Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

My dog eats too fast.

Species: Dog
Breed: Chocolate Lab
Age: 1-2 years
My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating, without digesting his food. I mean inhales. Since he is a large dog, I have his food and water bowls elevated on a food stand for large dogs.

My question: Is it better to have him eat out of his elevated bowl and just allow him to inhale his food, or is it better if I put his meals in a rubber Kong and let him work a bit (which slows him down) to eat. I'm just concerned since the Kong is on the ground and i heard it's not health for large dogs to bend so far over while eating.

Any advice?

I appreciate your help.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This is a really common problem in Labs!

I really don't have a problem with a dog bending over while eating. Personally, I think the Kong is a better idea than letting him eat his food too quickly.

Here are some other suggestions that may help.



I hope that helps!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (6886 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (5496 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10763 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7272 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8892 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21398 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33562 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16358 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (110611 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6542 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.