Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy.

Breed: Unsure, nothing spec
Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved keeping her indoors to get use to the place, we've been here for about a week and a half she was sick for about three days (in the nights only) only just got better! Now she has a swollen tummy what could be wrong?!

Thanks for your question about your cat.

There are a few things that can cause a cat to be extra hungry.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a large amount? If so, diabetes is a possibility. Cats with diabetes will be hungry because their muscles do not get fed properly with glucose. Diabetes is treatable but takes a large commitment.

Parasites such as tapeworms can cause an increase in appetite and some weight loss, but usually the weight loss is not significant enough to notice. It's not a bad idea to give her a dose of dewormer.

Another concern that I have is for a virus called FIP. FIP can cause a large belly and weight loss. But, an increase in hunger is not normally associated with FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

Are you absolutely sure she is spayed? I have had several cases where owners received a cat from someone else and were told that they were spayed but they weren't. If you are not sure then she could be pregnant!

If this was my case I would be doing some general blood tests to find out if there are any viruses present or any other conditions such as diabetes.

She is drinking more water than she use to but that is compared to her hardly ever drinking the water we use to give her, we lived near treed area so she maybe use to drink water from other places?! The people we got her from gave us a letter from the vet confirming the spaying operation! So unless the vet lied?!? She is normally very active but she just is inside until we decide to allow her out, depending on her health and weather. I just don't want to go all the way to the vets as it is difficult for me, to find out she is just lazy, but I will get deworming tabs!

If you think there is an increase in thirst then this does have me concerned that diabetes could be possible. Usually diabetic cats will have large amounts of urine in the box as well. If you think this is happening then she really should see the vet.

I don't think there is any harm in trying the dewormer first. It's a good idea to repeat it in 2 weeks as well. This will help break the life cycle if roundworms are present.

Hope all goes well!

Ok I'll try deworming and letting her out soon as she is missing rounning round! But thank you very much. If those two fail vets it is... Thanks x

You're very welcome!

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9524 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (16955 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5208 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15572 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (73616 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (7748 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4774 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (15933 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10615 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (6903 views)