Profender and pregnant women.

Breed: Tabby
Hi there Dr. Marie

This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering if you can help.

I'm currently in the very early stages of pregnancy after a miscarriage earlier this year so I've been trying to do everything right.

anyway today I was applying a topical wormer (profender) to my cat and despite asking someone to hold him I got a little of the solution on my skin which I immediately washed. Having read online (my vet just gave me the solution no instructions) I see that it is marked as dangerous to pregnant woman!! Do you think that a small amount which was washed off quickly would do any harm?

Many Thanks.

Congrats on your pregnancy! I have just had a baby myself. She is now 7 weeks old. And I was in a similar boat to you having had a miscarriage in early pregnancy before as well. I understand your concerns.

I had to do some research for you to determine why they say that pregnant women should avoid contact with this drug.

First of all, if you washed it immediately then this risk is extremely small. It would have to be absorbed to get into your system.

I found this research article on praziquantel in pregnant women:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15251403

It sounds like they were using it to treat women in Sudan who had a particular type of parasite. The results of the study were that the praziquantel had no effect on the pregnancy. And these women would have had much higher dosages than what you possibly could have received.

The other drug in profender is emodepside. Here is some information that I found helpful:

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/veterinary/000097/WC500063849.pdf

What I found was that pregnant rats who received high doses of this drug had significant birth defects in their offspring. However, the dosage had to be high. When they talked about its use in pregnant cats, here is what they said,

"a single time point administration of the test
product during pregnancy is likely to be well tolerated in the target species, and that the risk of
reproductive toxicity to end users is low
"

The study also said the following:

"“Although the product was
well tolerated by pregnant cats, studies performed in rats and rabbits suggest that emodepside may
interfere with embryo-foetal development. Therefore, women of child-bearing potential should avoid
contact with, or wear disposable gloves when administering the product”
"

I would interpret all of this to say that the risk to a pregnant woman is really really low. And given that you washed off the product you should be absolutely fine.

Because there have not been any studies done directly on humans and this drug they can't say for certain whether there is a risk. If there is even a tiny possibility of risk then they need to put this on the label in order to cover themselves legally.

Now, with all of this being said, I am not a human physician. I would recommend contacting your physician to ask this question.

I know when I was pregnant I worried about an awful lot of things that I shouldn't have worried about. Realistically, if pregnant women who got some of this on their skin were really in danger of having babies with birth defects then the drug would be so quickly pulled off the market.

I hope this has eased your mind. I pray that your pregnancy goes well!

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6717 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14049 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (23644 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8329 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12692 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (9630 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22139 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (21855 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (47807 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (23358 views)