Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Short hair
I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it is not bothering him much. She said there is nothing wrong with his hear and he must get his teeth cleaned. But on listening to his heart he has a murmur. He is extremely active and there has not been any change in his behavior outside of shaking his head when I touch his ear. She stated that the murmur sounds like a level IV. They are waiting for the specialist to come in to do an ultra sound. My question is two fold: What is the probability that is not something he has always had and means nothing and even if they say there is no heart problem, should I authorize him being sedated to get his teeth cleaned?

Thanks for an interesting question.

I usually do get concerned when I hear a murmur in an older cat. While some animals can have murmurs that are present their whole life, this is probably not the case with a Grade 4 murmur. We grade murmurs on a scale of 0 to 6, so a 4 is significant.

There are a few possible reasons for a cat to have a murmur. Sometimes it can actually be present because of dental disease. When a cat has dental disease there can be a buildup of bacteria in the mouth. We believe that this bacteria can get into the blood stream and affect one of the heart valves. If this is the case the murmur may go away after the dental cleaning.

The other more serious concern with cats is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This happens when the heart walls are thickened. Cats with HCM can have normal lives and then as they get older the heart can start to fail. While there are some medicines that can help, they usually don't cure HCM.

The ultrasound will tell us a lot. The ultrasonographer will tell us if this murmur is serious or not. He or she will also be able to tell you how safe the anesthetic is which will help you with decision making.

I hope everything turns out ok!

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61455 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (28743 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10613 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (10693 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (39018 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (34619 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (11529 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (39960 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (17576 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (9179 views)