Coughing and not eating chihuahua

Breed: Chihuahua mix
My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he began coughing and didnt want to eat. Here in Arizona the heat is unbearable so I kept him wet and gave him water everyday. This week has been stressful. He has lost a lot of weight, his eyes often times are swollen and shut with mucus and his panting has become more like a struggle to
Breath. I have given cocky some benadryl, water with a little pedialite in it and Fed him with a tube. Although his breathing problems come and go he is also very tired and lazy and he won't walk as much. I cannot afford a vet right now because my older dog recently died from
Cancer and the cancer treatments hurt my bank account. What can I do??

Oh, poor Cocky. He really sounds sick.

I'm really concerned that he has a serious virus such as distemper. Unfortunately if it is distemper it may be life threatening.

It is also possible that he has a very severe case of kennel cough (bordetella) which has progressed into pneumonia. But, kennel cough doesn't usually cause eye problems.

Cocky really does need to see a veterinarian. It sounds like, at minimum, he needs some antibiotics. Unfortunately he won't be able to get antibiotics without seeing a vet.

If you have some financial problems, this list of ways to help pay vet bills might be helpful.

Until you can get to the vet's you can try putting Cocky in a steamy bathroom for a few minutes to see if this will loosen up some of his congestion.

I wish I could give you more at home remedies, but I can't stress enough how important it is to have a vet see Cocky. It's possible that with some antibiotics he will start to recover. But, the longer we wait, the sicker he is going to become. This really doesn't sound like something he is going to get over on his own.

I really hope he is ok!

Thank you so much for your information. I took cocky to the vet and he gave him some antibiotics for pneumonia and also thought it could be distemper but was not too sure. I started seeing though after the vet visit that cocky was dropping a lot of mucus from his nose. The color what somewhat yellow with a hint of red. Could that be because of the medication?

I'm glad to hear that he's on medication. Let's hope this is not distemper!

The medication really shouldn't cause any nasal discharge. It sounds like this is just part of the set of symptoms that he has.

I really hope he responds to his antibiotics!

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (5994 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6514 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7199 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (24817 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (22354 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (5977 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9118 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (18999 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7518 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12741 views)