My dog eats too fast.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating, without digesting his food. I mean inhales. Since he is a large dog, I have his food and water bowls elevated on a food stand for large dogs.

My question: Is it better to have him eat out of his elevated bowl and just allow him to inhale his food, or is it better if I put his meals in a rubber Kong and let him work a bit (which slows him down) to eat. I'm just concerned since the Kong is on the ground and i heard it's not health for large dogs to bend so far over while eating.

Any advice?

I appreciate your help.

This is a really common problem in Labs!

I really don't have a problem with a dog bending over while eating. Personally, I think the Kong is a better idea than letting him eat his food too quickly.

Here are some other suggestions that may help.

I hope that helps!

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (6886 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (5496 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10763 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7272 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8892 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21398 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33562 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16358 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (110611 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6542 views)