Coughing blood and mucus.

Breed: DSH
Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of some sort on his right side about two inches by one inch just in front of his back leg and below his rib, that we were told not to worry about. What could be wrong?

I don't often see a cat who is coughing up blood. This will be a hard question for me to answer without seeing Marvin, but I'll give you a few thoughts.

First of all, it is unlikely that this is related to a tumor on his side, especially if the vet didn't think that the tumor was anything to worry about. There are not a lot of skin tumors in cats that can spread to the lungs. Usually if there is a cancerous tumor it will just look "angry".

Are you sure that the blood is coming from coughing? Could it be sneezing? It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in a cat. If a cat is sneezing and there is blood in it, the first thing I think of is an upper respiratory virus. Sometimes the force of the sneezing can cause small amounts of blood. If it is due to sneezing then it could also be due to a foreign object up the nose, a tumor in the nose (uncommon in a young cat) or a dental problem.

Is it possible that what you thought was coughing is actually vomiting? If so, then the force of the vomit could cause small blood vessels to break and produce the blood.

If Marvin truly is coughing up blood then I think it is a good idea to have your vet examine him. Your vet will likely want to take some xrays of his chest and also do some blood tests to see if he is losing blood internally.

I wish I could give you more advice! Feel free to reply and give me more details if there is anything else you can tell me about Marvin.

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10349 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4499 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7516 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4836 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (9666 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (55243 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8218 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10379 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (42148 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6422 views)