Hungry and losing weight.

Breed: part simese
Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny, but lately she has been eating more and getting skinnier. Of greater concern to us- change in behaviour.
She has started pooping and peeing anywhere but in her box. When we catch her doing this she is completely oblivious to her unacceptable behaviour (we stopped scolding her- pointless). She also stopped sleeping on our bed and now curls up under the table almost all the time, or by her food dish- unusual for her. And she sleeps all the time.
She still purrs when we pet her, and there is no obvious pain or discomfort.
None the less- we are considering having her put down- we don't want to traumatize her or spend lots of money on diagnostics or treatment to prolong what seems to be end of life.
She really seems to have some form of feline dementia.
Please give us your thoughts
Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard.

The symptoms that you mentioned could indicate a number of different conditions. As cats get older there are several things that could cause them to lose weight and have the symptoms that you mentioned.

The first thing that comes to my mind though is something that is actually very treatable and that is hyperthyroidism. As cats get older the thyroid gland can become overactive. When this happens it causes an increase in appetite along with significant weight loss. The toilet training issues are not always directly related to hyperthyroidism but often when a cat urinates or defecates in places they shouldn't it can be because there is "something" going on that is causing them stress. Hyperthyroidism could definitely be that "something".

Hyperthyryoidism is something that is relatively easy to treat. Most cats do well on a small dose of medication given twice daily. It is not terribly expensive. Alternatively, there is a new type of food called y/d which can be very effective as well.

We do see cats that get dimentia. However, this shouldn't cause weight loss and an increase in appetite.

Some cats with inflammatory bowel disease can have weight loss and an increase in appetite, but usually these cats will have a lot of vomiting or diarrhea as well. The same thing goes for intestinal cancer.

It is really common for older cats to get significant kidney disease, but these cats have a reduced appetite.

I would highly advise having some blood tests done to see if this is a thyroid problem. If so, you may find that medication really helps!

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8403 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (23834 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (31266 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (12329 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5676 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (6994 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (7347 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (6638 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (49059 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9130 views)