Is URTI contagious to other cats?

Breed: calico
I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI). her shots are up to date and the spca told me she would get better and my other cats wouldn;t catch it. She got worse so I took her to the vet and they gave me amoxicilin. I have been keeping her away from my other cats until she gets better. The question I have is will this recur throughout her lifetime and can it be transferred to my other cats even if she is showns no signs of an URTI. And is it true that if she gets stressed that she can infect other cats throughout her lifetime even when she shows no symptoms

Thanks for your question. Upper respiratory tract infections are really common in kittens.

They are usually contagious to other cats. However, if your other cats are properly vaccinated then they should not get it.

In most cases the infection does not come back again once a cat has cleared it. However, sometimes, if the infection is because of herpesvirus or because of mycoplasma felis they can have repeated bouts of infection and be contagious when these bouts happen.

But again, most cats that have an URTI as a kitten are fine and not contagious once they clear it. It can take a few weeks for her to totally recover.

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (32490 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (21769 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (16941 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (9341 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (13716 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (10808 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (37907 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (48048 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (9412 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (6820 views)