Does Hartz flea treatment work?

Breed: black lab and lab/ba
My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it doesn't seem to be working. The dogs still have fleas, although not as many as they previously did, but now they also have horrid rashes all over them and they won't stop scratching and chewing. The poor guys are missing fur everywhere, have sores and scabs everywhere and keep chewing themselves until they bleed!! I don't know what to do for them and I feel horrible. All they do is cry and whine now. What can I do to help them and to alleviate the itching???

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

I can't tell you how frustrated I am over pet store flea products like Hartz, Zodiac and Biospot. They do not work! I don't understand why they are able to sell these products.

This year has been one of the worst years ever for fleas. I think this is because we are creating a population of fleas that is hard to kill. So, when you use a product like Hartz, you will kill some fleas, but the fleas that remain are the strong ones that withstood treatment. So, we end up with resistant fleas.

Unfortunately the products that do work to kill fleas are more expensive. The ones I recommend are Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution.

In many cases, after treating with one of the above products the skin problems will go away as well. However, sometimes dogs will have skin infections as a result of fleas. If this is the case then you will need to have medication prescribed by the vet in order to clear things up. There is no over the counter cream or medication that will be helpful.

I'm sorry for your frustrating experience. I wish I could give you more helpful advice, but it does sound like a vet visit will be necessary!

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (9039 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (17495 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (15546 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (29038 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (9335 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (37114 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (56623 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (17558 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (11335 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (17240 views)