Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy.

Breed: Unsure, nothing spec
Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved keeping her indoors to get use to the place, we've been here for about a week and a half she was sick for about three days (in the nights only) only just got better! Now she has a swollen tummy what could be wrong?!

Thanks for your question about your cat.

There are a few things that can cause a cat to be extra hungry.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a large amount? If so, diabetes is a possibility. Cats with diabetes will be hungry because their muscles do not get fed properly with glucose. Diabetes is treatable but takes a large commitment.

Parasites such as tapeworms can cause an increase in appetite and some weight loss, but usually the weight loss is not significant enough to notice. It's not a bad idea to give her a dose of dewormer.

Another concern that I have is for a virus called FIP. FIP can cause a large belly and weight loss. But, an increase in hunger is not normally associated with FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

Are you absolutely sure she is spayed? I have had several cases where owners received a cat from someone else and were told that they were spayed but they weren't. If you are not sure then she could be pregnant!

If this was my case I would be doing some general blood tests to find out if there are any viruses present or any other conditions such as diabetes.

She is drinking more water than she use to but that is compared to her hardly ever drinking the water we use to give her, we lived near treed area so she maybe use to drink water from other places?! The people we got her from gave us a letter from the vet confirming the spaying operation! So unless the vet lied?!? She is normally very active but she just is inside until we decide to allow her out, depending on her health and weather. I just don't want to go all the way to the vets as it is difficult for me, to find out she is just lazy, but I will get deworming tabs!

If you think there is an increase in thirst then this does have me concerned that diabetes could be possible. Usually diabetic cats will have large amounts of urine in the box as well. If you think this is happening then she really should see the vet.

I don't think there is any harm in trying the dewormer first. It's a good idea to repeat it in 2 weeks as well. This will help break the life cycle if roundworms are present.

Hope all goes well!

Ok I'll try deworming and letting her out soon as she is missing rounning round! But thank you very much. If those two fail vets it is... Thanks x

You're very welcome!

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (132849 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (8248 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7117 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (17557 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10248 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (17795 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4892 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (4825 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (15328 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (5282 views)