Limping Boxer.

Breed: Boxer
My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and he is still limping. I can not get him into the vet for 2 more days. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do for him until then? I am trying to get him to rest and stay off of it, but with him being a boxer he gets excited sometimes and bears weight on it. I calm him down and then he is non-weight bearing to that foot. Please help! Thank-you!

Sorry to hear that Smokey had an accident!

Unfortunately there really isn't an over the counter medication for pain that I recommend. I used to recommend aspirin for a day or two but I have seen too many dogs get stomach ulcers or have other serious problems as a result of aspirin so I don't recommend this anymore.

If Smokey will let you, you can try applying an ice pack to the paw for 10 minutes at a time a few times per day.

Also, keeping him as quiet as possible will help.

However, if he is still limping and it is now a week after the injury there is a possibility that there is a fracture there so it really should be seen by a vet soon.

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (9313 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4052 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10037 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9827 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (15409 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (13410 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7208 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6710 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (55524 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (10484 views)