Coughing and not eating chihuahua

Breed: Chihuahua mix
My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he began coughing and didnt want to eat. Here in Arizona the heat is unbearable so I kept him wet and gave him water everyday. This week has been stressful. He has lost a lot of weight, his eyes often times are swollen and shut with mucus and his panting has become more like a struggle to
Breath. I have given cocky some benadryl, water with a little pedialite in it and Fed him with a tube. Although his breathing problems come and go he is also very tired and lazy and he won't walk as much. I cannot afford a vet right now because my older dog recently died from
Cancer and the cancer treatments hurt my bank account. What can I do??

Oh, poor Cocky. He really sounds sick.

I'm really concerned that he has a serious virus such as distemper. Unfortunately if it is distemper it may be life threatening.

It is also possible that he has a very severe case of kennel cough (bordetella) which has progressed into pneumonia. But, kennel cough doesn't usually cause eye problems.

Cocky really does need to see a veterinarian. It sounds like, at minimum, he needs some antibiotics. Unfortunately he won't be able to get antibiotics without seeing a vet.

If you have some financial problems, this list of ways to help pay vet bills might be helpful.

Until you can get to the vet's you can try putting Cocky in a steamy bathroom for a few minutes to see if this will loosen up some of his congestion.

I wish I could give you more at home remedies, but I can't stress enough how important it is to have a vet see Cocky. It's possible that with some antibiotics he will start to recover. But, the longer we wait, the sicker he is going to become. This really doesn't sound like something he is going to get over on his own.

I really hope he is ok!

Thank you so much for your information. I took cocky to the vet and he gave him some antibiotics for pneumonia and also thought it could be distemper but was not too sure. I started seeing though after the vet visit that cocky was dropping a lot of mucus from his nose. The color what somewhat yellow with a hint of red. Could that be because of the medication?

I'm glad to hear that he's on medication. Let's hope this is not distemper!

The medication really shouldn't cause any nasal discharge. It sounds like this is just part of the set of symptoms that he has.

I really hope he responds to his antibiotics!

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5496 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (11056 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7389 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (126919 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16189 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (89701 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (17959 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26763 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7487 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (7685 views)