My dog eats too fast.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating, without digesting his food. I mean inhales. Since he is a large dog, I have his food and water bowls elevated on a food stand for large dogs.

My question: Is it better to have him eat out of his elevated bowl and just allow him to inhale his food, or is it better if I put his meals in a rubber Kong and let him work a bit (which slows him down) to eat. I'm just concerned since the Kong is on the ground and i heard it's not health for large dogs to bend so far over while eating.

Any advice?

I appreciate your help.

This is a really common problem in Labs!

I really don't have a problem with a dog bending over while eating. Personally, I think the Kong is a better idea than letting him eat his food too quickly.

Here are some other suggestions that may help.

I hope that helps!

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (5644 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (14953 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (9867 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7511 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (6024 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (22419 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (8420 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (19607 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5336 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10277 views)