Dog's nails are breaking.

Breed: American White Sheph
My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails have started to break. When it happens there is much bleeding. I was told by a friend to put flour on the toe to stop the bleeding and it seems to have worked. At the moment she is in her Pet Taxi so she cannot walk around on the sore paw.

My concern is that this is the third time she's broken a nail in under two months. What do you think the problem is? What do you recomend?

Thank you for your time.
--Annabella

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at your dog.

There are a number of conditions that can cause a dog's nails to become brittle.

Some dogs can do this because of a zinc deficiency. For others it can be a serious autoimmune problem.

I'd advise not to wait too long as the sooner this gets dealt with the better.

Hope everything is ok!

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (13824 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (38015 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (16950 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (88141 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (9739 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (13083 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (26559 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (39793 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (8578 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (10565 views)