Hair loss at base of tail.

Breed: American Short hair
My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald spots.Is there a way to stop this? And is it a serious disease?

By far the most common reason for a cat to pull her hair out in this area is fleas, even if you can't see them. This is so common that I wrote an article about it:

Seriously, your pet has fleas.

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (25440 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (11663 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (11662 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (11979 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (24027 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (11184 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (40745 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (20026 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (14564 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (8423 views)