Is URTI contagious to other cats?

Breed: calico
I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI). her shots are up to date and the spca told me she would get better and my other cats wouldn;t catch it. She got worse so I took her to the vet and they gave me amoxicilin. I have been keeping her away from my other cats until she gets better. The question I have is will this recur throughout her lifetime and can it be transferred to my other cats even if she is showns no signs of an URTI. And is it true that if she gets stressed that she can infect other cats throughout her lifetime even when she shows no symptoms

Thanks for your question. Upper respiratory tract infections are really common in kittens.

They are usually contagious to other cats. However, if your other cats are properly vaccinated then they should not get it.

In most cases the infection does not come back again once a cat has cleared it. However, sometimes, if the infection is because of herpesvirus or because of mycoplasma felis they can have repeated bouts of infection and be contagious when these bouts happen.

But again, most cats that have an URTI as a kitten are fine and not contagious once they clear it. It can take a few weeks for her to totally recover.

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (4930 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (11358 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7174 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6030 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (17197 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (7747 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4604 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (5599 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10091 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (14852 views)