Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Short hair
I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it is not bothering him much. She said there is nothing wrong with his hear and he must get his teeth cleaned. But on listening to his heart he has a murmur. He is extremely active and there has not been any change in his behavior outside of shaking his head when I touch his ear. She stated that the murmur sounds like a level IV. They are waiting for the specialist to come in to do an ultra sound. My question is two fold: What is the probability that is not something he has always had and means nothing and even if they say there is no heart problem, should I authorize him being sedated to get his teeth cleaned?

Thanks for an interesting question.

I usually do get concerned when I hear a murmur in an older cat. While some animals can have murmurs that are present their whole life, this is probably not the case with a Grade 4 murmur. We grade murmurs on a scale of 0 to 6, so a 4 is significant.

There are a few possible reasons for a cat to have a murmur. Sometimes it can actually be present because of dental disease. When a cat has dental disease there can be a buildup of bacteria in the mouth. We believe that this bacteria can get into the blood stream and affect one of the heart valves. If this is the case the murmur may go away after the dental cleaning.

The other more serious concern with cats is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This happens when the heart walls are thickened. Cats with HCM can have normal lives and then as they get older the heart can start to fail. While there are some medicines that can help, they usually don't cure HCM.

The ultrasound will tell us a lot. The ultrasonographer will tell us if this murmur is serious or not. He or she will also be able to tell you how safe the anesthetic is which will help you with decision making.

I hope everything turns out ok!

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6802 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12438 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (22771 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9670 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7326 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (5307 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (8207 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (10727 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8724 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9680 views)