Seizures wouldn't stop.

Breed: shih tzu mix
My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He didnt come out of it. The doctors used 4 different types of medication typically used for seizure and still he remained unresponsive. They said after the first two, there should be a response already. He was still convulsing and twitching and it wont stop. It has been three hours since the seizure first started and still, nothing. The doctors said this is the really life threatening kind and even if he recovers he will end up having permanent brain damage... so we decided to end his suffering. Bear is gone now but Im still haunted by his sudden death. Should I have fought for him? What are the chances that a dog will come out of that condition and still be okay? Did I do the right thing?

You may not choose to answer my question but I guess its okay. Im just wanting reassurance that we did the right thing... cos I miss him so bad...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you and Bear went through this. I had a very similar case a few months ago where we could not stop the dog's seizures and on my recommendation the owners put him to sleep.

If a dog is seizuring for 3 hours then there is an extremely high chance that he will be brain damaged after the seizures...that is, assuming that the seizures stopped.

I am very sorry for your loss. I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like the right one. Even if they could have stopped his seizures (which may not have happened) we don't know what caused them and he likely would have a lifetime of struggling with seizures.

If you would like to do this, I am starting a section of my blog where people can post memorials for their pets. There is no charge for this - it's a service that I can offer to help people with their grief. You can see an example here of Emmy who was a patient of mine: In memory of Emmy.

Feel free to send me a photo and a writeup to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss but it sounds like you did the right thing.

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (44251 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14718 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (14984 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8427 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (11816 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10635 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15168 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8401 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9360 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (16197 views)