Rat Lifespan? Sick rat.

Breed: Siamese Rat
My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes half shut, occasionally having a fit of rolling and twitching. We have been keeping him warm in a blanket, since which the fits have stopped, be he still shivers from time to time.

He has no coughing, wheezing or sneezing. There is no discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth. The symptoms occurred quickly as he was fine this afternoon. He is overweight, but not to a point where he is obesed and inactive. Before becoming ill, he was extremely active. His cage is 5 feet tall and he was all over every wall.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your rat is not doing well.

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. This means that Remy is possibly near the end of his life.

It's really hard to say what the problem could be. What you have described sounds like he is dying.

If Remy is still with us at this time I would advise a vet visit.

Sorry I can't give you more advice!

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (28939 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (10589 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (7724 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (14794 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (22912 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (61343 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (11194 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (6688 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (21283 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (23922 views)