Drooling and walking sideways.

Breed: Gloden Retriever
Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she tried to walk she was falling sideways, after about ten minutes she seemed back to normal,I am guessing she had a seizure of some kind, she is up to date on all shots, I havent used any new cleaning products in the home,what do I need to do to follow up? can I expect her to have more or could this have been a one time thing? She is 8 years old, I am just wondering do I take her to my Vet or are they just going to tell me just watch her and charge me 50.00 for the visit?

Thanks for your question.

Yes, these symptoms could have been a seizure. Another possibility is if she had a sudden drop in blood pressure. I have seen Golden Retrievers with spleen tumors that will suddenly start bleeding inside their abdomen. The sudden blood loss can cause them to be disoriented. Then, as the body reabsorbs the blood they are ok again.

My advice always is to have a vet visit if you are not sure what is going on. If there is a spleen tumor then if we catch it early enough it could be surgically removed and she may do just fine.

However, if this was a seizure then there will not be much your vet can do. We often don't know why pets seizure.

I would advise that you write down the date of this incident. If it happens frequently then definitely a vet visit is necessary.

I hope all is well!

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9830 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9163 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (8991 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9175 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14276 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (12523 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6255 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (45725 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (40366 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (89463 views)