Does Hartz flea treatment work?

Breed: black lab and lab/ba
My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it doesn't seem to be working. The dogs still have fleas, although not as many as they previously did, but now they also have horrid rashes all over them and they won't stop scratching and chewing. The poor guys are missing fur everywhere, have sores and scabs everywhere and keep chewing themselves until they bleed!! I don't know what to do for them and I feel horrible. All they do is cry and whine now. What can I do to help them and to alleviate the itching???

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

I can't tell you how frustrated I am over pet store flea products like Hartz, Zodiac and Biospot. They do not work! I don't understand why they are able to sell these products.

This year has been one of the worst years ever for fleas. I think this is because we are creating a population of fleas that is hard to kill. So, when you use a product like Hartz, you will kill some fleas, but the fleas that remain are the strong ones that withstood treatment. So, we end up with resistant fleas.

Unfortunately the products that do work to kill fleas are more expensive. The ones I recommend are Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution.

In many cases, after treating with one of the above products the skin problems will go away as well. However, sometimes dogs will have skin infections as a result of fleas. If this is the case then you will need to have medication prescribed by the vet in order to clear things up. There is no over the counter cream or medication that will be helpful.

I'm sorry for your frustrating experience. I wish I could give you more helpful advice, but it does sound like a vet visit will be necessary!

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (86312 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (18258 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (16607 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (11185 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (15956 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (10090 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (15303 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (14645 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (15951 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (16151 views)