Drooling and walking sideways.

Breed: Gloden Retriever
Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she tried to walk she was falling sideways, after about ten minutes she seemed back to normal,I am guessing she had a seizure of some kind, she is up to date on all shots, I havent used any new cleaning products in the home,what do I need to do to follow up? can I expect her to have more or could this have been a one time thing? She is 8 years old, I am just wondering do I take her to my Vet or are they just going to tell me just watch her and charge me 50.00 for the visit?

Thanks for your question.

Yes, these symptoms could have been a seizure. Another possibility is if she had a sudden drop in blood pressure. I have seen Golden Retrievers with spleen tumors that will suddenly start bleeding inside their abdomen. The sudden blood loss can cause them to be disoriented. Then, as the body reabsorbs the blood they are ok again.

My advice always is to have a vet visit if you are not sure what is going on. If there is a spleen tumor then if we catch it early enough it could be surgically removed and she may do just fine.

However, if this was a seizure then there will not be much your vet can do. We often don't know why pets seizure.

I would advise that you write down the date of this incident. If it happens frequently then definitely a vet visit is necessary.

I hope all is well!

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7329 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12497 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (26199 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (85466 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9698 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (19039 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13932 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9567 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (5239 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (15104 views)