Female dog leaking urine.

Breed: shepard mix
My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a female and she is fixed she goes a couple of days sometimes a week but than it starts all over again and it is several times a day for many days what can be wrong

thank you
theresa

There are a few reasons for a dog to leak urine, but the most common is something called urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence (USMI) . This used to be known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

USMI is always seen in dogs that are female and spayed. The theory is that the bladder needs a certain amount of estrogen to maintain its strength. When a dog is spayed there is less estrogen and this can make the bladder weaker.

What happens in a dog with USMI is that urine can leak out when they are resting or sleeping. So, if you are finding that your dog is leaking urine on the bed or couch or wherever she sleeps then this is likely what is going on.

There are two ways to treat USMI. One is with a drug called Phenylpropanolamine (PPA, or Propalin). The second is with a small estrogen supplement. There are pros and cons to each and possible side effects with each so it is best to talk to your vet about what they recommend.

Whenever I have a dog where I suspect USMI I always do tests on the urine first to see if there is another problem going on. If the dog has a problem that is causing more urine to be created, or if there is irritation in the bladder then this can cause urine to leak as well. Some possible causes for these include:

• Kidney problems

• Liver problems

• Diabetes

• A bladder infection

• Bladder stones

• Crystals in the urine

If the urine tests don't show a problem then my personal choice is to put the dog on an estrogen tablet that is taken once or twice a week. Most dogs need medication for the rest of their life.

I hope this helps!

Related:

Article on USMI in dogs.

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (10671 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (24053 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8792 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (6519 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (125621 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (22264 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (11325 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (38244 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (27950 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (71188 views)