Spay a nursing cat?

Breed: Sylvester-type
Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it possible to spay a nursing mother cat?

Yes, a nursing mom can be spayed, but it is a more difficult surgery. The vet will need to make an incision through mammary glands that are full of milk.

It really is best to wait until the kittens are weaned off before spaying her but you can talk to your vet and see how they feel about doing surgery on her while she still has milk.

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (8063 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (6307 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (15142 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (7814 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (44153 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (8133 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (18820 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (7014 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (17127 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (7613 views)