Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy.

Breed: Unsure, nothing spec
Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved keeping her indoors to get use to the place, we've been here for about a week and a half she was sick for about three days (in the nights only) only just got better! Now she has a swollen tummy what could be wrong?!

Thanks for your question about your cat.

There are a few things that can cause a cat to be extra hungry.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a large amount? If so, diabetes is a possibility. Cats with diabetes will be hungry because their muscles do not get fed properly with glucose. Diabetes is treatable but takes a large commitment.

Parasites such as tapeworms can cause an increase in appetite and some weight loss, but usually the weight loss is not significant enough to notice. It's not a bad idea to give her a dose of dewormer.

Another concern that I have is for a virus called FIP. FIP can cause a large belly and weight loss. But, an increase in hunger is not normally associated with FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

Are you absolutely sure she is spayed? I have had several cases where owners received a cat from someone else and were told that they were spayed but they weren't. If you are not sure then she could be pregnant!

If this was my case I would be doing some general blood tests to find out if there are any viruses present or any other conditions such as diabetes.

She is drinking more water than she use to but that is compared to her hardly ever drinking the water we use to give her, we lived near treed area so she maybe use to drink water from other places?! The people we got her from gave us a letter from the vet confirming the spaying operation! So unless the vet lied?!? She is normally very active but she just is inside until we decide to allow her out, depending on her health and weather. I just don't want to go all the way to the vets as it is difficult for me, to find out she is just lazy, but I will get deworming tabs!

If you think there is an increase in thirst then this does have me concerned that diabetes could be possible. Usually diabetic cats will have large amounts of urine in the box as well. If you think this is happening then she really should see the vet.

I don't think there is any harm in trying the dewormer first. It's a good idea to repeat it in 2 weeks as well. This will help break the life cycle if roundworms are present.

Hope all goes well!

Ok I'll try deworming and letting her out soon as she is missing rounning round! But thank you very much. If those two fail vets it is... Thanks x

You're very welcome!

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (10138 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (24756 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (89018 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (10448 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (21334 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (9398 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (11086 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (21575 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (7372 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (8135 views)