Cats not eating.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair/
Viral Infection in Throat?

I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia).

1 cat came down with flu-like symptoms (fever, stopped eating) for 2 days. Now he’s back to eating, but showing signs of some irritation in his throat. No coughing, No vomiting, just frequent gagging.

2nd cat ended up with the exact symptom of throat irritation and has been hiding at 1 corner of the house. This has been going on for 1.5 days.

Both cats are still eating (less than usual, but still eating), but the 2nd cat is hiding all the time. He will only eat when I put the food bowl in front of him.

My 3rd cat is fine for now :)

As I just spent around US$1,500 on my cat’s constipation last month, I am reluctant to bring them to the vets again.

Can I monitor their situation for another 1-2 days, before I bring them to the vet? Or is it an emergency?

Thank you for reading my question and have a good day.

Sorry to hear that your kitties are under the weather!

It's definitely possible that your cats have an upper respiratory tract infection. These types of things are contagious between cats. Of course there is a possibility that there is something else going on, but most likely an upper respiratory virus is the culprit.

Here are some criteria that I use to help determine whether a cat needs to see the vet for symptoms like this:

-How is their appetite? If they are eating at least half of their normal amount of food then it's ok to wait a few days. But, if it's less than half and it goes on for more than 24 hours then it's not a good idea to wait. If a cat goes without food for a couple of days then they are at risk for getting a serious condition called fatty liver.

-Is there any green or yellow discharge? If there is a green or yellow discharge from the eyes or nose then this may mean a bacterial problem in which case they would need antibiotics.

For now, it's probably ok to keep an eye on them. You can encourage them to eat by heating up some canned cat food. (Make sure it's not too hot though!). The heated food will be smellier and if they are stuffed up, they can smell heated food better.

If their appetites are getting worse rather than better then I'd have them checked out. We're making the assumption that this is a flu-like problem but it could be something else like ingestion of a toxic substance such as a plant. This wouldn't cause a cat to have throat irritation but could cause the hiding and lack of appetite.

I hope they improve soon!

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6401 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24277 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6673 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (138915 views)

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (7320 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20365 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6804 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10292 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (7674 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8282 views)