Spay a nursing cat?

Breed: Sylvester-type
Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it possible to spay a nursing mother cat?

Yes, a nursing mom can be spayed, but it is a more difficult surgery. The vet will need to make an incision through mammary glands that are full of milk.

It really is best to wait until the kittens are weaned off before spaying her but you can talk to your vet and see how they feel about doing surgery on her while she still has milk.

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (9910 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (31451 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (19591 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (7864 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7170 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (9582 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8132 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (104141 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11067 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7512 views)