Hole on puppy's head.

Breed: German Shepherd
My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a hole on the top of its head filled with blood and with one eye open. What's wrong with it and what should I do?

Sorry to hear that this has happened! It sounds like this puppy has been born with some congenital (birth defects).

Unfortunately this is a tough one to give you much advice on without examining the little one.

It does sound like a vet visit is necessary. Unfortunately, often when there is a congenital defect there are more problems. There is a possibility that this pup won't survive.

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (40688 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (4801 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (26403 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (7003 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21514 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7325 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10160 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9786 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (16675 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19957 views)