Spay a nursing cat?

Breed: Sylvester-type
Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it possible to spay a nursing mother cat?

Yes, a nursing mom can be spayed, but it is a more difficult surgery. The vet will need to make an incision through mammary glands that are full of milk.

It really is best to wait until the kittens are weaned off before spaying her but you can talk to your vet and see how they feel about doing surgery on her while she still has milk.

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (12280 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (24348 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (10219 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (49985 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (7683 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (11046 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (11807 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (14032 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (24775 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (9839 views)