Profender and pregnant women.

Breed: Tabby
Hi there Dr. Marie

This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering if you can help.

I'm currently in the very early stages of pregnancy after a miscarriage earlier this year so I've been trying to do everything right.

anyway today I was applying a topical wormer (profender) to my cat and despite asking someone to hold him I got a little of the solution on my skin which I immediately washed. Having read online (my vet just gave me the solution no instructions) I see that it is marked as dangerous to pregnant woman!! Do you think that a small amount which was washed off quickly would do any harm?

Many Thanks.

Congrats on your pregnancy! I have just had a baby myself. She is now 7 weeks old. And I was in a similar boat to you having had a miscarriage in early pregnancy before as well. I understand your concerns.

I had to do some research for you to determine why they say that pregnant women should avoid contact with this drug.

First of all, if you washed it immediately then this risk is extremely small. It would have to be absorbed to get into your system.

I found this research article on praziquantel in pregnant women:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15251403

It sounds like they were using it to treat women in Sudan who had a particular type of parasite. The results of the study were that the praziquantel had no effect on the pregnancy. And these women would have had much higher dosages than what you possibly could have received.

The other drug in profender is emodepside. Here is some information that I found helpful:

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/veterinary/000097/WC500063849.pdf

What I found was that pregnant rats who received high doses of this drug had significant birth defects in their offspring. However, the dosage had to be high. When they talked about its use in pregnant cats, here is what they said,

"a single time point administration of the test
product during pregnancy is likely to be well tolerated in the target species, and that the risk of
reproductive toxicity to end users is low
"

The study also said the following:

"“Although the product was
well tolerated by pregnant cats, studies performed in rats and rabbits suggest that emodepside may
interfere with embryo-foetal development. Therefore, women of child-bearing potential should avoid
contact with, or wear disposable gloves when administering the product”
"

I would interpret all of this to say that the risk to a pregnant woman is really really low. And given that you washed off the product you should be absolutely fine.

Because there have not been any studies done directly on humans and this drug they can't say for certain whether there is a risk. If there is even a tiny possibility of risk then they need to put this on the label in order to cover themselves legally.

Now, with all of this being said, I am not a human physician. I would recommend contacting your physician to ask this question.

I know when I was pregnant I worried about an awful lot of things that I shouldn't have worried about. Realistically, if pregnant women who got some of this on their skin were really in danger of having babies with birth defects then the drug would be so quickly pulled off the market.

I hope this has eased your mind. I pray that your pregnancy goes well!

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11046 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9227 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (11022 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8725 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (6831 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (15626 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54361 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10060 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (5469 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (21849 views)