Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy.

Breed: Unsure, nothing spec
Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved keeping her indoors to get use to the place, we've been here for about a week and a half she was sick for about three days (in the nights only) only just got better! Now she has a swollen tummy what could be wrong?!

Thanks for your question about your cat.

There are a few things that can cause a cat to be extra hungry.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a large amount? If so, diabetes is a possibility. Cats with diabetes will be hungry because their muscles do not get fed properly with glucose. Diabetes is treatable but takes a large commitment.

Parasites such as tapeworms can cause an increase in appetite and some weight loss, but usually the weight loss is not significant enough to notice. It's not a bad idea to give her a dose of dewormer.

Another concern that I have is for a virus called FIP. FIP can cause a large belly and weight loss. But, an increase in hunger is not normally associated with FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

Are you absolutely sure she is spayed? I have had several cases where owners received a cat from someone else and were told that they were spayed but they weren't. If you are not sure then she could be pregnant!

If this was my case I would be doing some general blood tests to find out if there are any viruses present or any other conditions such as diabetes.

She is drinking more water than she use to but that is compared to her hardly ever drinking the water we use to give her, we lived near treed area so she maybe use to drink water from other places?! The people we got her from gave us a letter from the vet confirming the spaying operation! So unless the vet lied?!? She is normally very active but she just is inside until we decide to allow her out, depending on her health and weather. I just don't want to go all the way to the vets as it is difficult for me, to find out she is just lazy, but I will get deworming tabs!

If you think there is an increase in thirst then this does have me concerned that diabetes could be possible. Usually diabetic cats will have large amounts of urine in the box as well. If you think this is happening then she really should see the vet.

I don't think there is any harm in trying the dewormer first. It's a good idea to repeat it in 2 weeks as well. This will help break the life cycle if roundworms are present.

Hope all goes well!

Ok I'll try deworming and letting her out soon as she is missing rounning round! But thank you very much. If those two fail vets it is... Thanks x

You're very welcome!

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19429 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21702 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (4390 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (22032 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5716 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (17113 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (16260 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27287 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (10576 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9249 views)