Dog's nails are breaking.

Breed: American White Sheph
My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails have started to break. When it happens there is much bleeding. I was told by a friend to put flour on the toe to stop the bleeding and it seems to have worked. At the moment she is in her Pet Taxi so she cannot walk around on the sore paw.

My concern is that this is the third time she's broken a nail in under two months. What do you think the problem is? What do you recomend?

Thank you for your time.
--Annabella

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at your dog.

There are a number of conditions that can cause a dog's nails to become brittle.

Some dogs can do this because of a zinc deficiency. For others it can be a serious autoimmune problem.

I'd advise not to wait too long as the sooner this gets dealt with the better.

Hope everything is ok!

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (9285 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (10343 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (8355 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (6594 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (7199 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (12042 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (19526 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (13135 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (13929 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (24474 views)