Drooling and walking sideways.

Breed: Gloden Retriever
Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she tried to walk she was falling sideways, after about ten minutes she seemed back to normal,I am guessing she had a seizure of some kind, she is up to date on all shots, I havent used any new cleaning products in the home,what do I need to do to follow up? can I expect her to have more or could this have been a one time thing? She is 8 years old, I am just wondering do I take her to my Vet or are they just going to tell me just watch her and charge me 50.00 for the visit?

Thanks for your question.

Yes, these symptoms could have been a seizure. Another possibility is if she had a sudden drop in blood pressure. I have seen Golden Retrievers with spleen tumors that will suddenly start bleeding inside their abdomen. The sudden blood loss can cause them to be disoriented. Then, as the body reabsorbs the blood they are ok again.

My advice always is to have a vet visit if you are not sure what is going on. If there is a spleen tumor then if we catch it early enough it could be surgically removed and she may do just fine.

However, if this was a seizure then there will not be much your vet can do. We often don't know why pets seizure.

I would advise that you write down the date of this incident. If it happens frequently then definitely a vet visit is necessary.

I hope all is well!

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (18731 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (13213 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (10739 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (14530 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (16585 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (8914 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (15917 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (25196 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (13041 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (7609 views)