Rat Lifespan? Sick rat.

Breed: Siamese Rat
My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes half shut, occasionally having a fit of rolling and twitching. We have been keeping him warm in a blanket, since which the fits have stopped, be he still shivers from time to time.

He has no coughing, wheezing or sneezing. There is no discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth. The symptoms occurred quickly as he was fine this afternoon. He is overweight, but not to a point where he is obesed and inactive. Before becoming ill, he was extremely active. His cage is 5 feet tall and he was all over every wall.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your rat is not doing well.

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. This means that Remy is possibly near the end of his life.

It's really hard to say what the problem could be. What you have described sounds like he is dying.

If Remy is still with us at this time I would advise a vet visit.

Sorry I can't give you more advice!

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (39601 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11175 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (4567 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (8448 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7098 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (50953 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9384 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9204 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (10973 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6291 views)