Dog's nails are breaking.

Breed: American White Sheph
My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails have started to break. When it happens there is much bleeding. I was told by a friend to put flour on the toe to stop the bleeding and it seems to have worked. At the moment she is in her Pet Taxi so she cannot walk around on the sore paw.

My concern is that this is the third time she's broken a nail in under two months. What do you think the problem is? What do you recomend?

Thank you for your time.
--Annabella

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at your dog.

There are a number of conditions that can cause a dog's nails to become brittle.

Some dogs can do this because of a zinc deficiency. For others it can be a serious autoimmune problem.

I'd advise not to wait too long as the sooner this gets dealt with the better.

Hope everything is ok!

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (11157 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (11280 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (13452 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (17259 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (12988 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (10155 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (9058 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (7321 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (6508 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (16221 views)