Dog's nails are breaking.

Breed: American White Sheph
My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails have started to break. When it happens there is much bleeding. I was told by a friend to put flour on the toe to stop the bleeding and it seems to have worked. At the moment she is in her Pet Taxi so she cannot walk around on the sore paw.

My concern is that this is the third time she's broken a nail in under two months. What do you think the problem is? What do you recomend?

Thank you for your time.
--Annabella

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at your dog.

There are a number of conditions that can cause a dog's nails to become brittle.

Some dogs can do this because of a zinc deficiency. For others it can be a serious autoimmune problem.

I'd advise not to wait too long as the sooner this gets dealt with the better.

Hope everything is ok!

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5465 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8125 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (8725 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (9449 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (9531 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8409 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12868 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32770 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (13736 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (15238 views)