Dog coughing.

Breed: Black Lab Mix
We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the process of moving and are therefore staying in a hotel that allows pets. Needless to say, this means that we walk her which is not something she's used to. The dog is always hyper, running all over and choking herself by pulling hard when we're walking her. Today, she started vomiting. It's mainly white and milky (a couple were clear and foamy) She's thrown up at least 10 times today and is constantly coughing and heaving. My wife thinks this was caused be her getting a real bad choke this morning during her walk. Is this the case, or could she have caught something? Should we be concerned to the point that she needs a vet tonight or will this pass? Again, we are moving so we don't really know the area but don't want to drive tomorrow if this is still going on. Thank you for your help.
Trevor

Ah, sorry to hear that you are going through this. Moving is stressful to start with and having a potentially sick dog doesn't help.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Gracie, what you have described really sounds like she has picked up kennel cough. Dogs with kennel cough often have a cough that sounds like something is stuck in their throat. (I often have a hard time convincing owners that there really isn't something stuck in their dog's throat.)

What you have described with the white, milky "vomit" is typical as well. Sometimes dogs can cough so much that they cough out phlegm, or they can cough to the point of vomiting.

If she did pick up kennel cough she got it from virus particles in the air. While it is most common for dogs to get it when they are in a kennel, really any dog can get it.

The good news is that it is usually more annoying than life threatening. It usually goes away on its own within a few days, but sometimes takes a couple of weeks.

When dogs have kennel cough they are very irritated in their trachea (windpipe). This is likely why there seems to be a connection between pulling the leash and her coughing. The leash will irritate the trachea.

There really isn't anything over the counter you can do for the cough. If it is really severe you can see a vet tomorrow for a prescription of cough suppressant. If you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from her nose or eyes then she may need antibiotics, but most dogs with kennel cough don't need antibiotics.

From what you have described it seems unlikely that she needs an emergency visit tonight. However, if she is really uncomfortable, then it may be necessary.

Please keep in mind that I can't diagnose your dog over the internet, so if she seems like she is really unwell then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope she feels better soon!

Unfortunately I will be heading offline now. (Your question came in just as I was turning off my online status, so I could go to bed!) If you wish to reply, I will get back to you in the morning.

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (9289 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (42103 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5236 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (38731 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (14722 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (28803 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (9602 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (10051 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (9016 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (20909 views)