Seizures wouldn't stop.

Breed: shih tzu mix
My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He didnt come out of it. The doctors used 4 different types of medication typically used for seizure and still he remained unresponsive. They said after the first two, there should be a response already. He was still convulsing and twitching and it wont stop. It has been three hours since the seizure first started and still, nothing. The doctors said this is the really life threatening kind and even if he recovers he will end up having permanent brain damage... so we decided to end his suffering. Bear is gone now but Im still haunted by his sudden death. Should I have fought for him? What are the chances that a dog will come out of that condition and still be okay? Did I do the right thing?

You may not choose to answer my question but I guess its okay. Im just wanting reassurance that we did the right thing... cos I miss him so bad...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you and Bear went through this. I had a very similar case a few months ago where we could not stop the dog's seizures and on my recommendation the owners put him to sleep.

If a dog is seizuring for 3 hours then there is an extremely high chance that he will be brain damaged after the seizures...that is, assuming that the seizures stopped.

I am very sorry for your loss. I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like the right one. Even if they could have stopped his seizures (which may not have happened) we don't know what caused them and he likely would have a lifetime of struggling with seizures.

If you would like to do this, I am starting a section of my blog where people can post memorials for their pets. There is no charge for this - it's a service that I can offer to help people with their grief. You can see an example here of Emmy who was a patient of mine: In memory of Emmy.

Feel free to send me a photo and a writeup to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss but it sounds like you did the right thing.

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (86761 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8247 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (4991 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8692 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45862 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8382 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15799 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (15063 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19049 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31723 views)