Hair loss at base of tail.

Breed: American Short hair
My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald spots.Is there a way to stop this? And is it a serious disease?

By far the most common reason for a cat to pull her hair out in this area is fleas, even if you can't see them. This is so common that I wrote an article about it:

Seriously, your pet has fleas.

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (27173 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (14734 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (48804 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (12477 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (17231 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (110171 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (36655 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (54575 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (8185 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (13847 views)