Thumping back legs.

Breed: Maine Coon
My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and continued to throw up all day. He has withdrawn.
Any ideas? He thumps both feet, maybe every 15 minutes.
Thank you

Hi Katie. Those are strange symptoms. Can you tell me more about how Hobbes thumps his feet? Does he just suddenly stomp his back feet down? When he does it, does he do it repeatedly? Is it possible he is scratching? Also,

Does he seem to have any trouble jumping up on to things?

Is he eating ok?

I'm just trying to understand the thumping as this is not a normal symptom I'd see in cats!

I've never seen anything like it. When he's lying down, he pushes out one or both feet and thumps on the surface. When he's walking, he acts like something is stuck to one foot at a time (nothing is). He isn't scratching, and he jumps just fine. He's not eating. He is drinking water.

Interesting. So, it sounds like he is suddenly jerking his back leg or legs.

Any time a cat does not want to eat there is a medical reason for it. If a cat is not eating and vomiting and this goes on for more than a day then I always, always recommend a vet exam. When we combine those symptoms with the strange leg symptoms, an exam is definitely recommended.

I can think of a few possibilities, but I must admit that the thumping has me stumped. I've seen some cats thump their back legs because of pain at the end of their spine called lumbosacral pain. However, this wouldn't cause vomiting and should also cause him to have difficulty jumping.

I've also had cats do strange twitching and flexing movements with their back legs because of fleas. (I guess the itchiness just makes them feel really uncomfortable). However this shouldn't cause vomiting and lack of appetite.

A serious heart condition called aortoiliac thrombosis (or saddle thrombus) could cause a cat to lose some feeling in their legs. This can cause vomiting and a lack of appetite too. I am really hoping this is not a saddle thrombus because usually it is a fatal condition. Cats with saddle thrombus will have very cold feeling back feet. Feel the temperature of Hobbes' back feet compared to his front. Usually if there is a saddle thrombus the difference is quite obvious.

It's also possible that some abdominal cramping could be causing his feet to kick out, but I can't say that I've ever seen that before!

I'm sorry I don't have an exact answer for you, but what you have described would have me advise to have a vet see Hobbes as soon as possible.

I really hope he is ok. If you get an answer from your vet on what is causing the thumping, please post back and let me know.

Thank you very much. I'll take him to the vet when I can find him. (He's strictly indoors.)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (11023 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (32561 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (15335 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (14676 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (8363 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (9499 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (8219 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (14516 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (12483 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (11416 views)