Does Hartz flea treatment work?

Breed: black lab and lab/ba
My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it doesn't seem to be working. The dogs still have fleas, although not as many as they previously did, but now they also have horrid rashes all over them and they won't stop scratching and chewing. The poor guys are missing fur everywhere, have sores and scabs everywhere and keep chewing themselves until they bleed!! I don't know what to do for them and I feel horrible. All they do is cry and whine now. What can I do to help them and to alleviate the itching???

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

I can't tell you how frustrated I am over pet store flea products like Hartz, Zodiac and Biospot. They do not work! I don't understand why they are able to sell these products.

This year has been one of the worst years ever for fleas. I think this is because we are creating a population of fleas that is hard to kill. So, when you use a product like Hartz, you will kill some fleas, but the fleas that remain are the strong ones that withstood treatment. So, we end up with resistant fleas.

Unfortunately the products that do work to kill fleas are more expensive. The ones I recommend are Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution.

In many cases, after treating with one of the above products the skin problems will go away as well. However, sometimes dogs will have skin infections as a result of fleas. If this is the case then you will need to have medication prescribed by the vet in order to clear things up. There is no over the counter cream or medication that will be helpful.

I'm sorry for your frustrating experience. I wish I could give you more helpful advice, but it does sound like a vet visit will be necessary!

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11036 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (13790 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12044 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13503 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (33712 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6088 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (29640 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6034 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14164 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9882 views)