Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Short hair
I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it is not bothering him much. She said there is nothing wrong with his hear and he must get his teeth cleaned. But on listening to his heart he has a murmur. He is extremely active and there has not been any change in his behavior outside of shaking his head when I touch his ear. She stated that the murmur sounds like a level IV. They are waiting for the specialist to come in to do an ultra sound. My question is two fold: What is the probability that is not something he has always had and means nothing and even if they say there is no heart problem, should I authorize him being sedated to get his teeth cleaned?

Thanks for an interesting question.

I usually do get concerned when I hear a murmur in an older cat. While some animals can have murmurs that are present their whole life, this is probably not the case with a Grade 4 murmur. We grade murmurs on a scale of 0 to 6, so a 4 is significant.

There are a few possible reasons for a cat to have a murmur. Sometimes it can actually be present because of dental disease. When a cat has dental disease there can be a buildup of bacteria in the mouth. We believe that this bacteria can get into the blood stream and affect one of the heart valves. If this is the case the murmur may go away after the dental cleaning.

The other more serious concern with cats is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This happens when the heart walls are thickened. Cats with HCM can have normal lives and then as they get older the heart can start to fail. While there are some medicines that can help, they usually don't cure HCM.

The ultrasound will tell us a lot. The ultrasonographer will tell us if this murmur is serious or not. He or she will also be able to tell you how safe the anesthetic is which will help you with decision making.

I hope everything turns out ok!

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (10579 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (29115 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (6247 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (12327 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (27808 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (7348 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (7913 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (20988 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (12977 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (32548 views)