Seizures wouldn't stop.

Breed: shih tzu mix
My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He didnt come out of it. The doctors used 4 different types of medication typically used for seizure and still he remained unresponsive. They said after the first two, there should be a response already. He was still convulsing and twitching and it wont stop. It has been three hours since the seizure first started and still, nothing. The doctors said this is the really life threatening kind and even if he recovers he will end up having permanent brain damage... so we decided to end his suffering. Bear is gone now but Im still haunted by his sudden death. Should I have fought for him? What are the chances that a dog will come out of that condition and still be okay? Did I do the right thing?

You may not choose to answer my question but I guess its okay. Im just wanting reassurance that we did the right thing... cos I miss him so bad...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you and Bear went through this. I had a very similar case a few months ago where we could not stop the dog's seizures and on my recommendation the owners put him to sleep.

If a dog is seizuring for 3 hours then there is an extremely high chance that he will be brain damaged after the seizures...that is, assuming that the seizures stopped.

I am very sorry for your loss. I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like the right one. Even if they could have stopped his seizures (which may not have happened) we don't know what caused them and he likely would have a lifetime of struggling with seizures.

If you would like to do this, I am starting a section of my blog where people can post memorials for their pets. There is no charge for this - it's a service that I can offer to help people with their grief. You can see an example here of Emmy who was a patient of mine: In memory of Emmy.

Feel free to send me a photo and a writeup to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss but it sounds like you did the right thing.

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (20265 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (78586 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (5248 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (177269 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10766 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8910 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (17281 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5539 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (17181 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (25324 views)