Seizures wouldn't stop.

Breed: shih tzu mix
My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He didnt come out of it. The doctors used 4 different types of medication typically used for seizure and still he remained unresponsive. They said after the first two, there should be a response already. He was still convulsing and twitching and it wont stop. It has been three hours since the seizure first started and still, nothing. The doctors said this is the really life threatening kind and even if he recovers he will end up having permanent brain damage... so we decided to end his suffering. Bear is gone now but Im still haunted by his sudden death. Should I have fought for him? What are the chances that a dog will come out of that condition and still be okay? Did I do the right thing?

You may not choose to answer my question but I guess its okay. Im just wanting reassurance that we did the right thing... cos I miss him so bad...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you and Bear went through this. I had a very similar case a few months ago where we could not stop the dog's seizures and on my recommendation the owners put him to sleep.

If a dog is seizuring for 3 hours then there is an extremely high chance that he will be brain damaged after the seizures...that is, assuming that the seizures stopped.

I am very sorry for your loss. I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like the right one. Even if they could have stopped his seizures (which may not have happened) we don't know what caused them and he likely would have a lifetime of struggling with seizures.

If you would like to do this, I am starting a section of my blog where people can post memorials for their pets. There is no charge for this - it's a service that I can offer to help people with their grief. You can see an example here of Emmy who was a patient of mine: In memory of Emmy.

Feel free to send me a photo and a writeup to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss but it sounds like you did the right thing.

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4353 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (16859 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13157 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (48864 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10082 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (6811 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (6475 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (9967 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (23654 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17467 views)