Is URTI contagious to other cats?

Breed: calico
I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI). her shots are up to date and the spca told me she would get better and my other cats wouldn;t catch it. She got worse so I took her to the vet and they gave me amoxicilin. I have been keeping her away from my other cats until she gets better. The question I have is will this recur throughout her lifetime and can it be transferred to my other cats even if she is showns no signs of an URTI. And is it true that if she gets stressed that she can infect other cats throughout her lifetime even when she shows no symptoms

Thanks for your question. Upper respiratory tract infections are really common in kittens.

They are usually contagious to other cats. However, if your other cats are properly vaccinated then they should not get it.

In most cases the infection does not come back again once a cat has cleared it. However, sometimes, if the infection is because of herpesvirus or because of mycoplasma felis they can have repeated bouts of infection and be contagious when these bouts happen.

But again, most cats that have an URTI as a kitten are fine and not contagious once they clear it. It can take a few weeks for her to totally recover.

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (11610 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (11941 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (15908 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (13100 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (12316 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (13810 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (61013 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (15282 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (22734 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (20783 views)