Seizures wouldn't stop.

Breed: shih tzu mix
My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He didnt come out of it. The doctors used 4 different types of medication typically used for seizure and still he remained unresponsive. They said after the first two, there should be a response already. He was still convulsing and twitching and it wont stop. It has been three hours since the seizure first started and still, nothing. The doctors said this is the really life threatening kind and even if he recovers he will end up having permanent brain damage... so we decided to end his suffering. Bear is gone now but Im still haunted by his sudden death. Should I have fought for him? What are the chances that a dog will come out of that condition and still be okay? Did I do the right thing?

You may not choose to answer my question but I guess its okay. Im just wanting reassurance that we did the right thing... cos I miss him so bad...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you and Bear went through this. I had a very similar case a few months ago where we could not stop the dog's seizures and on my recommendation the owners put him to sleep.

If a dog is seizuring for 3 hours then there is an extremely high chance that he will be brain damaged after the seizures...that is, assuming that the seizures stopped.

I am very sorry for your loss. I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like the right one. Even if they could have stopped his seizures (which may not have happened) we don't know what caused them and he likely would have a lifetime of struggling with seizures.

If you would like to do this, I am starting a section of my blog where people can post memorials for their pets. There is no charge for this - it's a service that I can offer to help people with their grief. You can see an example here of Emmy who was a patient of mine: In memory of Emmy.

Feel free to send me a photo and a writeup to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss but it sounds like you did the right thing.

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (9635 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (15158 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (11591 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8849 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (17298 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9679 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8966 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (11264 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (13758 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (11330 views)