Coughing blood and mucus.

Breed: DSH
Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of some sort on his right side about two inches by one inch just in front of his back leg and below his rib, that we were told not to worry about. What could be wrong?

I don't often see a cat who is coughing up blood. This will be a hard question for me to answer without seeing Marvin, but I'll give you a few thoughts.

First of all, it is unlikely that this is related to a tumor on his side, especially if the vet didn't think that the tumor was anything to worry about. There are not a lot of skin tumors in cats that can spread to the lungs. Usually if there is a cancerous tumor it will just look "angry".

Are you sure that the blood is coming from coughing? Could it be sneezing? It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in a cat. If a cat is sneezing and there is blood in it, the first thing I think of is an upper respiratory virus. Sometimes the force of the sneezing can cause small amounts of blood. If it is due to sneezing then it could also be due to a foreign object up the nose, a tumor in the nose (uncommon in a young cat) or a dental problem.

Is it possible that what you thought was coughing is actually vomiting? If so, then the force of the vomit could cause small blood vessels to break and produce the blood.

If Marvin truly is coughing up blood then I think it is a good idea to have your vet examine him. Your vet will likely want to take some xrays of his chest and also do some blood tests to see if he is losing blood internally.

I wish I could give you more advice! Feel free to reply and give me more details if there is anything else you can tell me about Marvin.

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (9312 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (103198 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (9887 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (39140 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (24233 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (12152 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (42569 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (15401 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (10913 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (18272 views)