Lump on dog's anus.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get any bigger and he has other bumps on him that the vet has said are cysts, so I wasn't worried about this one. When I got home tonight, there was blood on the kitchen floor, so I got a flashlight and check all of his paws. None of them had injuries. Then, I checked his backside-- and that's where it's coming from. That "bump" has burst open and is bleeding-- although it seems to be tapering off-- just a small amount now. It's Sunday and my vet isn't open. What do you think it is? Maybe anal glands? And should he go to the vet first thing tomorrow? Thanks so much.

Alison

Aw, sorry to hear that Basil has this problem. This is a tough question to answer without seeing the lump but I'll give you a few ideas.

If it is an anal sac problem, the lump will be in the following position (where one of the circles are):

position of anal glands

If you think this is the case, then yes, Basil should see a vet. Whether it is done on emergency or right away depends on his level of discomfort. If you feel that he is not bothered by it then it is totally ok to wait. Many times an anal sac abscess can be treated with medication, but sometimes surgery is needed.

It's also possible that Basil had a cyst or a benign tumor on his anus that has ruptured. Perhaps he caught it on something? Or rubbed his bum on the ground and opened it up? The answer here is really the same as the previous one. If it is bothersome he should be looked at right away. You'll know if it is bothersome because he will be constantly trying to lick it. Regardless it should be looked at at some point by a vet just to be sure it is not something that needs treatment. If it is just a ruptured cyst they may just clean it and have you monitor him.

I hope things work out ok.

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17440 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (8217 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9254 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (22094 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11963 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11442 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11226 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (30053 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (21421 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (5485 views)