Drooling and walking sideways.

Breed: Gloden Retriever
Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she tried to walk she was falling sideways, after about ten minutes she seemed back to normal,I am guessing she had a seizure of some kind, she is up to date on all shots, I havent used any new cleaning products in the home,what do I need to do to follow up? can I expect her to have more or could this have been a one time thing? She is 8 years old, I am just wondering do I take her to my Vet or are they just going to tell me just watch her and charge me 50.00 for the visit?

Thanks for your question.

Yes, these symptoms could have been a seizure. Another possibility is if she had a sudden drop in blood pressure. I have seen Golden Retrievers with spleen tumors that will suddenly start bleeding inside their abdomen. The sudden blood loss can cause them to be disoriented. Then, as the body reabsorbs the blood they are ok again.

My advice always is to have a vet visit if you are not sure what is going on. If there is a spleen tumor then if we catch it early enough it could be surgically removed and she may do just fine.

However, if this was a seizure then there will not be much your vet can do. We often don't know why pets seizure.

I would advise that you write down the date of this incident. If it happens frequently then definitely a vet visit is necessary.

I hope all is well!

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22231 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11613 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17196 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14025 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (30747 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8142 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (24759 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9345 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11620 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (9942 views)