Rat Lifespan? Sick rat.

Breed: Siamese Rat
My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes half shut, occasionally having a fit of rolling and twitching. We have been keeping him warm in a blanket, since which the fits have stopped, be he still shivers from time to time.

He has no coughing, wheezing or sneezing. There is no discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth. The symptoms occurred quickly as he was fine this afternoon. He is overweight, but not to a point where he is obesed and inactive. Before becoming ill, he was extremely active. His cage is 5 feet tall and he was all over every wall.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your rat is not doing well.

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. This means that Remy is possibly near the end of his life.

It's really hard to say what the problem could be. What you have described sounds like he is dying.

If Remy is still with us at this time I would advise a vet visit.

Sorry I can't give you more advice!

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (14891 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (9765 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (83478 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (5671 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (47853 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (20938 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (23937 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (12554 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (8580 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (15376 views)