Coughing blood and mucus.

Breed: DSH
Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of some sort on his right side about two inches by one inch just in front of his back leg and below his rib, that we were told not to worry about. What could be wrong?

I don't often see a cat who is coughing up blood. This will be a hard question for me to answer without seeing Marvin, but I'll give you a few thoughts.

First of all, it is unlikely that this is related to a tumor on his side, especially if the vet didn't think that the tumor was anything to worry about. There are not a lot of skin tumors in cats that can spread to the lungs. Usually if there is a cancerous tumor it will just look "angry".

Are you sure that the blood is coming from coughing? Could it be sneezing? It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in a cat. If a cat is sneezing and there is blood in it, the first thing I think of is an upper respiratory virus. Sometimes the force of the sneezing can cause small amounts of blood. If it is due to sneezing then it could also be due to a foreign object up the nose, a tumor in the nose (uncommon in a young cat) or a dental problem.

Is it possible that what you thought was coughing is actually vomiting? If so, then the force of the vomit could cause small blood vessels to break and produce the blood.

If Marvin truly is coughing up blood then I think it is a good idea to have your vet examine him. Your vet will likely want to take some xrays of his chest and also do some blood tests to see if he is losing blood internally.

I wish I could give you more advice! Feel free to reply and give me more details if there is anything else you can tell me about Marvin.

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (17895 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (13704 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (9943 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (33341 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39362 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6654 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (10087 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (44333 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4771 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (4909 views)