Thumping back legs.

Breed: Maine Coon
My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and continued to throw up all day. He has withdrawn.
Any ideas? He thumps both feet, maybe every 15 minutes.
Thank you

Hi Katie. Those are strange symptoms. Can you tell me more about how Hobbes thumps his feet? Does he just suddenly stomp his back feet down? When he does it, does he do it repeatedly? Is it possible he is scratching? Also,

Does he seem to have any trouble jumping up on to things?

Is he eating ok?

I'm just trying to understand the thumping as this is not a normal symptom I'd see in cats!

I've never seen anything like it. When he's lying down, he pushes out one or both feet and thumps on the surface. When he's walking, he acts like something is stuck to one foot at a time (nothing is). He isn't scratching, and he jumps just fine. He's not eating. He is drinking water.

Interesting. So, it sounds like he is suddenly jerking his back leg or legs.

Any time a cat does not want to eat there is a medical reason for it. If a cat is not eating and vomiting and this goes on for more than a day then I always, always recommend a vet exam. When we combine those symptoms with the strange leg symptoms, an exam is definitely recommended.

I can think of a few possibilities, but I must admit that the thumping has me stumped. I've seen some cats thump their back legs because of pain at the end of their spine called lumbosacral pain. However, this wouldn't cause vomiting and should also cause him to have difficulty jumping.

I've also had cats do strange twitching and flexing movements with their back legs because of fleas. (I guess the itchiness just makes them feel really uncomfortable). However this shouldn't cause vomiting and lack of appetite.

A serious heart condition called aortoiliac thrombosis (or saddle thrombus) could cause a cat to lose some feeling in their legs. This can cause vomiting and a lack of appetite too. I am really hoping this is not a saddle thrombus because usually it is a fatal condition. Cats with saddle thrombus will have very cold feeling back feet. Feel the temperature of Hobbes' back feet compared to his front. Usually if there is a saddle thrombus the difference is quite obvious.

It's also possible that some abdominal cramping could be causing his feet to kick out, but I can't say that I've ever seen that before!

I'm sorry I don't have an exact answer for you, but what you have described would have me advise to have a vet see Hobbes as soon as possible.

I really hope he is ok. If you get an answer from your vet on what is causing the thumping, please post back and let me know.

Thank you very much. I'll take him to the vet when I can find him. (He's strictly indoors.)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (9555 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (41772 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (14429 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (17713 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (8658 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (13439 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (7641 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (14266 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (6014 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4362 views)