Drooling and walking sideways.

Breed: Gloden Retriever
Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she tried to walk she was falling sideways, after about ten minutes she seemed back to normal,I am guessing she had a seizure of some kind, she is up to date on all shots, I havent used any new cleaning products in the home,what do I need to do to follow up? can I expect her to have more or could this have been a one time thing? She is 8 years old, I am just wondering do I take her to my Vet or are they just going to tell me just watch her and charge me 50.00 for the visit?

Thanks for your question.

Yes, these symptoms could have been a seizure. Another possibility is if she had a sudden drop in blood pressure. I have seen Golden Retrievers with spleen tumors that will suddenly start bleeding inside their abdomen. The sudden blood loss can cause them to be disoriented. Then, as the body reabsorbs the blood they are ok again.

My advice always is to have a vet visit if you are not sure what is going on. If there is a spleen tumor then if we catch it early enough it could be surgically removed and she may do just fine.

However, if this was a seizure then there will not be much your vet can do. We often don't know why pets seizure.

I would advise that you write down the date of this incident. If it happens frequently then definitely a vet visit is necessary.

I hope all is well!

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (29245 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (34444 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (23490 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (56661 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (14362 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (15758 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (15269 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (14408 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (8272 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (48801 views)