Lump on dog's anus.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get any bigger and he has other bumps on him that the vet has said are cysts, so I wasn't worried about this one. When I got home tonight, there was blood on the kitchen floor, so I got a flashlight and check all of his paws. None of them had injuries. Then, I checked his backside-- and that's where it's coming from. That "bump" has burst open and is bleeding-- although it seems to be tapering off-- just a small amount now. It's Sunday and my vet isn't open. What do you think it is? Maybe anal glands? And should he go to the vet first thing tomorrow? Thanks so much.

Alison

Aw, sorry to hear that Basil has this problem. This is a tough question to answer without seeing the lump but I'll give you a few ideas.

If it is an anal sac problem, the lump will be in the following position (where one of the circles are):

position of anal glands

If you think this is the case, then yes, Basil should see a vet. Whether it is done on emergency or right away depends on his level of discomfort. If you feel that he is not bothered by it then it is totally ok to wait. Many times an anal sac abscess can be treated with medication, but sometimes surgery is needed.

It's also possible that Basil had a cyst or a benign tumor on his anus that has ruptured. Perhaps he caught it on something? Or rubbed his bum on the ground and opened it up? The answer here is really the same as the previous one. If it is bothersome he should be looked at right away. You'll know if it is bothersome because he will be constantly trying to lick it. Regardless it should be looked at at some point by a vet just to be sure it is not something that needs treatment. If it is just a ruptured cyst they may just clean it and have you monitor him.

I hope things work out ok.

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (20900 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7083 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (32940 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (9244 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (14508 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (21069 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (9108 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (10012 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (14794 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (17966 views)