Hungry and losing weight.

Breed: part simese
Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny, but lately she has been eating more and getting skinnier. Of greater concern to us- change in behaviour.
She has started pooping and peeing anywhere but in her box. When we catch her doing this she is completely oblivious to her unacceptable behaviour (we stopped scolding her- pointless). She also stopped sleeping on our bed and now curls up under the table almost all the time, or by her food dish- unusual for her. And she sleeps all the time.
She still purrs when we pet her, and there is no obvious pain or discomfort.
None the less- we are considering having her put down- we don't want to traumatize her or spend lots of money on diagnostics or treatment to prolong what seems to be end of life.
She really seems to have some form of feline dementia.
Please give us your thoughts
Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard.

The symptoms that you mentioned could indicate a number of different conditions. As cats get older there are several things that could cause them to lose weight and have the symptoms that you mentioned.

The first thing that comes to my mind though is something that is actually very treatable and that is hyperthyroidism. As cats get older the thyroid gland can become overactive. When this happens it causes an increase in appetite along with significant weight loss. The toilet training issues are not always directly related to hyperthyroidism but often when a cat urinates or defecates in places they shouldn't it can be because there is "something" going on that is causing them stress. Hyperthyroidism could definitely be that "something".

Hyperthyryoidism is something that is relatively easy to treat. Most cats do well on a small dose of medication given twice daily. It is not terribly expensive. Alternatively, there is a new type of food called y/d which can be very effective as well.

We do see cats that get dimentia. However, this shouldn't cause weight loss and an increase in appetite.

Some cats with inflammatory bowel disease can have weight loss and an increase in appetite, but usually these cats will have a lot of vomiting or diarrhea as well. The same thing goes for intestinal cancer.

It is really common for older cats to get significant kidney disease, but these cats have a reduced appetite.

I would highly advise having some blood tests done to see if this is a thyroid problem. If so, you may find that medication really helps!

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (16646 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (79022 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (32306 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (25304 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (10151 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (11788 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (9781 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (27222 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (26402 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (24525 views)