If surgery is not an option for you then some dogs will get some benefit from steroids (i.e. prednisone). However, hemangiosarcoma tends to spread quickly.

I really hope everything is ok.

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6792 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (12878 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10617 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (6060 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9415 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10860 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (7906 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (70491 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (10953 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (29249 views)