Rat Lifespan? Sick rat.

Breed: Siamese Rat
My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes half shut, occasionally having a fit of rolling and twitching. We have been keeping him warm in a blanket, since which the fits have stopped, be he still shivers from time to time.

He has no coughing, wheezing or sneezing. There is no discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth. The symptoms occurred quickly as he was fine this afternoon. He is overweight, but not to a point where he is obesed and inactive. Before becoming ill, he was extremely active. His cage is 5 feet tall and he was all over every wall.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your rat is not doing well.

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. This means that Remy is possibly near the end of his life.

It's really hard to say what the problem could be. What you have described sounds like he is dying.

If Remy is still with us at this time I would advise a vet visit.

Sorry I can't give you more advice!

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (10584 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (5901 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11168 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18415 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9893 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (56531 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (16488 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16625 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12977 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (46651 views)