Hungry and losing weight.

Breed: part simese
Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny, but lately she has been eating more and getting skinnier. Of greater concern to us- change in behaviour.
She has started pooping and peeing anywhere but in her box. When we catch her doing this she is completely oblivious to her unacceptable behaviour (we stopped scolding her- pointless). She also stopped sleeping on our bed and now curls up under the table almost all the time, or by her food dish- unusual for her. And she sleeps all the time.
She still purrs when we pet her, and there is no obvious pain or discomfort.
None the less- we are considering having her put down- we don't want to traumatize her or spend lots of money on diagnostics or treatment to prolong what seems to be end of life.
She really seems to have some form of feline dementia.
Please give us your thoughts
Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard.

The symptoms that you mentioned could indicate a number of different conditions. As cats get older there are several things that could cause them to lose weight and have the symptoms that you mentioned.

The first thing that comes to my mind though is something that is actually very treatable and that is hyperthyroidism. As cats get older the thyroid gland can become overactive. When this happens it causes an increase in appetite along with significant weight loss. The toilet training issues are not always directly related to hyperthyroidism but often when a cat urinates or defecates in places they shouldn't it can be because there is "something" going on that is causing them stress. Hyperthyroidism could definitely be that "something".

Hyperthyryoidism is something that is relatively easy to treat. Most cats do well on a small dose of medication given twice daily. It is not terribly expensive. Alternatively, there is a new type of food called y/d which can be very effective as well.

We do see cats that get dimentia. However, this shouldn't cause weight loss and an increase in appetite.

Some cats with inflammatory bowel disease can have weight loss and an increase in appetite, but usually these cats will have a lot of vomiting or diarrhea as well. The same thing goes for intestinal cancer.

It is really common for older cats to get significant kidney disease, but these cats have a reduced appetite.

I would highly advise having some blood tests done to see if this is a thyroid problem. If so, you may find that medication really helps!

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (11033 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (12132 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (20870 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (25048 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (24679 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (94184 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (29136 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (14268 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (22070 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (16949 views)