Dog coughing.

Breed: Black Lab Mix
We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the process of moving and are therefore staying in a hotel that allows pets. Needless to say, this means that we walk her which is not something she's used to. The dog is always hyper, running all over and choking herself by pulling hard when we're walking her. Today, she started vomiting. It's mainly white and milky (a couple were clear and foamy) She's thrown up at least 10 times today and is constantly coughing and heaving. My wife thinks this was caused be her getting a real bad choke this morning during her walk. Is this the case, or could she have caught something? Should we be concerned to the point that she needs a vet tonight or will this pass? Again, we are moving so we don't really know the area but don't want to drive tomorrow if this is still going on. Thank you for your help.
Trevor

Ah, sorry to hear that you are going through this. Moving is stressful to start with and having a potentially sick dog doesn't help.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Gracie, what you have described really sounds like she has picked up kennel cough. Dogs with kennel cough often have a cough that sounds like something is stuck in their throat. (I often have a hard time convincing owners that there really isn't something stuck in their dog's throat.)

What you have described with the white, milky "vomit" is typical as well. Sometimes dogs can cough so much that they cough out phlegm, or they can cough to the point of vomiting.

If she did pick up kennel cough she got it from virus particles in the air. While it is most common for dogs to get it when they are in a kennel, really any dog can get it.

The good news is that it is usually more annoying than life threatening. It usually goes away on its own within a few days, but sometimes takes a couple of weeks.

When dogs have kennel cough they are very irritated in their trachea (windpipe). This is likely why there seems to be a connection between pulling the leash and her coughing. The leash will irritate the trachea.

There really isn't anything over the counter you can do for the cough. If it is really severe you can see a vet tomorrow for a prescription of cough suppressant. If you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from her nose or eyes then she may need antibiotics, but most dogs with kennel cough don't need antibiotics.

From what you have described it seems unlikely that she needs an emergency visit tonight. However, if she is really uncomfortable, then it may be necessary.

Please keep in mind that I can't diagnose your dog over the internet, so if she seems like she is really unwell then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope she feels better soon!

Unfortunately I will be heading offline now. (Your question came in just as I was turning off my online status, so I could go to bed!) If you wish to reply, I will get back to you in the morning.

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (18246 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (19902 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (11324 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (17592 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (33666 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (7471 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (9627 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (13225 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (11407 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (9499 views)