Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma.

Breed: German Shepherd
i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed with Hemangiosarcomas, Is there anything at all we can do to prevent him from us putting him down, I'm also aware that a dog with this condition has approximately 6 months to live.
Thank you for reading, and i hope you reply ASAP!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Riverson has hemangiosarcoma.

I am assuming this is on his spleen? If this is truly a hemangiosarcoma then the average survival time if he has surgery to remove his spleen is 100 days (just over 3 months). This can sometimes be extended if chemotherapy is done as well. However, most dogs don't live more than a year.

If surgery is an option for you financially, I would definitely consider it. I have had a few cases where we suspected hemangiosarcoma but when we took the spleen out it turned out it was actually a benign tumor on the spleen. One of my patients had her spleen removed 3 years ago and is still going strong. The only way to know for sure if it truly is hemangiosarcoma is to have the tumor sent away to a pathologist.

If surgery is not an option for you then some dogs will get some benefit from steroids (i.e. prednisone). However, hemangiosarcoma tends to spread quickly.

I really hope everything is ok.

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (22062 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (13864 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (11907 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (30335 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (15607 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (13970 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (13717 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (9876 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (36863 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (11779 views)