Biopsy?

Breed: golden
Dr,

As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools.

9 Days ago the specialist put him on sulcrate, tylosin, meclomide (?) a motility drug.

He's not vomited at all.
3 days into it his stools became hard and perfect. Then last Monday, I fed him a lot of his usual hypoallergenic treats (Medical, hydrolized chicken). Since Tuesday his stools have been hard/soft.

The vet says the next step is to biopsy to confirm a suspected eosphillic colitis.

Before we go to that invasive and expensive step, is there anything else we should reasonably consider?

I definitely agree that the biopsy is the next step. Your vets have really done everything else that could be done to try to get to a diagnosis.

Thanks for sending me the report from the referral vet. They have been very thorough! It really is looking like inflammatory bowel disease is possible. And, as you know, the only way to diagnose IBD is with biopsies.

Endoscopy really isn't terribly invasive. Max will have an anesthetic but really shouldn't have any pain afterwards.

I'm trying to rack my brain to think of other options, but can't at this point.

I hope you get some answers after the tests!

Is that hiber... bacteria not an option.

If it is IBD... I've read that in a young pup it can usually be controlled by medicines (pred, azath) and strict diet. Usually you can gradually diminish the meds and control it by diet alone.

Has this been your experience?

Is this IBD common in a dog Max's age? It all began when I tried to change foods!

I'm concerned because my last dog developped it at 12 yrs (biopsied) and was on hamburger and rice diet, aza and pred... and never saw a normal stool for the rest of his life and kept losing weight. Was this a different type?

Unrelated - is there a way to diminish the possibility of bloat? I've made sure Max is kept very quiet for 1 hr following meals.

Thanks

I'm so sorry for the delay Jay. I had some technical issues that kept me from getting my notifications last night.

The word that you're thinking of is helicobacter. This type of infection can definitely cause intermittent vomiting. However, soft stools and diarrhea are not normally a part of helicobacter.

I find that most of my cases of IBD are controlled quite well with small doses of pred. There are different degrees of IBD though and some dogs can require stronger medicines. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between IBD and some types of intestinal cancers. I don't think at all that Max has cancer, but it's possible that your previous dog did.

I'm not aware of a connection between IBD and bloat. While bloat can happen to any dog, it's not terribly common in Golden Retrievers. The only way that we know of to prevent bloat is to do a surgery to tack the stomach in place. I will do this for dogs that are prone to bloat such as Great Danes, but not often.

I just had one other thought. You may consider asking your vet about the possibility of Clostridium Perfringens. This is a bacteria that can cause chronic diarrhea. (However, it doesn't directly cause vomiting, so it doesn't fit completely). You can sometimes diagnose Clostridium with a DNA test but it's debatable sometimes how accurate the test is. The tylosin that he is on will usually treat Clostridium. So, one option would be to keep him on tylosin for several weeks and see if this clears the problem up. If so, some dogs with Clostridium need to stay on Tylosin for the rest of their life. If this happens there are no negative effects that I am aware of.

The initial suspicion was eosophilic colitis which I believe is related to an allergic reaction. The specialist said the prognosis for that was good.

However, yesturday I was using lots of Z/D Ultra for training purposes and today he has a bit of diahrea. Does that mean it's not likely to be eosophilic colitis? Does that necessarily mean a worse prognosis?

On Rice 7 Hamburger he does pretty well. Hard or near Hard stools consistently.

His scoping is Wednesday.

Jay

I'm not sure that I know the answer to your question Jay. Any answer I would give here would be merely speculation. It's likely best to wait until we get the scoping results and then go from there.

Max had the biopsies of upper and lower GI yesturday at 2 pm. Since then he's finished maybe 25% of his meals each time.
Though tonite he is active and alert to about 90% of normal.

Tonight he also started drinking normally.

When will he eat normally? Is it an issue 30 hours later?

Jay

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that question. The fact that he is bright and alert is good. I would imagine there could be some intestinal discomfort for a few days.

As long as things are getting better rather than worse I would consider that a good sign.

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (7279 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8060 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6193 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (24656 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32560 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (13075 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (12641 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12125 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13669 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (9858 views)