Hungry and losing weight.

Breed: part simese
Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny, but lately she has been eating more and getting skinnier. Of greater concern to us- change in behaviour.
She has started pooping and peeing anywhere but in her box. When we catch her doing this she is completely oblivious to her unacceptable behaviour (we stopped scolding her- pointless). She also stopped sleeping on our bed and now curls up under the table almost all the time, or by her food dish- unusual for her. And she sleeps all the time.
She still purrs when we pet her, and there is no obvious pain or discomfort.
None the less- we are considering having her put down- we don't want to traumatize her or spend lots of money on diagnostics or treatment to prolong what seems to be end of life.
She really seems to have some form of feline dementia.
Please give us your thoughts
Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard.

The symptoms that you mentioned could indicate a number of different conditions. As cats get older there are several things that could cause them to lose weight and have the symptoms that you mentioned.

The first thing that comes to my mind though is something that is actually very treatable and that is hyperthyroidism. As cats get older the thyroid gland can become overactive. When this happens it causes an increase in appetite along with significant weight loss. The toilet training issues are not always directly related to hyperthyroidism but often when a cat urinates or defecates in places they shouldn't it can be because there is "something" going on that is causing them stress. Hyperthyroidism could definitely be that "something".

Hyperthyryoidism is something that is relatively easy to treat. Most cats do well on a small dose of medication given twice daily. It is not terribly expensive. Alternatively, there is a new type of food called y/d which can be very effective as well.

We do see cats that get dimentia. However, this shouldn't cause weight loss and an increase in appetite.

Some cats with inflammatory bowel disease can have weight loss and an increase in appetite, but usually these cats will have a lot of vomiting or diarrhea as well. The same thing goes for intestinal cancer.

It is really common for older cats to get significant kidney disease, but these cats have a reduced appetite.

I would highly advise having some blood tests done to see if this is a thyroid problem. If so, you may find that medication really helps!

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7313 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4706 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (27014 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32358 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11552 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (13072 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (6030 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15118 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (17798 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (114101 views)