Hair loss at base of tail.

Breed: American Short hair
My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald spots.Is there a way to stop this? And is it a serious disease?

By far the most common reason for a cat to pull her hair out in this area is fleas, even if you can't see them. This is so common that I wrote an article about it:

Seriously, your pet has fleas.

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (18079 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (11891 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (13267 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9345 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11773 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (31381 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15537 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (14563 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6990 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (20429 views)