Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Short hair
I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it is not bothering him much. She said there is nothing wrong with his hear and he must get his teeth cleaned. But on listening to his heart he has a murmur. He is extremely active and there has not been any change in his behavior outside of shaking his head when I touch his ear. She stated that the murmur sounds like a level IV. They are waiting for the specialist to come in to do an ultra sound. My question is two fold: What is the probability that is not something he has always had and means nothing and even if they say there is no heart problem, should I authorize him being sedated to get his teeth cleaned?

Thanks for an interesting question.

I usually do get concerned when I hear a murmur in an older cat. While some animals can have murmurs that are present their whole life, this is probably not the case with a Grade 4 murmur. We grade murmurs on a scale of 0 to 6, so a 4 is significant.

There are a few possible reasons for a cat to have a murmur. Sometimes it can actually be present because of dental disease. When a cat has dental disease there can be a buildup of bacteria in the mouth. We believe that this bacteria can get into the blood stream and affect one of the heart valves. If this is the case the murmur may go away after the dental cleaning.

The other more serious concern with cats is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This happens when the heart walls are thickened. Cats with HCM can have normal lives and then as they get older the heart can start to fail. While there are some medicines that can help, they usually don't cure HCM.

The ultrasound will tell us a lot. The ultrasonographer will tell us if this murmur is serious or not. He or she will also be able to tell you how safe the anesthetic is which will help you with decision making.

I hope everything turns out ok!

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (7931 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6253 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11175 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9990 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7305 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (9659 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (11187 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (6588 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (15169 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (34399 views)