Dog's nails are breaking.

Breed: American White Sheph
My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails have started to break. When it happens there is much bleeding. I was told by a friend to put flour on the toe to stop the bleeding and it seems to have worked. At the moment she is in her Pet Taxi so she cannot walk around on the sore paw.

My concern is that this is the third time she's broken a nail in under two months. What do you think the problem is? What do you recomend?

Thank you for your time.
--Annabella

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at your dog.

There are a number of conditions that can cause a dog's nails to become brittle.

Some dogs can do this because of a zinc deficiency. For others it can be a serious autoimmune problem.

I'd advise not to wait too long as the sooner this gets dealt with the better.

Hope everything is ok!

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26686 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (13244 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (7431 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (32226 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (6407 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (23041 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (5254 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (7372 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8646 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (6255 views)