Hair loss at base of tail.

Breed: American Short hair
My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald spots.Is there a way to stop this? And is it a serious disease?

By far the most common reason for a cat to pull her hair out in this area is fleas, even if you can't see them. This is so common that I wrote an article about it:

Seriously, your pet has fleas.

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (6542 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (39169 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (9568 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (20388 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15592 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7236 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (18240 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (43016 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (18056 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22340 views)