Coughing blood and mucus.

Breed: DSH
Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of some sort on his right side about two inches by one inch just in front of his back leg and below his rib, that we were told not to worry about. What could be wrong?

I don't often see a cat who is coughing up blood. This will be a hard question for me to answer without seeing Marvin, but I'll give you a few thoughts.

First of all, it is unlikely that this is related to a tumor on his side, especially if the vet didn't think that the tumor was anything to worry about. There are not a lot of skin tumors in cats that can spread to the lungs. Usually if there is a cancerous tumor it will just look "angry".

Are you sure that the blood is coming from coughing? Could it be sneezing? It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in a cat. If a cat is sneezing and there is blood in it, the first thing I think of is an upper respiratory virus. Sometimes the force of the sneezing can cause small amounts of blood. If it is due to sneezing then it could also be due to a foreign object up the nose, a tumor in the nose (uncommon in a young cat) or a dental problem.

Is it possible that what you thought was coughing is actually vomiting? If so, then the force of the vomit could cause small blood vessels to break and produce the blood.

If Marvin truly is coughing up blood then I think it is a good idea to have your vet examine him. Your vet will likely want to take some xrays of his chest and also do some blood tests to see if he is losing blood internally.

I wish I could give you more advice! Feel free to reply and give me more details if there is anything else you can tell me about Marvin.

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8203 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7543 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (11463 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (9558 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (8777 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (14268 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (101796 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (20693 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (40320 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7483 views)