My dog eats too fast.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating, without digesting his food. I mean inhales. Since he is a large dog, I have his food and water bowls elevated on a food stand for large dogs.

My question: Is it better to have him eat out of his elevated bowl and just allow him to inhale his food, or is it better if I put his meals in a rubber Kong and let him work a bit (which slows him down) to eat. I'm just concerned since the Kong is on the ground and i heard it's not health for large dogs to bend so far over while eating.

Any advice?

I appreciate your help.

This is a really common problem in Labs!

I really don't have a problem with a dog bending over while eating. Personally, I think the Kong is a better idea than letting him eat his food too quickly.

Here are some other suggestions that may help.

I hope that helps!

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (13994 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (10912 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (7023 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (23490 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (24401 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (16045 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (7304 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (9117 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (14694 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (9462 views)