Lump on dog's anus.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get any bigger and he has other bumps on him that the vet has said are cysts, so I wasn't worried about this one. When I got home tonight, there was blood on the kitchen floor, so I got a flashlight and check all of his paws. None of them had injuries. Then, I checked his backside-- and that's where it's coming from. That "bump" has burst open and is bleeding-- although it seems to be tapering off-- just a small amount now. It's Sunday and my vet isn't open. What do you think it is? Maybe anal glands? And should he go to the vet first thing tomorrow? Thanks so much.

Alison

Aw, sorry to hear that Basil has this problem. This is a tough question to answer without seeing the lump but I'll give you a few ideas.

If it is an anal sac problem, the lump will be in the following position (where one of the circles are):

position of anal glands

If you think this is the case, then yes, Basil should see a vet. Whether it is done on emergency or right away depends on his level of discomfort. If you feel that he is not bothered by it then it is totally ok to wait. Many times an anal sac abscess can be treated with medication, but sometimes surgery is needed.

It's also possible that Basil had a cyst or a benign tumor on his anus that has ruptured. Perhaps he caught it on something? Or rubbed his bum on the ground and opened it up? The answer here is really the same as the previous one. If it is bothersome he should be looked at right away. You'll know if it is bothersome because he will be constantly trying to lick it. Regardless it should be looked at at some point by a vet just to be sure it is not something that needs treatment. If it is just a ruptured cyst they may just clean it and have you monitor him.

I hope things work out ok.

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8322 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7737 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8977 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10711 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (17808 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8128 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (9090 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14221 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (5969 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12435 views)