Coughing and not eating chihuahua

Breed: Chihuahua mix
My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he began coughing and didnt want to eat. Here in Arizona the heat is unbearable so I kept him wet and gave him water everyday. This week has been stressful. He has lost a lot of weight, his eyes often times are swollen and shut with mucus and his panting has become more like a struggle to
Breath. I have given cocky some benadryl, water with a little pedialite in it and Fed him with a tube. Although his breathing problems come and go he is also very tired and lazy and he won't walk as much. I cannot afford a vet right now because my older dog recently died from
Cancer and the cancer treatments hurt my bank account. What can I do??

Oh, poor Cocky. He really sounds sick.

I'm really concerned that he has a serious virus such as distemper. Unfortunately if it is distemper it may be life threatening.

It is also possible that he has a very severe case of kennel cough (bordetella) which has progressed into pneumonia. But, kennel cough doesn't usually cause eye problems.

Cocky really does need to see a veterinarian. It sounds like, at minimum, he needs some antibiotics. Unfortunately he won't be able to get antibiotics without seeing a vet.

If you have some financial problems, this list of ways to help pay vet bills might be helpful.

Until you can get to the vet's you can try putting Cocky in a steamy bathroom for a few minutes to see if this will loosen up some of his congestion.

I wish I could give you more at home remedies, but I can't stress enough how important it is to have a vet see Cocky. It's possible that with some antibiotics he will start to recover. But, the longer we wait, the sicker he is going to become. This really doesn't sound like something he is going to get over on his own.

I really hope he is ok!

Thank you so much for your information. I took cocky to the vet and he gave him some antibiotics for pneumonia and also thought it could be distemper but was not too sure. I started seeing though after the vet visit that cocky was dropping a lot of mucus from his nose. The color what somewhat yellow with a hint of red. Could that be because of the medication?

I'm glad to hear that he's on medication. Let's hope this is not distemper!

The medication really shouldn't cause any nasal discharge. It sounds like this is just part of the set of symptoms that he has.

I really hope he responds to his antibiotics!

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (46903 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (30811 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (7735 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (20496 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (111688 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (12961 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (8013 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (14362 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (9916 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (11137 views)