Cats not eating.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair/
Viral Infection in Throat?

I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia).

1 cat came down with flu-like symptoms (fever, stopped eating) for 2 days. Now he’s back to eating, but showing signs of some irritation in his throat. No coughing, No vomiting, just frequent gagging.

2nd cat ended up with the exact symptom of throat irritation and has been hiding at 1 corner of the house. This has been going on for 1.5 days.

Both cats are still eating (less than usual, but still eating), but the 2nd cat is hiding all the time. He will only eat when I put the food bowl in front of him.

My 3rd cat is fine for now :)

As I just spent around US$1,500 on my cat’s constipation last month, I am reluctant to bring them to the vets again.

Can I monitor their situation for another 1-2 days, before I bring them to the vet? Or is it an emergency?

Thank you for reading my question and have a good day.

Sorry to hear that your kitties are under the weather!

It's definitely possible that your cats have an upper respiratory tract infection. These types of things are contagious between cats. Of course there is a possibility that there is something else going on, but most likely an upper respiratory virus is the culprit.

Here are some criteria that I use to help determine whether a cat needs to see the vet for symptoms like this:

-How is their appetite? If they are eating at least half of their normal amount of food then it's ok to wait a few days. But, if it's less than half and it goes on for more than 24 hours then it's not a good idea to wait. If a cat goes without food for a couple of days then they are at risk for getting a serious condition called fatty liver.

-Is there any green or yellow discharge? If there is a green or yellow discharge from the eyes or nose then this may mean a bacterial problem in which case they would need antibiotics.

For now, it's probably ok to keep an eye on them. You can encourage them to eat by heating up some canned cat food. (Make sure it's not too hot though!). The heated food will be smellier and if they are stuffed up, they can smell heated food better.

If their appetites are getting worse rather than better then I'd have them checked out. We're making the assumption that this is a flu-like problem but it could be something else like ingestion of a toxic substance such as a plant. This wouldn't cause a cat to have throat irritation but could cause the hiding and lack of appetite.

I hope they improve soon!

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (13222 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (10521 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (16489 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (14550 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9288 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (10626 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (5502 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (10314 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (6878 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (12579 views)