Limping Boxer.

Breed: Boxer
My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and he is still limping. I can not get him into the vet for 2 more days. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do for him until then? I am trying to get him to rest and stay off of it, but with him being a boxer he gets excited sometimes and bears weight on it. I calm him down and then he is non-weight bearing to that foot. Please help! Thank-you!

Sorry to hear that Smokey had an accident!

Unfortunately there really isn't an over the counter medication for pain that I recommend. I used to recommend aspirin for a day or two but I have seen too many dogs get stomach ulcers or have other serious problems as a result of aspirin so I don't recommend this anymore.

If Smokey will let you, you can try applying an ice pack to the paw for 10 minutes at a time a few times per day.

Also, keeping him as quiet as possible will help.

However, if he is still limping and it is now a week after the injury there is a possibility that there is a fracture there so it really should be seen by a vet soon.

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (21248 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (8013 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (12320 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6639 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (10853 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (8280 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (6888 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (8498 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20859 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (20946 views)