Coughing blood and mucus.

Breed: DSH
Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of some sort on his right side about two inches by one inch just in front of his back leg and below his rib, that we were told not to worry about. What could be wrong?

I don't often see a cat who is coughing up blood. This will be a hard question for me to answer without seeing Marvin, but I'll give you a few thoughts.

First of all, it is unlikely that this is related to a tumor on his side, especially if the vet didn't think that the tumor was anything to worry about. There are not a lot of skin tumors in cats that can spread to the lungs. Usually if there is a cancerous tumor it will just look "angry".

Are you sure that the blood is coming from coughing? Could it be sneezing? It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in a cat. If a cat is sneezing and there is blood in it, the first thing I think of is an upper respiratory virus. Sometimes the force of the sneezing can cause small amounts of blood. If it is due to sneezing then it could also be due to a foreign object up the nose, a tumor in the nose (uncommon in a young cat) or a dental problem.

Is it possible that what you thought was coughing is actually vomiting? If so, then the force of the vomit could cause small blood vessels to break and produce the blood.

If Marvin truly is coughing up blood then I think it is a good idea to have your vet examine him. Your vet will likely want to take some xrays of his chest and also do some blood tests to see if he is losing blood internally.

I wish I could give you more advice! Feel free to reply and give me more details if there is anything else you can tell me about Marvin.

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (22673 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (12994 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (4407 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (22260 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (4892 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (106439 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (8719 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (15064 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (22490 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6296 views)