Hair loss at base of tail.

Breed: American Short hair
My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald spots.Is there a way to stop this? And is it a serious disease?

By far the most common reason for a cat to pull her hair out in this area is fleas, even if you can't see them. This is so common that I wrote an article about it:

Seriously, your pet has fleas.

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (17398 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10258 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (29422 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (8617 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (8908 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15055 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7308 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (12784 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (8071 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (9617 views)