Thumping back legs.

Breed: Maine Coon
My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and continued to throw up all day. He has withdrawn.
Any ideas? He thumps both feet, maybe every 15 minutes.
Thank you

Hi Katie. Those are strange symptoms. Can you tell me more about how Hobbes thumps his feet? Does he just suddenly stomp his back feet down? When he does it, does he do it repeatedly? Is it possible he is scratching? Also,

Does he seem to have any trouble jumping up on to things?

Is he eating ok?

I'm just trying to understand the thumping as this is not a normal symptom I'd see in cats!

I've never seen anything like it. When he's lying down, he pushes out one or both feet and thumps on the surface. When he's walking, he acts like something is stuck to one foot at a time (nothing is). He isn't scratching, and he jumps just fine. He's not eating. He is drinking water.

Interesting. So, it sounds like he is suddenly jerking his back leg or legs.

Any time a cat does not want to eat there is a medical reason for it. If a cat is not eating and vomiting and this goes on for more than a day then I always, always recommend a vet exam. When we combine those symptoms with the strange leg symptoms, an exam is definitely recommended.

I can think of a few possibilities, but I must admit that the thumping has me stumped. I've seen some cats thump their back legs because of pain at the end of their spine called lumbosacral pain. However, this wouldn't cause vomiting and should also cause him to have difficulty jumping.

I've also had cats do strange twitching and flexing movements with their back legs because of fleas. (I guess the itchiness just makes them feel really uncomfortable). However this shouldn't cause vomiting and lack of appetite.

A serious heart condition called aortoiliac thrombosis (or saddle thrombus) could cause a cat to lose some feeling in their legs. This can cause vomiting and a lack of appetite too. I am really hoping this is not a saddle thrombus because usually it is a fatal condition. Cats with saddle thrombus will have very cold feeling back feet. Feel the temperature of Hobbes' back feet compared to his front. Usually if there is a saddle thrombus the difference is quite obvious.

It's also possible that some abdominal cramping could be causing his feet to kick out, but I can't say that I've ever seen that before!

I'm sorry I don't have an exact answer for you, but what you have described would have me advise to have a vet see Hobbes as soon as possible.

I really hope he is ok. If you get an answer from your vet on what is causing the thumping, please post back and let me know.

Thank you very much. I'll take him to the vet when I can find him. (He's strictly indoors.)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (18022 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13166 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (31858 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (10846 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7680 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (21639 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6561 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6362 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9064 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (6839 views)