Is URTI contagious to other cats?

Breed: calico
I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI). her shots are up to date and the spca told me she would get better and my other cats wouldn;t catch it. She got worse so I took her to the vet and they gave me amoxicilin. I have been keeping her away from my other cats until she gets better. The question I have is will this recur throughout her lifetime and can it be transferred to my other cats even if she is showns no signs of an URTI. And is it true that if she gets stressed that she can infect other cats throughout her lifetime even when she shows no symptoms

Thanks for your question. Upper respiratory tract infections are really common in kittens.

They are usually contagious to other cats. However, if your other cats are properly vaccinated then they should not get it.

In most cases the infection does not come back again once a cat has cleared it. However, sometimes, if the infection is because of herpesvirus or because of mycoplasma felis they can have repeated bouts of infection and be contagious when these bouts happen.

But again, most cats that have an URTI as a kitten are fine and not contagious once they clear it. It can take a few weeks for her to totally recover.

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (12898 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (8255 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (12431 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (18206 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (8244 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (21034 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (20179 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (15995 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (12594 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (26938 views)