Rat Lifespan? Sick rat.

Breed: Siamese Rat
My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes half shut, occasionally having a fit of rolling and twitching. We have been keeping him warm in a blanket, since which the fits have stopped, be he still shivers from time to time.

He has no coughing, wheezing or sneezing. There is no discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth. The symptoms occurred quickly as he was fine this afternoon. He is overweight, but not to a point where he is obesed and inactive. Before becoming ill, he was extremely active. His cage is 5 feet tall and he was all over every wall.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your rat is not doing well.

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. This means that Remy is possibly near the end of his life.

It's really hard to say what the problem could be. What you have described sounds like he is dying.

If Remy is still with us at this time I would advise a vet visit.

Sorry I can't give you more advice!

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (7879 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (5561 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9331 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8016 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (6584 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (8999 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (22052 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (17953 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (7419 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (45915 views)