Dog's nails are breaking.

Breed: American White Sheph
My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails have started to break. When it happens there is much bleeding. I was told by a friend to put flour on the toe to stop the bleeding and it seems to have worked. At the moment she is in her Pet Taxi so she cannot walk around on the sore paw.

My concern is that this is the third time she's broken a nail in under two months. What do you think the problem is? What do you recomend?

Thank you for your time.
--Annabella

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at your dog.

There are a number of conditions that can cause a dog's nails to become brittle.

Some dogs can do this because of a zinc deficiency. For others it can be a serious autoimmune problem.

I'd advise not to wait too long as the sooner this gets dealt with the better.

Hope everything is ok!

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (6126 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (11051 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (25944 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (7096 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (15684 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (9062 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (12805 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (7499 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (15501 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (13350 views)