Is URTI contagious to other cats?

Breed: calico
I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI). her shots are up to date and the spca told me she would get better and my other cats wouldn;t catch it. She got worse so I took her to the vet and they gave me amoxicilin. I have been keeping her away from my other cats until she gets better. The question I have is will this recur throughout her lifetime and can it be transferred to my other cats even if she is showns no signs of an URTI. And is it true that if she gets stressed that she can infect other cats throughout her lifetime even when she shows no symptoms

Thanks for your question. Upper respiratory tract infections are really common in kittens.

They are usually contagious to other cats. However, if your other cats are properly vaccinated then they should not get it.

In most cases the infection does not come back again once a cat has cleared it. However, sometimes, if the infection is because of herpesvirus or because of mycoplasma felis they can have repeated bouts of infection and be contagious when these bouts happen.

But again, most cats that have an URTI as a kitten are fine and not contagious once they clear it. It can take a few weeks for her to totally recover.

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5648 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12733 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (12132 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (65681 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4983 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (32339 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5894 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22908 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (8492 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (162636 views)