Lump on dog's anus.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get any bigger and he has other bumps on him that the vet has said are cysts, so I wasn't worried about this one. When I got home tonight, there was blood on the kitchen floor, so I got a flashlight and check all of his paws. None of them had injuries. Then, I checked his backside-- and that's where it's coming from. That "bump" has burst open and is bleeding-- although it seems to be tapering off-- just a small amount now. It's Sunday and my vet isn't open. What do you think it is? Maybe anal glands? And should he go to the vet first thing tomorrow? Thanks so much.

Alison

Aw, sorry to hear that Basil has this problem. This is a tough question to answer without seeing the lump but I'll give you a few ideas.

If it is an anal sac problem, the lump will be in the following position (where one of the circles are):

position of anal glands

If you think this is the case, then yes, Basil should see a vet. Whether it is done on emergency or right away depends on his level of discomfort. If you feel that he is not bothered by it then it is totally ok to wait. Many times an anal sac abscess can be treated with medication, but sometimes surgery is needed.

It's also possible that Basil had a cyst or a benign tumor on his anus that has ruptured. Perhaps he caught it on something? Or rubbed his bum on the ground and opened it up? The answer here is really the same as the previous one. If it is bothersome he should be looked at right away. You'll know if it is bothersome because he will be constantly trying to lick it. Regardless it should be looked at at some point by a vet just to be sure it is not something that needs treatment. If it is just a ruptured cyst they may just clean it and have you monitor him.

I hope things work out ok.

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (22526 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (76009 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (20445 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (8529 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (10968 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (18127 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (24244 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (20124 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (22115 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (9977 views)