Lump on dog's anus.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get any bigger and he has other bumps on him that the vet has said are cysts, so I wasn't worried about this one. When I got home tonight, there was blood on the kitchen floor, so I got a flashlight and check all of his paws. None of them had injuries. Then, I checked his backside-- and that's where it's coming from. That "bump" has burst open and is bleeding-- although it seems to be tapering off-- just a small amount now. It's Sunday and my vet isn't open. What do you think it is? Maybe anal glands? And should he go to the vet first thing tomorrow? Thanks so much.

Alison

Aw, sorry to hear that Basil has this problem. This is a tough question to answer without seeing the lump but I'll give you a few ideas.

If it is an anal sac problem, the lump will be in the following position (where one of the circles are):

position of anal glands

If you think this is the case, then yes, Basil should see a vet. Whether it is done on emergency or right away depends on his level of discomfort. If you feel that he is not bothered by it then it is totally ok to wait. Many times an anal sac abscess can be treated with medication, but sometimes surgery is needed.

It's also possible that Basil had a cyst or a benign tumor on his anus that has ruptured. Perhaps he caught it on something? Or rubbed his bum on the ground and opened it up? The answer here is really the same as the previous one. If it is bothersome he should be looked at right away. You'll know if it is bothersome because he will be constantly trying to lick it. Regardless it should be looked at at some point by a vet just to be sure it is not something that needs treatment. If it is just a ruptured cyst they may just clean it and have you monitor him.

I hope things work out ok.

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (17031 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (12489 views)

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (13821 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (13614 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (19086 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10771 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (12539 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (14786 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (10084 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (44246 views)