Rat Lifespan? Sick rat.

Breed: Siamese Rat
My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes half shut, occasionally having a fit of rolling and twitching. We have been keeping him warm in a blanket, since which the fits have stopped, be he still shivers from time to time.

He has no coughing, wheezing or sneezing. There is no discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth. The symptoms occurred quickly as he was fine this afternoon. He is overweight, but not to a point where he is obesed and inactive. Before becoming ill, he was extremely active. His cage is 5 feet tall and he was all over every wall.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your rat is not doing well.

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. This means that Remy is possibly near the end of his life.

It's really hard to say what the problem could be. What you have described sounds like he is dying.

If Remy is still with us at this time I would advise a vet visit.

Sorry I can't give you more advice!

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15472 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16766 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (41268 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (55369 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7954 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (7931 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (8779 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11180 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (12817 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (14381 views)