Puppy is leaking urine.

Breed: bullmastiff
Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The dog daycare i've taken her too has mentioned it many times and i chalked it up to young age but now im more concerned. Yesterday she got up to run and play and the urine just ran out. She has also peed laying down. Her urine does not smell strong or appear dark in color. She seems totally unable to control it also is this something common to bullmastiffs. Thankyou

There are a few things that can cause a puppy to not be able to hold her pee like you have described.

She may have an ectopic ureter. I drew a picture to help explain what an ectopic ureter is:

ectopic ureter picture

The normal side is labelled as Kidney #1. The ureter is the tube that takes urine from the kidney to the bladder. Note how on the side of Kidney #1 the ureter empties into the bladder.

But, on Kidney #2, the ureter goes past the bladder and empties into the vagina. If this happens the vagina can't hold urine like the bladder can and so it empties out which results in a dog that leaks urine.

The way that a vet tests for an ectopic ureter is by doing an xray using medication that is injected that allows them to see urine pass from the kidneys, through the ureters and then see where it goes.

Some dogs with an ectopic ureter can be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that she has a medical problem such as a urinary tract infection or crystals in her urine. Both of these cause inflammation that makes her feel like she has to pee all the time. Your vet can determine this with a urine test.

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (11894 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (15524 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11043 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (8161 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (11825 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (35419 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (18475 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (31139 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (18517 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8411 views)