Boxer collapsed.

Breed: Boxer
Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We have previously had a male boxer who had Cardiomyopathy and we lost him just before his 6th birthday. As we have seen this happen before with him we took her straight to the heart specialist he used to see. She took some bloods and did a scan of her heart and said that apart from a Grade 1 heart murmur and 1 leaky valve her heart looked fine. She has since had another 2 episodes, one being quite bad and included her urinating and the other being quite mild. We have her booked in for a 24 ECG at the end of this week but what else could the problem be if it is not connected to her heart? She seems very confused while all this is happening but then is completly back to normal again.
Thanks
Laura

Sorry to hear that Candy is having these episodes. It is frightening to see your dog go through something like this, especially when you don't have a diagnosis!

As you know, boxers can be prone to heart murmurs. The most common reason for boxers to have heart problems is something called "boxer cardiomyopathy". Some boxers with cardiomyopathy will have a very enlarged heart. This would have been seen on the ultrasound. However, some have a normal looking heart on ultrasound, but will have rhythm problems with their hearts. Something called a Holter test is required to find out what kind of rhythm problems are there. (This is the 24 hour ECG).

Most likely the Holter test will determine that there is a heart condition present. The vet will likely prescribe a medication to help keep the rhythm normal. What they prescribe may depend on how severe the rhythm changes are that they see. They will likely want to repeat the 24 hr ECG test a few weeks into treatment to see if we are making a difference. If we are not, then they will try a different medication. They may also suggest a supplement called carnitine which helps some boxers with heart problems.

While there are other possibilities, boxer cardiomyopathy is the most likely.

Another possibility is that she is having a seizure. While many seizures will have obvious paddling and loss of consciousness, not all of them do. If your vet does not find any heart related illness they may talk about the possibility of her having epilepsy.

Another reason for a dog to collapse and have pale gums is if there is something bleeding internally such as a spleen tumor or a stomach ulcer. But given that she is young, and that she is totally normal when she's not having an "episode" neither of these are really likely.

I would be very surprised if this was not a heart issue though. A good number of dogs with heart problems like this can live full and healthy lives on medication.

I hope all is well!

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (22720 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8447 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10429 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7759 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (57699 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24053 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (18700 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9371 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14067 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (35649 views)