Rat Lifespan? Sick rat.

Breed: Siamese Rat
My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes half shut, occasionally having a fit of rolling and twitching. We have been keeping him warm in a blanket, since which the fits have stopped, be he still shivers from time to time.

He has no coughing, wheezing or sneezing. There is no discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth. The symptoms occurred quickly as he was fine this afternoon. He is overweight, but not to a point where he is obesed and inactive. Before becoming ill, he was extremely active. His cage is 5 feet tall and he was all over every wall.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your rat is not doing well.

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. This means that Remy is possibly near the end of his life.

It's really hard to say what the problem could be. What you have described sounds like he is dying.

If Remy is still with us at this time I would advise a vet visit.

Sorry I can't give you more advice!

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (8969 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (24532 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (22689 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (22083 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (13830 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (18161 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (12538 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (53832 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (15416 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (7733 views)