Is URTI contagious to other cats?

Breed: calico
I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI). her shots are up to date and the spca told me she would get better and my other cats wouldn;t catch it. She got worse so I took her to the vet and they gave me amoxicilin. I have been keeping her away from my other cats until she gets better. The question I have is will this recur throughout her lifetime and can it be transferred to my other cats even if she is showns no signs of an URTI. And is it true that if she gets stressed that she can infect other cats throughout her lifetime even when she shows no symptoms

Thanks for your question. Upper respiratory tract infections are really common in kittens.

They are usually contagious to other cats. However, if your other cats are properly vaccinated then they should not get it.

In most cases the infection does not come back again once a cat has cleared it. However, sometimes, if the infection is because of herpesvirus or because of mycoplasma felis they can have repeated bouts of infection and be contagious when these bouts happen.

But again, most cats that have an URTI as a kitten are fine and not contagious once they clear it. It can take a few weeks for her to totally recover.

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (7715 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (26690 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11308 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (8145 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8790 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6462 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10346 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (14925 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (11062 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (11744 views)