Cats not eating.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair/
Viral Infection in Throat?

I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia).

1 cat came down with flu-like symptoms (fever, stopped eating) for 2 days. Now he’s back to eating, but showing signs of some irritation in his throat. No coughing, No vomiting, just frequent gagging.

2nd cat ended up with the exact symptom of throat irritation and has been hiding at 1 corner of the house. This has been going on for 1.5 days.

Both cats are still eating (less than usual, but still eating), but the 2nd cat is hiding all the time. He will only eat when I put the food bowl in front of him.

My 3rd cat is fine for now :)

As I just spent around US$1,500 on my cat’s constipation last month, I am reluctant to bring them to the vets again.

Can I monitor their situation for another 1-2 days, before I bring them to the vet? Or is it an emergency?

Thank you for reading my question and have a good day.

Sorry to hear that your kitties are under the weather!

It's definitely possible that your cats have an upper respiratory tract infection. These types of things are contagious between cats. Of course there is a possibility that there is something else going on, but most likely an upper respiratory virus is the culprit.

Here are some criteria that I use to help determine whether a cat needs to see the vet for symptoms like this:

-How is their appetite? If they are eating at least half of their normal amount of food then it's ok to wait a few days. But, if it's less than half and it goes on for more than 24 hours then it's not a good idea to wait. If a cat goes without food for a couple of days then they are at risk for getting a serious condition called fatty liver.

-Is there any green or yellow discharge? If there is a green or yellow discharge from the eyes or nose then this may mean a bacterial problem in which case they would need antibiotics.

For now, it's probably ok to keep an eye on them. You can encourage them to eat by heating up some canned cat food. (Make sure it's not too hot though!). The heated food will be smellier and if they are stuffed up, they can smell heated food better.

If their appetites are getting worse rather than better then I'd have them checked out. We're making the assumption that this is a flu-like problem but it could be something else like ingestion of a toxic substance such as a plant. This wouldn't cause a cat to have throat irritation but could cause the hiding and lack of appetite.

I hope they improve soon!

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (4998 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (4893 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (9930 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5742 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (20443 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (31277 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (26849 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (4972 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (11712 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (14327 views)