Euthanized dog with megaesophagus.

Breed: Labrador
3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with megaesophugus one year ago. Over that time we tried to feed him different foods, he was doing much better with soft dog food made into meatballs but that didn't help enough. He would still regurate his food and water almost everyday. He lost so much weight he was only 25 kilos and so sad to look at. He still had energy and was happy most of the time. 3 days ago he stoped eating and didn't have energy his breathing was hard, reading all the info about this horrible desease i knew he may have chest infectinon. Brought him to the vet right away and after xray of chest and stomache and blood work they told us he has chest infection, his esophugus is much worse then year ago and they found blockage in his intestines. The blockage could have been most likely tumor but maybe an object. In any case he was not a candidate for surgery and he probably would not respond well to meds and treatments. The vet said that his prognosis was not good, so we decided to say good bye to our so loved and amazing dog. Today i feel so guilty for not trying to help him more and i can't move away from this feeling. I want your opinion in this, do you think there was a chance for him to get better and still have good Quality of life, please let me know if we could have done more for him. Over a year watching him regurate food and water and saliva and to see him hungry all the time and so skinny to the bones was painfull but he was still our bailey, so gentel with our small kids and happy and we were feeding him in baileys chair my housband build. Still that didn't help enough. I'm devasteted over the though we could have done more.

Aw. I'm sorry to hear about Bailey's story. Megaesophagus can be devastating. There are some dogs that can have mild forms of megaesophagus where they do really well with eating soft/liquid food from a raised platform. But other dogs really do not do well.

When I hear about Bailey's case, I think that if this were my case I would definitely have recommended euthanasia. As I see it, he had three issues:

-Megaesophagus
-Possible aspiration pneumonia
-Possible intestinal blockage

If we just ignore the second two issues for now, just the fact that he had megaesophagus for a year and was not able to put on weight would be enough for me to recommend euthanasia. If he is hungry all the time, that is not fair at all. And it sounds like you guys were doing everything possible that you could.

Now, let's add the fact that he had aspiration pneumonia. This is very serious. Now, it is possible that the pneumonia could be cured with antibiotics, but in some cases it can be fatal.

Thirdly, let's add the fact that there was possibly an intestinal blockage. Most likely he would have needed surgery to fix this. Surgery would not be advisable in a dog with aspiration pneumonia. There is a good chance that he would have died on the operating table and you would have been left with a large bill and still no dog.

But, even if he did have a blockage and he made it through surgery successfully, this doesn't change the fact that Bailey had megaesophagus so bad that he was starving every minute of his life.

In my opinion, with what you have told me, as hard as it was, I believe you made the right decision.

Thank you so much for your response, it made a huge difference. Now i have to deal with the pain of missing him so much, but i know that at least he is not suffering anymore and is somewhere happy and free of this horrible desease. Thank you!!

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (11055 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (3814 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (9032 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (4275 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (4987 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (9148 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (9701 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (14785 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (6714 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (17081 views)