Spay a nursing cat?

Breed: Sylvester-type
Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it possible to spay a nursing mother cat?

Yes, a nursing mom can be spayed, but it is a more difficult surgery. The vet will need to make an incision through mammary glands that are full of milk.

It really is best to wait until the kittens are weaned off before spaying her but you can talk to your vet and see how they feel about doing surgery on her while she still has milk.

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (17789 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (18265 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (57039 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (63919 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (13938 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (27864 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (14227 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (40484 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (13228 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (9883 views)