Limping Maltipoo.

Breed: maltipoo
My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs 6 lbs). Now she is limping. she can walk and run but after awhile she starts to limp again. She can still jump on the couch. is this possibly a sprain or hip injury? What can I give her for the pain? She usually stands on her hind legs alot but not so much now.

It is not sore to the touch nor is she whining.

PLease help!

Cordially,

Sorry to hear that Mitzi is limping.

These are always hard questions to answer online without being able to examine your dog.

This could be anything from a slight bruise to a fracture. I have a few things that may help you decide when to go to the vet when a dog is limping:

• If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled.

• If she is not eating for more than 12 hours then this is a sign of pain that should be addressed.

• If there is no improvement after 48 hours.

• If your gut is just telling you that something is wrong.

It may be that she has injured her kneecap as this is a fairly common injury in dogs. Sometimes these can get better with rest and medication but sometimes they do need surgery.

I would not advise any medication over the counter. If she is sore enough to need medications then she should get a prescription product that is safe for dogs.

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10461 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (26750 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (9028 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (8429 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (24444 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (25169 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6222 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (8024 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (22747 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13104 views)