Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma.

Breed: German Shepherd
i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed with Hemangiosarcomas, Is there anything at all we can do to prevent him from us putting him down, I'm also aware that a dog with this condition has approximately 6 months to live.
Thank you for reading, and i hope you reply ASAP!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Riverson has hemangiosarcoma.

I am assuming this is on his spleen? If this is truly a hemangiosarcoma then the average survival time if he has surgery to remove his spleen is 100 days (just over 3 months). This can sometimes be extended if chemotherapy is done as well. However, most dogs don't live more than a year.

If surgery is an option for you financially, I would definitely consider it. I have had a few cases where we suspected hemangiosarcoma but when we took the spleen out it turned out it was actually a benign tumor on the spleen. One of my patients had her spleen removed 3 years ago and is still going strong. The only way to know for sure if it truly is hemangiosarcoma is to have the tumor sent away to a pathologist.

If surgery is not an option for you then some dogs will get some benefit from steroids (i.e. prednisone). However, hemangiosarcoma tends to spread quickly.

I really hope everything is ok.

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (12125 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (36881 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (6165 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (17649 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (15303 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (12505 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (17362 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (14917 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (12762 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (14265 views)