Cats not eating.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair/
Viral Infection in Throat?

I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia).

1 cat came down with flu-like symptoms (fever, stopped eating) for 2 days. Now he’s back to eating, but showing signs of some irritation in his throat. No coughing, No vomiting, just frequent gagging.

2nd cat ended up with the exact symptom of throat irritation and has been hiding at 1 corner of the house. This has been going on for 1.5 days.

Both cats are still eating (less than usual, but still eating), but the 2nd cat is hiding all the time. He will only eat when I put the food bowl in front of him.

My 3rd cat is fine for now :)

As I just spent around US$1,500 on my cat’s constipation last month, I am reluctant to bring them to the vets again.

Can I monitor their situation for another 1-2 days, before I bring them to the vet? Or is it an emergency?

Thank you for reading my question and have a good day.

Sorry to hear that your kitties are under the weather!

It's definitely possible that your cats have an upper respiratory tract infection. These types of things are contagious between cats. Of course there is a possibility that there is something else going on, but most likely an upper respiratory virus is the culprit.

Here are some criteria that I use to help determine whether a cat needs to see the vet for symptoms like this:

-How is their appetite? If they are eating at least half of their normal amount of food then it's ok to wait a few days. But, if it's less than half and it goes on for more than 24 hours then it's not a good idea to wait. If a cat goes without food for a couple of days then they are at risk for getting a serious condition called fatty liver.

-Is there any green or yellow discharge? If there is a green or yellow discharge from the eyes or nose then this may mean a bacterial problem in which case they would need antibiotics.

For now, it's probably ok to keep an eye on them. You can encourage them to eat by heating up some canned cat food. (Make sure it's not too hot though!). The heated food will be smellier and if they are stuffed up, they can smell heated food better.

If their appetites are getting worse rather than better then I'd have them checked out. We're making the assumption that this is a flu-like problem but it could be something else like ingestion of a toxic substance such as a plant. This wouldn't cause a cat to have throat irritation but could cause the hiding and lack of appetite.

I hope they improve soon!

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (8760 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (12134 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (13946 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (4602 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (69929 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (10170 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5163 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13039 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10047 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (8429 views)