Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma.

Breed: German Shepherd
i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed with Hemangiosarcomas, Is there anything at all we can do to prevent him from us putting him down, I'm also aware that a dog with this condition has approximately 6 months to live.
Thank you for reading, and i hope you reply ASAP!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Riverson has hemangiosarcoma.

I am assuming this is on his spleen? If this is truly a hemangiosarcoma then the average survival time if he has surgery to remove his spleen is 100 days (just over 3 months). This can sometimes be extended if chemotherapy is done as well. However, most dogs don't live more than a year.

If surgery is an option for you financially, I would definitely consider it. I have had a few cases where we suspected hemangiosarcoma but when we took the spleen out it turned out it was actually a benign tumor on the spleen. One of my patients had her spleen removed 3 years ago and is still going strong. The only way to know for sure if it truly is hemangiosarcoma is to have the tumor sent away to a pathologist.

If surgery is not an option for you then some dogs will get some benefit from steroids (i.e. prednisone). However, hemangiosarcoma tends to spread quickly.

I really hope everything is ok.

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (11179 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (9172 views)

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (14946 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (7322 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (9513 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (14171 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (12379 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (8203 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (10536 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (12423 views)